MY DREAM HOUSE

Discuss anything related to aquatic plants and aquascaping
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

MY DREAM HOUSE

Postby chanda.subhasis » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:16 am

Dear friends here is my first equipped planted aquarium just after 3 hours of plantation ( water is not still clear).
details are as follows:
1. tank dimension: 2' x 1.5' x 15''
2. filter: dophin canister D300
3. light: pll 2x55 watt
4. substrate: bottom layer- laterite,soilrite and ada on top
5. co2: DIY (2 bottles)
6. flora: background- limnophila aquatica(green), tonina sp. belem, alternanthara sp. burgundy, rotala rotudifolia (red).
midground- didiplis diandra, driftwood with pelia moss and java fern, one anubias
foreground- only monte carlo
some questions to the experts:
a) is there any other filter needed or not (tank capacity- approx 25 gallon)??
b) light capacity right for monte carlo or not??
c) photo period- 7 hours is it okay??
d) macro and micro should I apply after one month or more/less than that??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chanda.subhasis
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: MY DREAM HOUSE

Postby Kalyan » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:18 am

Hello Subhasis .. I have one query to ask that why did you use Amazonia with laterite and soilrite ??

By planting densely , you have done a good job. +1 for that. Do water changes frequently . Filtration is ok . Later if u think , then u can add a small wavemaker to increase the circulation. Light and photoperiod timing is ok . Start dosing Potassium from day one and if you are determined to change water 2 times a week , then you can start dosing Nitrate/Phosphate after a week and you can also start dosing micro now .

Overall the tank looks good :) Best of luck
ImageImage
Kalyan
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Somen » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:24 am

Nice start....
Looks good.
Somen
Any dead fish can flow down the river but it takes a live one to swim back up stream.
Somen
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby chanda.subhasis » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:59 am

Kalyan wrote:Hello Subhasis .. I have one query to ask that why did you use Amazonia with laterite and soilrite ??

dear kaiyan thanks for your kind reply. basically I used laterite (a thin layer only at the backgrond plants) for supplying iron to the roots of red leaf plants, and for soilrite there is no concrete reason behind it ;) a very small amount was left over to me after 1 time using. That's why I just sprinkled them at the midground.
Is there any problem I will face after using them??
regarding wave maker and micros : yes I have ordered them online- ebay (cheaper than buro da)
thanks again for guiding me, I need your help very keenly because I'm a newcomer on this path.
chanda.subhasis
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby zavenfoizon » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:43 pm

don't you think lighting is too much for your diy co2 tank?
zavenfoizon
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby sahajaydip » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:57 pm

Looks good.I also think light is bit high.You need to maintain constant high level flow of co2 for that much light.keep eye on anubias.
Thanks
Jaydip

'If you're going through hell, keep going'.

Mytank- http://www.kolkata-aquarium.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5342
sahajaydip
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Kalyan » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:59 pm

Keeping the light at higher side is what i prefer . Just use any liquid carbon may it be excel or glut and all will be ok ;)
ImageImage
Kalyan
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby chanda.subhasis » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:57 am

@zavenfoizon, sahajaydip, Kalyan thanks all of you for your kind suggestion. Yes according to watt/gallon concept light is in higher side. that's why I an going to use Glut( 25% solution) to maintain the co2 level at a higher side just to avoid algae.
I read from Tirtha"s suggestion on "Glut Glut Glut" thread that if we maintain a good co2 level always then we can avoid algae.. I am just trying to follow his advice.
chanda.subhasis
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Kalyan » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:14 am

It will benefit the plants , and when plants start consuming the nutrients with help of carbon , then no algae
ImageImage
Kalyan
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby aquarajan » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:27 am

This is a very nice tank that has been installed, I quite like it and will be very eager to know the updates about. Good job Subhasis, your hunger for knowledge and patience to learn new things will help you a lot I am sure.

I too feel that with DYI CO2 lighting is bit on the higher side. 2X36watts would've been better for the long run I reckon. I agree there are masters of the game, some of whom we already know who are geniuses in balancing the light:CO2 balance but to a learner like me its a tad risky for a first timer. I would also eager to know how you deal with that so you can merry well go ahead with the present setup and consider it a learning curve.

I agree with Jaydip, keep the CO2 flow constant and you can add a wavemaker for water circulation that will benefit the CO2 in dissolving in the tank.

I am amazed too by your substrate combination as this is a combination which I have never heard anyone using. But there's no harm in trying out new things, so maybe we all can learn how beneficial your substrate experimentation becomes in the long run.

I am sorry Subhasis, but I guess the Seachem products you ordered through e bay will never reach you. Kalyan and I too faced the same problem. They take orders for Seachem liquids but fail to deliver due to some stupid road permit reasons in West Bengal. The deliverer Mr. Vinit Desai will soon call you and give you the bad news I regret!!!

But awesome start brother, and keep posting the updates...
Cheers,
Rajan Bhaumik

"We've come too far to give up who we are..."
aquarajan
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Next

Return to Planted Tank Discussion