Nitrogen Cycle

Dedicated to the colorful world of cichlids
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Nitrogen Cycle

Postby Amitavac2016 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:00 am

Hi All,

I have a 4 feet cichlid aquarium where I have around 10 nos each of Johanni and Yellow Labs. I have two top filters, RS 388 and RS 388A each having a capacity of 1750 lph.

From what I understand Ammonia and Nitrites can be handled by the beneficial bacteria In the tank. However in case my Ammonia and Nitrites are within control but the Nitrates are on the higher side, what course of action should I take.

How often do I need to measure my Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrates in my tank.

Thanks in advance.
Amitava
Amitavac2016
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: Nitrogen Cycle

Postby Sushil » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:05 pm

Have you checked nitrates for the water source?
I do have a similar case, nitrate reduces once source water is passed through RO.
It is not practical to use RO for such large tank, fishes are happy even with higher nitrates.
I would say no need to measure those tests once your tank is settled with above fish load/filter, keep a regular water change and clean filters.
Rider of the storm

Sushil
Sushil
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby bappa » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:29 am

Hello
you change water every week ?
Thanks
BAPPA....

Math. The only place where people buy 60 watermelons and no one wonders why....:)
bappa
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Amitavac2016 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:17 pm

Yes. A 30% WC every week.Last WC on last friday.
A new development is that I am observing a slight hazy surface in the inside of the aquarium. Is this a sign of algae because of high nitrates in the aquarium. Please suggest future course of action.
Thanks in advance
Amitava
Amitavac2016
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby bappa » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:19 am

Hello
Its happen due to Overstocking or Overfeeding .
but you fish stock is fine so You will need to perform regular water changes.
hope with a week its will be fixed .
Thanks
Thanks
BAPPA....

Math. The only place where people buy 60 watermelons and no one wonders why....:)
bappa
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Amitavac2016 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:17 pm

Thanks for your reply. A quick update. As advised earlier I checked my water source. I checked the tap water in my home( Salt Lake, Kolkata) and found it to be high in nitrates.
This is the reason why in spite of regular WC my nitrate levels are not dropping to the desired levels. Is there any other way to reduce nitrates.
Thanks in advance.
Amitava
Amitavac2016
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby bappa » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:46 am

Amitavac2016 wrote:Thanks for your reply. A quick update. As advised earlier I checked my water source. I checked the tap water in my home( Salt Lake, Kolkata) and found it to be high in nitrates.
This is the reason why in spite of regular WC my nitrate levels are not dropping to the desired levels. Is there any other way to reduce nitrates.
Thanks in advance.
Amitava

you can use 20 litre jar water,I also using jar water for my tank but keep in mind before using JAR water whats is your current PH level .

jar water low PH that why not change large water change in one time .

Thanks
Thanks
BAPPA....

bappa
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby kumar » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:56 am

I am not sure what others are suggesting and why...crazy!

High nitrates is how high, do you have PPM to share? without that its just no use discussing about it being high. You could add a algae scrub etc methods to decrease, but first lets find whether its really high.

After cycle finishes your Nitrites and Ammonia both are expected to be zero or very low. Which is what you have now- right? so thats absolutely fine with nitrogen cycle.

Turbid/cloudy water with white haze generally means your cycle hasnt completed. Which means it could well be that tank is not cycled and fish are being traumatized. Very much possible that your test kits are fake, test your mineral water/ro drinking water to verify.

Share your tank pics, and it will tell a lot about your aquarium condition. Include details like lengthXbreadthXheight just 4feet wont tell much, food used, how much duration does filter run in a day
i luv fish + u luv fis=we luv wish

rahul wrote:It should not be like today planted ,tomorrow cichlid,day after tomorrow blackwater, next community, then marine ,then business and end up dying useless. Whatever you do do it well
kumar
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Amitavac2016 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:16 am

Thanks for the reply. I will try and answer to the best of my abilities.
The dimensions are 4 ft (length) x 2 ft (height) x 1.5 ft (width).
The top filters natually run 24 hours a day.
The water is not hazy or turbid. The inside glass surface was hazy probably due to algae. This has been cleaned during the last WC during Friday.
The fish do not appear to be stressed and are freely swimming.
I don't have a test kit myself and have been sending water samples to others who are testing it. I am absolutely confused as the results are varing wildly.
I think I will get my own kit. I am unable to attach photos due to attachment limitations. I wiĺ try to reduce the picture size and repost.
Thanks again
Amitava
Amitavac2016
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby Amitavac2016 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:43 am

Picture of my cichlid tank attached
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Amitavac2016
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Next

Return to Cichlids