Aquarium Automation

Time to build something new
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Aquarium Automation

Postby da_vipin » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:00 pm

Hi All,

I'm new here, thought of sharing my DIY arduino based aquarium automation build..

The interface is through bluetooth. I can control brightness of 3 LED channels individually. The features include timer for lights, fans, co2. Theres temperature sensors for Room and Tank. The fans are dependent on temperature of tank. There's also a DIY feeder made with servo motor and 3d printed parts. Feeding time can be set for upto 2 times a day. Macro and Trace fertilizers are dosed automatically. The dosing time, days and volume can be set individually.

Some pics;

LEDs:

Dosing Pumps

PCB

This project was completed around 6 months ago and it has been working great without any major issues. Recently I made a dedicated android app for this project, sharing some pics of it as well..

The App:

Temperature Graph:

The app retrieves log of 5 days from the microcontroller and then plots it into a graph. It shows some interesting facts! The room temperature can fluctuate drastically in just one hour, while the tank temperature responds gradually over a period of 3 - 4 hours. During 23/12/17 to 25/12/17, I had kept the fan settings as to turn on at 7am and turn off at 11pm, also the threshold tank temperature at which the fan will actually turn on was kept at 27 deg. However as you can see the tank temperature never touched 27deg, so the fans never turned on. But since 26/12/17 i changed the threshold temperature to 24deg and as you can observe the tank temperature is maintained at 24deg during 7 am to 11 pm after which the fans are switched off and temperature rises to ambient room temp at night. At some point the difference in room and tank temp was 6 deg! Shows how effective a simple cooling fan can be... If i keep some realistic temperature threshold, say 28deg during summers, i hope the tank temperature to remain constant throughout day. The fans will automatically turn on and off every few minutes if deviation is observed..

And finally, the tank which does not bothers me much except for weekly trimming and water changes :)

Regards
da_vipin
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: Aquarium Automation

Postby mr_feynman » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:11 pm

da_vipin wrote:Hi All,

I'm new here, thought of sharing my DIY arduino based aquarium automation build..

The interface is through bluetooth. I can control brightness of 3 LED channels individually. The features include timer for lights, fans, co2. Theres temperature sensors for Room and Tank. The fans are dependent on temperature of tank. There's also a DIY feeder made with servo motor and 3d printed parts. Feeding time can be set for upto 2 times a day. Macro and Trace fertilizers are dosed automatically. The dosing time, days and volume can be set individually.

Some pics;

LEDs:

Dosing Pumps

PCB

This project was completed around 6 months ago and it has been working great without any major issues. Recently I made a dedicated android app for this project, sharing some pics of it as well..

The App:

Temperature Graph:

The app retrieves log of 5 days from the microcontroller and then plots it into a graph. It shows some interesting facts! The room temperature can fluctuate drastically in just one hour, while the tank temperature responds gradually over a period of 3 - 4 hours. During 23/12/17 to 25/12/17, I had kept the fan settings as to turn on at 7am and turn off at 11pm, also the threshold tank temperature at which the fan will actually turn on was kept at 27 deg. However as you can see the tank temperature never touched 27deg, so the fans never turned on. But since 26/12/17 i changed the threshold temperature to 24deg and as you can observe the tank temperature is maintained at 24deg during 7 am to 11 pm after which the fans are switched off and temperature rises to ambient room temp at night. At some point the difference in room and tank temp was 6 deg! Shows how effective a simple cooling fan can be... If i keep some realistic temperature threshold, say 28deg during summers, i hope the tank temperature to remain constant throughout day. The fans will automatically turn on and off every few minutes if deviation is observed..

And finally, the tank which does not bothers me much except for weekly trimming and water changes :)

Regards

Excellent work! :YMAPPLAUSE:
Mine is Arduino Mega...
mr_feynman
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby suku_patel_22 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:42 pm

Excellent, I would love to know what parts you used and the code as well. If possible could you share it with us?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
suku_patel_22
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby da_vipin » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:11 am

Thanks Mr_Feynman & Suku_Patel.

The parts used are Arduino Pro Mini, DS1307 Clock, HC05 Bluetooth Module, DS18B20 Temperature sensors, LM2596 and Mini 360 DC Converter, Meanwell LDD drivers, MG390S Servo, 12VDC coil solenoid valve for CO2 regulator, 6VDC Peristaltic Pumps, Logic level mosfets for controlling - Fans, Bluetooth Module, Solenoid Valve, Dosing Pumps...

As for the code, sorry i cant share it. But I can help you out if you get stuck somewhere. I have extensively used String Class functions for BLE interface, which is quite easy once you start working with it.

Regards,
da_vipin
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby mithun » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:13 am

Hello Vipin,

brilliant clean work there. why have you opted for HC05 rather than ESPs which could be more versatile with Internet in place and remote interfacing would be much easier!

Also, could you please share the source of those peristaltic pumps, looks pretty good build quality!
Mithun
M:8583865385
Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:If you want something done in a better way, do it yourself.

My 220Gal reef journal | My 150Gal reef journal
mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby da_vipin » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:16 am

Thanks mithun da, I have used HC05 for its simplicity. Not as complicated as ESPs. I bought the pumps from aliexpress..

Regards,
da_vipin
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby mithun » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:18 am

Thanks... found them! How are they performing? vibrations/jittery etc or smooth rotation?

I had made an Autodoser before with different pumps from AE. they ended up being too jittery after a month or so and needed frequent calibration!
Mithun
Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:If you want something done in a better way, do it yourself.

mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby da_vipin » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:33 am

mithun wrote:Thanks... found them! How are they performing? vibrations/jittery etc or smooth rotation?

I had made an Autodoser before with different pumps from AE. they ended up being too jittery after a month or so and needed frequent calibration!

Hi, yes they vibrate a bit when unmounted. But once tightened to frame it is not much noticeable. They have been working fine till now, but since you mentioned i'll keep a close eye /:)

Regards,
da_vipin
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby kumar » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:37 am

wow! you made it look so simple using HC-05. Awesome man! I shouldnt have broke me head on ESP, rather looked up to simple to start solution.
i luv fish + u luv fis=we luv wish

rahul wrote:It should not be like today planted ,tomorrow cichlid,day after tomorrow blackwater, next community, then marine ,then business and end up dying useless. Whatever you do do it well
kumar
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby mithun » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:59 pm

you are now offending ESP lovers :P with boards like LoLin32s' out ESP is piece of cake now.. more power, more connectivity, all for just a few pennies
Mithun

mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to DIY Projects