Pros and cons of having fauna in an planted tank

Discuss anything and everything related to freshwater fish keeping
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Pros and cons of having fauna in an planted tank

Postby jaganidishant » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:09 am

Hello,
This question might be considered a noob question but i think a very important one. What are really the benefits of having fish and other fauna in an planted tank ?
Opposing conventional wisdom , many hobbyist don't have fauna in our aquariums, which can really be surprising to non- hobbyists as the main thing to look in an aquarium for them, are the fishes.
We already know that fish waste provides nutrients for plant growth ,but on the other hand one can play with water parameters more if no fauna is present.There are many more points such as these on both sides of the argument.
Therefore, would like fellow members to provide valuable inputs in this topic .
Thank you.
Dishant Jagani
jaganidishant
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: Pros and cons of having fauna in an planted tank

Postby Calcuttan » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:01 pm

In Walstad method presence of fish in the tank is a must. I think a little uneaten commercial food meant for the fauna is good for a hi-tech planted tank. Certain deficiencies don't crop up, I am told. Also fish health is a good indicator of the tank's water chemistry. Some fish also actively clear algae. So it does make sense to have fish in the tank.
Please PM me for regular FREE clippings of HM, tripartita mini, AR mini and RR hi-red
Calcuttan
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Sumit K Sen » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:11 pm

None that are insurmountable if water plant gardening is your hobby I think. But a planted tank is like a lovely forest - it should have moving lifeforms to make it feel like a living forest. Imagine going to a National Park and not seeing any animals :)
Plus, and it is a big plus, most people who you want to show your tank to want to see attractive fish in it. A tank without moving life is possibly a very private hobby.
Cheers!
Sumit K Sen
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby jaganidishant » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:16 pm

Sumit K Sen wrote:But a planted tank is like a lovely forest - it should have moving lifeforms to make it feel like a living forest. Imagine going to a National Park and not seeing any animals :)

Great point.That would surely be a weird situation .:)
Dishant Jagani
jaganidishant
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby jaganidishant » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:18 pm

P.s - I am not suggesting that one shouldn't keep fauna ,just weighing the pros and cons. After all fish are the primary elements of the hobby
Dishant Jagani
jaganidishant
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby sahajaydip » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:45 pm

As many suggested keeping fish in planted tank has several benefits.However in planted tank where your primary focus is plant growth there fish is secondary.And its not always be true a beautiful planted tank will always have an ideal parameters for fishes.Moreover most beautiful nano and pico tanks are not ideal home for most of the fishes due to small water volume and rapid changes of parameters.
Thanks
Jaydip

'If you're going through hell, keep going'.

Mytank- http://www.kolkata-aquarium.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5342
sahajaydip
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby aquarajan » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:41 am

jaganidishant wrote:
Sumit K Sen wrote:But a planted tank is like a lovely forest - it should have moving lifeforms to make it feel like a living forest. Imagine going to a National Park and not seeing any animals :)

Great point.That would surely be a weird situation .:)

I cannot agree more with Sumit da. Bang on to the point! But I feel one should choose the livestock of a tank according to tank size and plant volume so that fishes/inverts can move freely. The main aspect of having a planted tank is that we are trying to replicate a favourable envioronment for the livestock to thrive at their best and hence points like sizes and amount of fishes, compatibility, proper place for fishes/inverts to hide or rest and taking care of fishes as much as taking care of the plants are important!
Cheers,
Rajan Bhaumik

"We've come too far to give up who we are..."
aquarajan
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby SanamMarik » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:11 pm

aquarajan wrote:The main aspect of having a planted tank is that we are trying to replicate a favourable envioronment for the livestock to thrive at their best and hence points like sizes and amount of fishes, compatibility, proper place for fishes/inverts to hide or rest and taking care of fishes as much as taking care of the plants are important!

I believe by 'livestock' you meant plants and 'fishes/inverts' too and hence i have two points-
1) The main aspect of having a planted tank is that we are trying to replicate a favourable envioronment for the livestock to thrive at their best For Plants I agree. anything else I dont.
2) why then do we have the concept of biotopes? :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Postby SanamMarik » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:53 pm

Sumit K Sen wrote: But a planted tank is like a lovely forest - it should have moving lifeforms to make it feel like a living forest. Imagine going to a National Park and not seeing any animals :)
Plus, and it is a big plus, most people who you want to show your tank to want to see attractive fish in it. A tank without moving life is possibly a very private hobby.
Cheers!

A few difference in pov here-
1) a tank can be compared to a private landscape but not a forest. Forest/national parks dont need human intervention to keep their beauty intact. Howevr, a private landscape needs quite gud amount of labor. So does our tanks. Now keeping fauna is upto d owner and no general rules apply.

2) do we make tanks just for people to say it beautiful? I guess if people praise it, dat helps, else do we really pay any attention to what people say who have no idea of what a planted tank is! A v simple thing it is that a scientist discovers a lump of rock which is shiny nd keeps in d showcase. If d owner has d abilities, dat stone can b made to have so much value that he can get murdered. Moral is- its upto us nd our confidence how people see our tanks. If we dont find it complete in d first place, none will, no matter what we do.

I request to give it a thought nd share ur views. :)
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Postby Sumit K Sen » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:06 am

SanamMarik wrote:
Sumit K Sen wrote: But a planted tank is like a lovely forest - it should have moving lifeforms to make it feel like a living forest. Imagine going to a National Park and not seeing any animals :)
Cheers!

A few difference in pov here-
1) a tank can be compared to a private landscape but not a forest. Forest/national parks dont need human intervention to keep their beauty intact. Howevr, a private landscape needs quite gud amount of labor. So does our tanks. Now keeping fauna is upto d owner and no general rules apply.

2) do we make tanks just for people to say it beautiful? I guess if people praise it, dat helps, else do we really pay any attention to what people say who have no idea of what a planted tank is! A v simple thing it is that a scientist discovers a lump of rock which is shiny nd keeps in d showcase. If d owner has d abilities, dat stone can b made to have so much value that he can get murdered. Moral is- its upto us nd our confidence how people see our tanks. If we dont find it complete in d first place, none will, no matter what we do.

I request to give it a thought nd share ur views. :)

Each to his/her own :)
My point of view was conveyed in my post.
Cheers!
Sumit K Sen
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Next

Return to General Fishkeeping