Truth about garlic

Discuss anything and everything related to freshwater fish keeping
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Truth about garlic

Postby karmakar_kgp » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:54 am

Garlic has been used in the aquarium hobby for a long time, but what it is actually capable of is highly debated among hobbyist. At the very least it serves as an effective appetite stimulant. But what else it can actually do is where the debate starts.

Garlic is an effective appetite enhancer. This can be invaluable when getting newly acquired fish to eat. For this purpose almost any form of garlic can be used. Freshly pressed garlic, liquid garlic products made for aquarium use, and even most foods with garlic in them can all be effective. Be aware that some foods barely have any garlic in them, enough to put in bold letters on the front of the package but not enough to actually do anything.

Some people consider garlic to be an immune system booster and compare it to Vitamin C in humans. However, I have never had anyone produce any factual data to support this idea. This idea seems to be unfounded and simply regurgitated over and over without any factual support.

The most powerful component of garlic is a chemical it contains called Allicin. Allicin is the chemical in garlic that does have the power to actively and directly kill parasites. It has been shown in scientific studies to actively kill parasites including freshwater ich, marine white spot (also known as marine ich), and others.

The experiences of many hobbyist support the idea that garlic alone can kill parasites. Many people have used it to treat marine white spot in a reef where almost no medications can be safely used and the ones that can be used are hit or miss at best. Others have successfully used it to treat freshwater ich and other illnesses. Many hobbyist who feed garlic in some or the other form say garlic helps to kill some parasites, report a significant decrease in the overall frequency of any health problems when they use it as the only food for an extended period of time (years).

Some studies have even shown that Allicin can actively kill some fungi, bacteria, and even viruses. This shows that it has the potential to kill a wide range of pathogens.

The form of garlic used is important. Many foods contain garlic, but it is frequently simply not enough of it to have a significant effect on parasites, or is not in the right form. The most effective form is freshly pressed garlic. The juice can be used to soak food in or it can be diced and pressed and the garlic pieces mixed in with the usual food.
Source # finsnfeathers
karmakar_kgp
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: Truth about garlic

Postby mr_feynman » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:20 pm

Very nice write up!
I used to keep angels once upon a time... garlic was very effective on them! True!
mr_feynman
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Tirtha » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:58 am

Nice write up. I am making this sticky.
Regards,
Tirtha

A Bad Attitude is like a Flat Tyre. You cannot go anywhere until you change it.
Tirtha
Admin
Admin

Postby mr_feynman » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:27 pm

Tirtha wrote:Nice write up. I am making this sticky.

Hi Tirtha Da,

I have one lil' advice :
Can you make a forum thread which has the following attributes:

1. titbits of information as @karmakar_kgp posted -- may be named as "WOW! Do You Know!"

2. I, personally know this info for around 10 years, but many new comers in hobby may not know or they are not a good googler than many of us can do! So, I don't scold/curse them for not knowing that info. What I can suggest that may be KAC having a 'micro encyclopedia' thread raised and maintained my KACian themselves -- like crowd funded project?

3. No one can comment on the information shared - only like button kind of think. The point is, many times the original information gets lost when people started chattering and sometimes starts fighting/ trolling! =))

4. When someone adds a "WOW! Do You Know!" post, this must be reviewed by at least two experts/ moderators and is then made public.

Please let me know what you think.
mr_feynman
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Calcuttan » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:26 am

Thanks for this information. I didn't know about it. This is particularly relevant for me because my betta has suddenly stopped eating (no other behavioural change though). Not quite suddenly perhaps. I have recently given him a better home with a thermostat and very clean water, relatively speaking, compared to his previous home. For whatever reason, ever since coming to the new set up he has hardly touched any food. In the last couple of days particularly, he has not touched anything. I am a little worried about him.

Any theory on the garlic dosage? He is right now in a 1x1x1 cube with a bog wood and some java fern which was there in his earlier tank also. He loves sleeping on the wood near the surface of the water.
Please PM me for regular FREE clippings of HM, tripartita mini, AR mini and RR hi-red
Calcuttan
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Tirtha » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:10 pm

mr_feynman wrote:
Tirtha wrote:Nice write up. I am making this sticky.

Hi Tirtha Da,

I have one lil' advice :
Can you make a forum thread which has the following attributes:

1. titbits of information as @karmakar_kgp posted -- may be named as "WOW! Do You Know!"

2. I, personally know this info for around 10 years, but many new comers in hobby may not know or they are not a good googler than many of us can do! So, I don't scold/curse them for not knowing that info. What I can suggest that may be KAC having a 'micro encyclopedia' thread raised and maintained my KACian themselves -- like crowd funded project?

3. No one can comment on the information shared - only like button kind of think. The point is, many times the original information gets lost when people started chattering and sometimes starts fighting/ trolling! =))

4. When someone adds a "WOW! Do You Know!" post, this must be reviewed by at least two experts/ moderators and is then made public.

Please let me know what you think.

Dada, sorry for being late firstly. Good idea. Thats why I made it sticky so it will not get lost in other thread. We can lock tne therad and prevent comments, but it will stop people posting any valuable addition to the information too. So Lets keep it as sticky and after every few months I can make a swipping to clean unneccesary posts.
Regards,
Tirtha

A Bad Attitude is like a Flat Tyre. You cannot go anywhere until you change it.
Tirtha
Admin
Admin

Postby mr_feynman » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:46 pm

That's a nice initiative @Tirtha da! :)
mr_feynman
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby mr_feynman » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:00 pm

Calcuttan wrote:Thanks for this information. I didn't know about it. This is particularly relevant for me because my betta has suddenly stopped eating (no other behavioural change though). Not quite suddenly perhaps. I have recently given him a better home with a thermostat and very clean water, relatively speaking, compared to his previous home. For whatever reason, ever since coming to the new set up he has hardly touched any food. In the last couple of days particularly, he has not touched anything. I am a little worried about him.

Any theory on the garlic dosage? He is right now in a 1x1x1 cube with a bog wood and some java fern which was there in his earlier tank also. He loves sleeping on the wood near the surface of the water.

Hi @Calcuttan,
Considering no change in water parameters, it may be due to temperature change! Adding a thermostat is good but we should be careful enough to raise the temp very slowly, day by day gradually. For any fish, temp shock can be a serious issue when it's a jump to several degrees altogether. The rule of thumb is,
if everything is okay, then please do not change any such parameters - the fish has already accustomed.
If you still need to fiddle, then do it very very slowly.

Leave the betta with the temp set at currently. If it is not eating do not put fishfood for 2-3 days - this will rather foul the water.
After 2-3 days, try fishfood soaked in freshly crushed garlic (just one bead should suffice) juice. You can use the backside of spoon to crush garlic.
mr_feynman
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Calcuttan » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:52 pm

Thanks a lot for your inputs. Unfortunately I cannot find the thanks tab on the computer. Have to log on to tapatalk to do that.

It is not that I changed the water temperature drastically. It is possible that he is stressed by more light coming from top in his new set up. I am planning to give him some partial cover on top. Perhaps later tonight. I got him the thermostat and a larger home because I will be leaving the city towards the end of this month and my wife may not be able to do all the tedious hardwork needed to keep the temperature right for a betta. Also his old tank needed very frequent water change, being small.

Incidentally, he ate this evening :) Just one pellet though. I clear the uneaten food soon enough.

Edited on Sunday morning (3rd Jan, 2016): As of this morning my betta ate quite readily and eagerly. Quite without garlic. :) But I am certainly going to try the garlic out just for curiosity's sake. In retrospect, I think it just took a longer time to get adjusted to a larger tank. I hope it's that simple.
Please PM me for regular FREE clippings of HM, tripartita mini, AR mini and RR hi-red
Calcuttan
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Return to General Fishkeeping