My initial experience

If you are a beginner, post your questions, concerns here.
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

My initial experience

Postby KingshukPC » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:56 am

Thought I would start a new thread about my second innings in fishkeeping.
I already gave the details about my tank and How I set it up and the planned occupants :)

its been 2 weeks now, and though it is a bit early to tell, but still will update the thread with new experiences, hoping it will help others in some way, as these are very common fishes bought and kept by LFS .

Finally I kept 6 danios, 1 male plakat betta, kept the temp to remain above 24.. I keep my filters running all the time, except during feeding.

Initially, when I bought them, they were pretty off-colour. The zebs were being kept in a massive group of 40 or more in a 1 cubic feet tank.
the betta in a small jar..

as many people tell, its the betta that chooses you and not the other way round..
I found it to be true.. after watching a few others, I was almost going to buy a halfmoon.. when eventually I picked up another.. and immediately it became superactive..I kept it down..and after a while again went back to it, same thing.. others were pretty nonchalant..

so, no wonder which one i bought.. ;p

next after getting home began the process of acclimatizing.. standard process of floating and adding small amount of aquarium water..

what I personally did though, is gave them a meth blue dip just to be sure..I will make it my personal standard safety procedure..incorporate in the acclimatizing process.

anyway, in they went and were pretty peaceful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KingshukPC
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: My initial experience

Postby KingshukPC » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:10 pm

update:

after 3 days, in which I fed them twice a day, but small amounts.. I noticed that zebs ate either flakes , or granules..

the betta eats only granules..

took care not to overfeed, only what they finished in 3 to 5 mins, with no leftovers..

still doing fine, but a little aggression from everybody, more like nervous skittishness..

also white filamentous algae had grown..

I realized I had been keeping lights on for 10 hours almost..

cut that out overnight and for next day, as light is not essential for them per se..

after that, when I turned it back on, their colours had restored and they had settled nicely..

so lesson 1: on the day of introduction / water change.. keep the lights out.. reduces stress and calms them down..and that in turn helps lessen the territorial issues.. its more like out of sight-out of mind for a while which helps them settle.

unfortunately, on the 5th day, I found one danio with a broken jaw.. overhanging.. It was sudden, in the morning.. last night they were fine. and their was no mutual aggression.. nor yesternight, nor today when I watched them over a long period.

it was probably an accident.. bumping into things, or accidental gravel biting.. or maybe even accidental fin nipping when other was moving away..

anyway, it was not a disease.. it cant be so sudden.. I still kept it separately with medications.. but after 2 days, it didnt make it.

I am posting pics, if anyone can diagnose anything different.. what looks like a white cottony thing in one pic, is due to improper lighting..

anyway, I did a water change after that and the rest of the week went fine..

after 3 days, when I still found they are peaceful, I added a platy..
initially the betta flared, but after the same routine of turning off lights, they settled fine..

now its more than 2 weeks, and everyone is fine.

everyone has their own territory per se..

I will be removing the internal power filter though, too strong a current and sitting useless..( although the space above and below it are "territories", so I am thinking of something which will resolve that problem once its removed)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KingshukPC
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

betta feed

Postby KingshukPC » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:17 pm

update:

one thing I need help on though..

for the last 6 days, my betta has given up even the granules.. refuses to touch them.

otherwise healthy..

could not find betta pellets at the moment..

i researched a bit, and they are carnivores..
their ideal food is mosquito larvae and worms.. and small live insects like daphnia etc

and although nothing has been specifically said about adult mosquitoes, I tried one, and it literally snatched it out of my fingers..

its hungry, searches for food in the bottom, but wont eat or throws back out normal food.

and I have continued on mosquitoes .. and it loves them..

I was just wondering if there was any harm in that.. till i get hold of betta food or freeze dried foods ( I am not into worms.. general theory states they can make fishes sick.. which can be true judging from the source of tubifex worms at LFS..)

anybody can recommend other live food? or where to get them? like bloodworms, or frozen food etc? ( has anybody cultured mosquito larvae or daphnia?)
KingshukPC
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Return to Beginners Corner