Neon Tetra tank set up

If you are a beginner, post your questions, concerns here.
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Neon Tetra tank set up

Postby prasenjitn » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:44 am

Hi All,

I have an odd shaped tank, (1' X 2' (height) X 1') where I'm planning for a Neon Tetra set up. It would be a non-planted tank.

Can somebody help me with necessary requirements to set it up. Here are few questions I have :

1. Can I have undergravel filter, I'm planning for stones/gravels only and not Sand or Soil
2. How many neons can I think of in this shape of fish tank
3. can I keep some other fishes as well, if yes, please suggest food also
4. Most important, what food do neons eat, any which I can get from LFS or Galiff
5. what filtration?
6. do I need a cover for the tank, I don't have any currently
7. Lighting? I have a UV tubelight, is it ok?
8. Would I need heater for Winter
prasenjitn
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: Neon Tetra tank set up

Postby bappa » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:55 am

Neon Tetra looks much batter in planted tank ..:)
Thanks
BAPPA....

Math. The only place where people buy 60 watermelons and no one wonders why....:)
bappa
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby prasenjitn » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:47 am

Thanks

I know, but planted tank needs more attention...moreover, the shape of the fish tank would not look good for planted...
prasenjitn
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby bappa » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:26 am

prasenjitn wrote:Thanks

I know, but planted tank needs more attention...moreover, the shape of the fish tank would not look good for planted...

Yes u r right now go for normal put some colourful small fish
Thanks
BAPPA....

Math. The only place where people buy 60 watermelons and no one wonders why....:)
bappa
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby arkytechie » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:57 pm

prasenjitn wrote:Hi All,

I have an odd shaped tank, (1' X 2' (height) X 1') where I'm planning for a Neon Tetra set up. It would be a non-planted tank.

Can somebody help me with necessary requirements to set it up. Here are few questions I have :

1. Can I have undergravel filter, I'm planning for stones/gravels only and not Sand or Soil
2. How many neons can I think of in this shape of fish tank
3. can I keep some other fishes as well, if yes, please suggest food also
4. Most important, what food do neons eat, any which I can get from LFS or Galiff
5. what filtration?
6. do I need a cover for the tank, I don't have any currently
7. Lighting? I have a UV tubelight, is it ok?
8. Would I need heater for Winter

Neon tetras require temperature controlled environment with plants. Keep at least a drift-wood and java moss at the center of the tank. Put some coarse soil at the bottom of the tank to give it a appearance of river bed. I think that should do the trick for you. I have a heater on which I maintain 24 degrees. I got a HOB filter and some plants and rock for neons to hide. I got micro pellets as the fish food from the local store. Currently they are doing good.
Regards,
Arky
--------------------------------------------
Simple Person & New Aquarium Enthusiast
arkytechie
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby kmandal » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:45 am

Try to go for low maintenance planted setup, with java moss, java fern, anubias, with few small driftwood branches. As for substrate, you can go for 1-2 mm gravel, since you're not interested in sand or soil. These plants doesn't require any co2, or liquid ferts. These will also give those tetras some hiding places. Buy a tank cover, since neon tetra's jump often. Also, go for a HOB filter which will give you more space inside the tank. Since summer is almost here, for the time being you don't require and heater, but after summer, buy a good heater and keep the temp within 24-26C. I feed mine with tetrabits, dried bloodworms, earthworms (cleaned and chopped) and dried tubifex.
kmandal
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby bappa » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:47 am

kmandal wrote:Try to go for low maintenance planted setup, with java moss, java fern, anubias, with few small driftwood branches. As for substrate, you can go for 1-2 mm gravel, since you're not interested in sand or soil. These plants doesn't require any co2, or liquid ferts. These will also give those tetras some hiding places. Buy a tank cover, since neon tetra's jump often. Also, go for a HOB filter which will give you more space inside the tank. Since summer is almost here, for the time being you don't require and heater, but after summer, buy a good heater and keep the temp within 24-26C. I feed mine with tetrabits, dried bloodworms, earthworms (cleaned and chopped) and dried tubifex.

yes correct
Thanks
BAPPA....

bappa
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Drarnab » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:04 am

kmandal wrote:Try to go for low maintenance planted setup, with java moss, java fern, anubias, with few small driftwood branches. As for substrate, you can go for 1-2 mm gravel, since you're not interested in sand or soil. These plants doesn't require any co2, or liquid ferts. These will also give those tetras some hiding places. Buy a tank cover, since neon tetra's jump often. Also, go for a HOB filter which will give you more space inside the tank. Since summer is almost here, for the time being you don't require and heater, but after summer, buy a good heater and keep the temp within 24-26C. I feed mine with tetrabits, dried bloodworms, earthworms (cleaned and chopped) and dried tubifex.

Will anubias & fern will grow in gravel?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Drarnab
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby Weirder_Weird » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:58 am

Bro. If you want to forego a planted tank, keep a suitably shaped driftwood in the middle, substrate like fine sand or small sized gravel. If you want to keep some plants, tie java fern to the driftwood. Also, drop some Indian Almond Leavesfrom the very beginning of the tank. weigh them down like wood. after 2 weeks, place some corydoras catfishes (minimum 4) in the tank. After another week, start releasing neons. Try to get 12 - 16, as some will most probably die off. Alos, dont release them at once, buy 4 and release them one day, wait for somedays, and then repeat as necessary. You will also need a good filter. Also, UV lighting won't do. Attach an 11 watt pl to the hood.
Weirder_Weird
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Return to Beginners Corner