will plant grow?

If you are a beginner, post your questions, concerns here.
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Re: will plant grow?

Postby souvikr » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:58 pm

SanamMarik wrote:
souvikr wrote:I have exactly the same size gravel and here is my experience (forgive the spelling mistakes). btw - I have high light and CO2

1. Hydrilla will grow (it literally doesn't need anything. Grows in empty tank also)
2. Aponogeton will grow a lot (thanks Aveek for this).
2. Telenus will survive, will have several yellow leaves (not eye pleasing) but finally will start showing few runners after 1-2 months.
3. Hygrophila Defformis will survive but will not do very well.
4. Ludwiga Repens will survive if the gravel bed is deep and is mature but will grow very slowly.
5. Lily and Lotus will grow

1) I wont b able to agree to that. it will suffer soon enough if it doesnt have anything to feed on. you dose everything so its nt just growing out of nothing ;)
2) root feeder mainly- will grow till the time the bulb provides it food. after that nutrient supplements will b reqd.
3) root feeder primarily,
3) agree
4) not sure
5) die hard -root feeders same like apono. In wild if you see the lotus grows in the most nutrient rich substrates :D

Can't believe I am challenging SanamMarik :) but unless I share what I see I won't know what I am seeing wrongly :-s
1) I have left Hydrilla floating in a deserted tank with little light and zero nutrient. After 5-6 weeks I saw yesterday that it stayed alive and growing.
2) Attached picture. Majority of these do no thave bulbs. I had to throw away few today and saw it is only roots.
3) Defformis stayed live for 5 weeks in the gravel. Now I transferred the cutting on teh soil and it is going great
4) So far so good. Will put the picture in another month if teh cuttings also make it.
5) Honestly I fully agree with you but it is going great in my tank in half gravel - half open !! /:)

btw - Rajan has made a strong point against #1 & #2 and I agree with him :(

Aq 32.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
souvikr
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Postby evenraghu » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:22 pm

Lovely plants :)
evenraghu
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby SanamMarik » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:34 pm

aare dada you dose, w/o nutrients these will nt stay alive. to keep them w/o column dosing, one will have to provide some substrate which is not entirely inert in nature.

Regarding hydrilla- I am nt saying what you saw is incorrect. But from what I know abt growth of any living thing, elements that make the organisms grow has to be present for it to grow.
the water u think is just water only, might be having the life supporting chemicals... :)

and you are most welcome to challenge me, we learn dat way. :D
Its not that I know it all. I tell from experiences and common sence and some knowledge of biology.a little shift from reality in any of the observation can form a blunder over a period of time. its my sincere request, if any finds my words doubtful, plz poke me. I am jst a mango person :D
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Postby souvikr » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:09 pm

Good spirit man !!

:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
souvikr
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby evenraghu » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:21 pm

Bro I think I am not ready yet for planting aquarium. Will ask u detail about if I buy next aquarium. As forum member said my current gravel is deadly. Can I use those small gravel I posted top, Is it safe?
evenraghu
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby SanamMarik » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:41 pm

bro, if you ask me how I started, I would say purely based on impulse and still today i start doing things based on impulse. If you have the zeal to know planted, there is nothing stopping you.

for the substrate part, go to nearby plant nursery and get some garden soil and cocopeat. if you can get perilite and vermiculite, that will be great but if you dont find it, no issues. for the capping part, gets construction sand. belive me, i did just that way. when I started out, I used tabble lamps and cfl lamps to lit my tank... :P

dont get disheartened. just jump in if u seriously want to master it.

you can follow the thread where I documented my journey when I 1st began....any issues, just ask here...dont b afraid and shy...we are always there to help you provided you put the least effort we expect to see from you... :)

here is the link-
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4039
Sanam Marik
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Postby evenraghu » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:30 am

Thanks bro. :) I will try my best.
evenraghu
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby Calcuttan » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:11 pm

In my opinion aquarium plants need the following things in this order - light, CO2, fertliser and substrate. You can get away with gravel if the others are adequate in your tank.
Please PM me for regular FREE clippings of HM, tripartita mini, AR mini and RR hi-red
Calcuttan
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby SanamMarik » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:49 pm

Calcuttan wrote:In my opinion aquarium plants need the following things in this order - light, CO2, fertliser and substrate. You can get away with gravel if the others are adequate in your tank.

v true, but for a beginner, to understand dosing well, it takes quite some time.
Sanam Marik
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Previous

Return to Beginners Corner