another silly question about substrate !!

If you are a beginner, post your questions, concerns here.
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

another silly question about substrate !!

Postby rahuljain832 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:37 am

hello everyone , i am new to this hobby, for last 1 -2 month i was doing lots of studies on planted tank. one thing i am still confused is about substrate. this is going to be my 2nd tank (1st one was gold fish tank :p ) so this tank will be only for experimental cause and for getting some experience with plants , and also to gain experience before i put my money on expensive stuff and delicate shrimps.

so all the gurus please tell me , can i try with inert substrate like small stones, or sand ?? or do i really need soil ? also tell me know some beginner plants easily available in india .

i live in delhi , here i am going to face many problems , like in delhi there is no galiff street :(( , expensive aquarium shop with zero plants and plant knowledge :-( , extreme weather (water temp goes 35 degree Celsius in summer and 8 degree Celsius in winter ) for winter i can manage but for summer its really bad :-(

any useful comment will be really helpful.

thanks in advance :-)
rahuljain832
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: another silly question about substrate !!

Postby SanamMarik » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:03 am

Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Postby rahuljain832 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:29 pm

great ! and thanks once again :-)
rahuljain832
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby debrajsahu » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:33 pm

In delhi the air has less moisture content. So fans will work great to keep the temp lower in summer.
debrajsahu
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Calcuttan » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:50 pm

You can certainly grow plants with inert substrates. But then you have to know how to fertilise precisely. In terestrial plants, most of the bosses grow their roses and dahlias and chrysanthemums etc in completely inert medium. The inertnet is full of tutorials on how to grow aquatic plants with garden soil. Investing in a good substrate gives you a headstart.

If there is no good aquatic plant shop in Delhi, get your plants online. Sreepadma is a good source, I think. The owner is an active member here. Even tissue cultured plants are available online. But they cost a bomb. Another problem with TC plants in India, they don't have any published list of plants available.

The Sreepadma website is a good guide for understanding which plants are easy and which are difficult. Tropica also classifies all its plants as easy, medium or difficult. You can check that out too.
Please PM me for regular FREE clippings of HM, tripartita mini, AR mini and RR hi-red
Calcuttan
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Return to Beginners Corner