My mini aquatic world in a room

If you are a beginner, post your questions, concerns here.
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Re: My mini aquatic world in a room

Postby Sumit K Sen » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:20 pm

parthapratim22 wrote:Thats cute little tank

Thanks :) Glad you liked it.
User avatar
Sumit K Sen
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC
 
Posts: 766
Images: 3
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:45 am
Location: Jodhpur Park, Kolkata
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 41 times

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: My mini aquatic world in a room

Postby SanamMarik » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:26 pm

i will talk abt hc only and it looks damn awesome...i wish i have had some skills with woods...would definitely giv it a try some day.

A point- previously I was aware that plants with poor roots dont rely much on the substrate and you proved it again(the opposite is not completely true in my experience though ;) )...love it....jst want to see the wood is covered completely with some patches of wood left here and there....would look v natural in my young eyes... :D

Actually you know there are many myths in this hobby and you jst proved one.... \m/
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
User avatar
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic
 
Posts: 2446
Images: 0
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:03 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 92 times

Re: My mini aquatic world in a room

Postby Sumit K Sen » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:35 pm

SanamMarik wrote:i will talk abt hc only and it looks damn awesome...i wish i have had some skills with woods...would definitely giv it a try some day.

A point- previously I was aware that plants with poor roots dont rely much on the substrate and you proved it again(the opposite is not completely true in my experience though ;) )...love it....jst want to see the wood is covered completely with some patches of wood left here and there....would look v natural in my young eyes... :D

Actually you know there are many myths in this hobby and you jst proved one.... \m/

Thanks very much Sanam. Without your guidance I would not have even tried this :) But I think HC can be grown on wood and rocks. The entire bunch is actually sitting on a cushion of roots (you can see the roots from the side). The roots grip the surface very well. This bunch is in the path of the spray bar flow. It manages to handle the current very well.
Those of you who are using pressurized CO2 will achieve awesome results, I am sure, if you plan to do it. Looking forward to some pro work with this plant from you and others :)
The planting plan was what you suggest, but I am finding that it needs optimum conditions - and that is not available across the branch in this set up :)
User avatar
Sumit K Sen
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC
 
Posts: 766
Images: 3
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:45 am
Location: Jodhpur Park, Kolkata
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 41 times

Re: My mini aquatic world in a room

Postby SanamMarik » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:44 pm

i cant recall what i suggested but if that helped, then i am glad to know that. suddenly we are having a hc hype and hence just to grow some stocks and to experiment lights, i planted some emmersed hc again...lets c how do they respond to pressurized this time... :D
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
User avatar
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic
 
Posts: 2446
Images: 0
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:03 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 92 times

Re: My mini aquatic world in a room

Postby rahul » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:51 pm

yes in recent years many have grown clumps of HC on woods.its a good water column feeder.
And the reason they are doing it well this time of the year is due to the mild weather.But our summers are too hot to tolerate it.

The reason why in kolkata people stress about CO2 is due to fact at high temperatures dissolved CO2 is way less.And plant metabolism tends to increase along with high algal metabolism.When the dissolved Co2 is less the plant health deteriorates and algae takes over killing the tank.
but most plants we use in the hobby are not indigenous to high temperature regions.Although there are several species(both native and exotic) which can do great ,people here are more directed to something like carpets ,bushes ,etc.
You must be familiar with the genus echinodorus.Its one of the favourites and biggest selling amongnst all aquatic plants worldwide.but in kolkata people just hate it.Everybody wants to be Amano over here. =)) (please dont include those who goes to galiff for buying amazonicus at 25 per bunch and end up planting in marble chips only to see it rot away).I feel a plant like echinodorus creates an eye catching focus by itself. I have seen people with single echinodorus with some 100 plus leaves in one tank .
I also remembered the days when my late grandpa didn't allow me to go near the only tank we had.It was somewhere in 2003-04 when he did a setup which might sound some unethical and harsh to modern day hobby.All he did was illuminate the tank with 4 incandescent lamps(in 2.5 feeter) and planted 3 swords.No proper filtration(just an airstone and that 'duburi'),just sand as substrate,no dosing (as far i remember there was nothing to educate us regrading that =)) ) but saw amazing development of echinodorus (i used to call it only 'amazon' at that time) ,no water changes either for 3 months other than topping off.We didn't had digital camera to record that .but it was not unique as that idea was propagated by hatibagan sellers one of whom itself had a splendid tank like that displayed in his shop.Wonder if that dadu is still alive...
i wonder why dont we try plants like that in a good modern setup.
And lets come to the topic .Many plants commonly grown in modern day setups can be easily done without CO2(with subnormal growth but still commendable) but one needs to have good climate.Remember you will find that many low techs abroad with lush development.but in here its not so popular.
Some fishrooms of legends who are professional breeders do contain exotic plants in their breeding tanks with zero maintenance. and yet they grow well

so if you can somehow keep your rooms cool ,for eg 25 degrees and with some decent water quality, trust me you can do most of the species without expensive equipments and hardworking DIYs(not inclusing those who wants to attain something optimum.perfection or even world class)
User avatar
rahul
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3872
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 9:03 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 86 times

Re: My mini aquatic world in a room

Postby Dipankar » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:54 pm

Lovely tank I m speechless its really the tank sometime come in my dream
User avatar
Dipankar
Die Hard KAC Fan
Die Hard KAC Fan
 
Posts: 1534
Images: 11
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:17 pm
Location: Nawa City Rajasthan
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: My mini aquatic world in a room

Postby Sumit K Sen » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:12 am

Dipankar wrote:Lovely tank I m speechless its really the tank sometime come in my dream

Thanks Dipankar :)
User avatar
Sumit K Sen
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC
 
Posts: 766
Images: 3
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:45 am
Location: Jodhpur Park, Kolkata
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 41 times

Re: My mini aquatic world in a room

Postby Sumit K Sen » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:27 am

rahul wrote:yes in recent years many have grown clumps of HC on woods.its a good water column feeder.
And the reason they are doing it well this time of the year is due to the mild weather.But our summers are too hot to tolerate it.

The reason why in kolkata people stress about CO2 is due to fact at high temperatures dissolved CO2 is way less.And plant metabolism tends to increase along with high algal metabolism.When the dissolved Co2 is less the plant health deteriorates and algae takes over killing the tank.
but most plants we use in the hobby are not indigenous to high temperature regions.Although there are several species(both native and exotic) which can do great ,people here are more directed to something like carpets ,bushes ,etc.
You must be familiar with the genus echinodorus.Its one of the favourites and biggest selling amongnst all aquatic plants worldwide.but in kolkata people just hate it.Everybody wants to be Amano over here. =)) (please dont include those who goes to galiff for buying amazonicus at 25 per bunch and end up planting in marble chips only to see it rot away).I feel a plant like echinodorus creates an eye catching focus by itself. I have seen people with single echinodorus with some 100 plus leaves in one tank .
I also remembered the days when my late grandpa didn't allow me to go near the only tank we had.It was somewhere in 2003-04 when he did a setup which might sound some unethical and harsh to modern day hobby.All he did was illuminate the tank with 4 incandescent lamps(in 2.5 feeter) and planted 3 swords.No proper filtration(just an airstone and that 'duburi'),just sand as substrate,no dosing (as far i remember there was nothing to educate us regrading that =)) ) but saw amazing development of echinodorus (i used to call it only 'amazon' at that time) ,no water changes either for 3 months other than topping off.We didn't had digital camera to record that .but it was not unique as that idea was propagated by hatibagan sellers one of whom itself had a splendid tank like that displayed in his shop.Wonder if that dadu is still alive...
i wonder why dont we try plants like that in a good modern setup.
And lets come to the topic .Many plants commonly grown in modern day setups can be easily done without CO2(with subnormal growth but still commendable) but one needs to have good climate.Remember you will find that many low techs abroad with lush development.but in here its not so popular.
Some fishrooms of legends who are professional breeders do contain exotic plants in their breeding tanks with zero maintenance. and yet they grow well

so if you can somehow keep your rooms cool ,for eg 25 degrees and with some decent water quality, trust me you can do most of the species without expensive equipments and hardworking DIYs(not inclusing those who wants to attain something optimum.perfection or even world class)


I think it is good idea to have two planting strategies for a tank without much external support. A summer look and a winter show. Much like terrestrial gardens. :)
I used to have a centerpiece Amazon Sword with over 70 -80 leaves that covered the middle of a 2.5feet tank. No water change for 4 months and light from incandescent bulbs. Lived for a few years till I gave it away when I shut down the tank. Even now I have Gallif Amazon in my betta tank which has no electric lights. It is planted in a pot of Amazonia though, not on gravel/sand mix that the old one was planted in. Hopefully it will grow from 10 leaves to 50 some day :)
Look, almost everyone posting here, from lay beginners to experts, are using pressurized CO2. There are a few exceptions, and I am happy to join that small group. I believe that our experiences will also have value for those who need answers to questions. And I do take some inspiration from high temp. low tech tanks run in Singapore and other SE Asian countries. Many do not have chillers and report water temps around 29/30C. Those guys are brilliant, or maybe it the quality of stuff that they use. But I think it is just super diligence and industry at a level we cannot match. My opinion of course.
Last edited by Sumit K Sen on Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Sumit K Sen
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC
 
Posts: 766
Images: 3
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:45 am
Location: Jodhpur Park, Kolkata
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 41 times

Re: My mini aquatic world in a room

Postby Calcuttan » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:31 am

All those who grew plants in the 80s and 90s played with Amazon, 'oxygen', val and cabomba. CO2 was something we breathed out. Light was Bengal Lamp or Philips
Please PM me for regular FREE clippings of HM, tripartita mini, AR mini and RR hi-red
User avatar
Calcuttan
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC
 
Posts: 198
Images: 1
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:52 pm
Location: Calcutta
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Previous

Return to Beginners Corner

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest