new hobbyist

If you are a beginner, post your questions, concerns here.
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

new hobbyist

Postby jiko » Sun May 24, 2015 11:46 am

hi everybody, i am new in this fish keeping hobby. i will get my 1st tank(30"x18"x18" , 40 gl with black cover and will go for a black background also) very soon. I will keep my tank barebottom as i heard it's easy to maintain. I like to have some active, colourful freshwater schooling fish and some centre piece fish. Which fish can I keep? is it possible to keep angelfish in my tank? also want to know about black water. Is it difficult than clear water? and what fish i can keep in black water tank.

thanks in advance... :)
jiko
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: new hobbyist

Postby suvrajit » Mon May 25, 2015 7:32 am

@jiko, welcome to the aquatic world,

Your tank can house angelfish, but maximum 4-6, considering their adult sizes,
black water is normal water only but with added tannins, It can de made by taking normal or RO water and mixed with azoo/tetra black water additives, or by boiling Indian Alomond leaves and by passing the resulting dark brown liquid through a strainer and cooing the liquid, and adding it to aquarium water to get light brown water,
remember to keep the liquid in refrigerator,
for black water tank, use normal construction sand(after thorough washing)as substrate, keep some branchy drift woods, and add a warm white CFL 18 W, Keep scalare angels and cardinal tetras , the aquarium will be a black water type one with serene looks,
This is my choice off course, you can try something else also according your tastes and prferences
Suvrajit
Fishaholic
suvrajit
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Dipankar » Mon May 25, 2015 11:43 am

What Suvrajit said is fine But I will prefer Hitachi Pink tube 20 Watt than CFL It will make blackwater tank more attractive
Your best teacher is your last mistake
APJ.Abdul Kalam
Dipankar
Dedicated KAC Member
Dedicated KAC Member

Postby SanamMarik » Mon May 25, 2015 1:52 pm

jiko wrote:... and some centre piece fish...

Couldnt understand the meaning of this.... :-\
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Postby subhadeepdas » Mon May 25, 2015 5:46 pm

SanamMarik wrote:
jiko wrote:... and some centre piece fish...

Couldnt understand the meaning of this.... :-\

Sanam, may be he tried to say point of main attraction i.e. hero of the tank. :D
Subhadeep
subhadeepdas
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby jiko » Mon May 25, 2015 8:14 pm

hello suvrajit da, i got my tank today with a sponge filter ( made by some venusaqua, model no. jx-355) and a air pump with dual outlet (made by sobo, i think the model no. :SB 648A). Both are very cheap (both below 150). So i am concerned about the quality. need some suggestions.. The shop keeper said me to fill the tank and leave the air pump and filter on for 2-3 days then buy fish from him. should i use water from filtered hand pump? or 'ro treated water' from local shop? or go for filtered municipality water??

subhadeep da is right about 'hero of the tank", actuallly want to mean that... @sanam
jiko
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby avik » Tue May 26, 2015 12:49 am

U got a good lfs there bro. Generally they try to sell fishes on the first chance. Yaah, keep the filter running for more than a Week..let bacteria grows in the sponge. You can use a sponge filter with the airpump..guuessed u meant u r having an ipf and airpump. First decide on the fishes..in most of the cases tap water is fine..no need to filter.

BW is not needed for normal fishes..unless u want to win some biotope contest.
avik
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby subhadeepdas » Tue May 26, 2015 5:24 am

Bro, I would like to suggest few things as you are a fresher. First, decide livestock but don't overstock. Add your livestock gradually, not at a time. For the growth of BB, you just add some fish food to your tank. It will degrade and BB will grow on it. As a starter, try to be simple as possible. Moreover, you have to decide your substrate accordingly depending on your livestock. Depending on your tank dimension, any 2-3 types of tetras will do good.
Subhadeep
subhadeepdas
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby jiko » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:32 am

hi everybody, today i'll buy some fish for my aquarium. my shop keeper suggest me to buy some rosy barb 1st then other fishes after several days. Confused about rosy barb. I saw that rosy barb can be 5" large and they should be keep in a group of more than 6 of them. Also I want to keep some fancy fish and barb has a fin nipping habit. Is it possible to keep fancy fishes like angels, parrot etc. with rosy barb? my tank size is 30x18x18 in inch.
jiko
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby subhadeepdas » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:47 am

I don't think parrot, angel, rosy barbs are compatible, bro.
Subhadeep
subhadeepdas
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Next

Return to Beginners Corner