Fish Compatibility

If you are a beginner, post your questions, concerns here.
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Re: Fish Compatibility

Postby arnab » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:34 pm

Really handy! Still.. Nothing can beat experience
arnab

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Postby amukherjee » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:46 am

You have said the word Arnab , in fish keeping like in any other pastime there is nothing like hands on experience. These sites are indicative and can provide good general advice,
However at times the advice provided by them are both untenable and impracticable.

For example , I checked on Oscar compatibility on
http://www.tropicalfishandaquariums.com ... /index.php

The advice they offered was as follows : “The Oscar Cichlid should be kept in groups of 6 or more and is compatible with the Bala Shark, Clown Loach, Croaking Gourami, Firemouth Cichlid, Jack Dempsey, Pleco (Common), Silver Dollar, Sunshine Pleco L014, Texas Cichlid, Tinfoil Barb”

My question is how many Oscar keepers keep 6 or more full grown Oscars in a single tank and if so it must be a 5-ft tank at least and the implication of the advice is that you cannot keep Oscars unless you have a 5-ft tank.

Rgds

A Mukherjee
amukherjee
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby ritesh_acharya007 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:15 am

great post man :)
ritesh_acharya007
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby idonteatfish » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:01 pm

Wanted to add this:
Those compatibility chart links and a compatibility image posted before in this thread are done bearing in mind that those fishes first be given their natural behavior factor(ie shoaling / schooling / anything else even necessary parameters for its natural well being )

I want to explain what i said with an example: If you keep 1 red belly piranha with a couple of fishes like a full grown arowana and full grown oscars, it wont do a thing. But if u somehow manage to get a school of piranhas your arowana will be history and so will your oscar and who knows even you if u are so much curious when u wake up one morning , find your aro and oscs missing and jump inside the tank to find them -.-'...

my best advise on fish compatibility is to ask fellow experienced hobbyists and STAY AWAY FROM LFS ADVICES .... they are worse than piranhas trust me -.- .

And as to serpae tetra compatibility :
Serpae tetras are best compatible with semi-agressive small sized community fishes(ex tiger barbs, widow tetra, bloodfin, etc etc) fin nippin is a habit of serpae's it will come into play if even they are fully fed and has nothing better to do ... if serpae is your primary attraction ... do not add slow moving fishes else their fins are gonna get nipped...but as said nature of a species depends on various factors....so anyone asking for compatibility please mention factors as to:
1)tank size
2)tank setup (planted / hardscaped / aquascaped low tech/high tech etc)
3)what present tankmates you have if any
4) your primary or centerpiece fish in mind (since this is the most important point and should be considered earlier if possible)....atleast i do so
5) feeding durations and fish food used(you cannot keep goldfishes and cories even if they are compatible, on floating pellets cuz goldfishes are voracious feeders and cories will eventually die cuz of food shortage giving rise to their various ailments)

hope i could add something of value...
OVERSTOCKED
35 Gallon Low Tech Journal http://kolkata-aquarium.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5128
idonteatfish
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Arthas » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:30 pm

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and wasn't sure about posting a new thread...so, thought of posting here....I've started a Cichlid(basically an Oscar) Tank recently and got myself a TIger Albino Oscar(1.5") and a Salvini(2.5-3").....How compatible will they be and what other compatible Cichlid species could be added here? Can i add A Jack Dempsey in here? Also, in terms of water conditioners, which would be a better choice? Seachem or API? I could upgrade the tank within 1-2 yrs. Any Suggestions on better food or environment would be appreciated.

1. Tank Size: 29 US Gallons(2.5*1.2*1.8).
2. No Plants Real or Plastic(read about Oscar's tendency to uproot them), i've got a Driftwood (small Bokut). Do i need to add any plants?
3. Primary fish would be the Oscar.
4. Foods used is Optimum Cichlid Pellet.

Arkadyuti.
Arthas

Postby satyajit82 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:01 pm

Arthas wrote:Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and wasn't sure about posting a new thread...so, thought of posting here....I've started a Cichlid(basically an Oscar) Tank recently and got myself a TIger Albino Oscar(1.5") and a Salvini(2.5-3").....How compatible will they be and what other compatible Cichlid species could be added here? Can i add A Jack Dempsey in here? Also, in terms of water conditioners, which would be a better choice? Seachem or API? I could upgrade the tank within 1-2 yrs. Any Suggestions on better food or environment would be appreciated.

2. No Plants Real or Plastic(read about Oscar's tendency to uproot them), i've got a Driftwood (small Bokut). Do i need to add any plants?

Arkadyuti.

2.5 ft is too small for a single oscar...but keeping the small size in mind you can keep it in your tank but not for long, in 4-5 months you have to upgrade your tank size. And for food use Hikari Bio Gold, or Hikari Cichlid Gold thats the best food for any cichlid...I am sure experts can give you better and more info...
satyajit82
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby angshuman » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:10 am

Arthas wrote:Hi guys,

Arkadyuti.

Hey, that Salvini is way too big for the Oscar. They are 100 times more aggressive than Oscars. So the size should be opposite, that is the oscar should be larger than the salvini. yes you can add one JD. Also, you'll be needing to upgrade the tank within 6-8 months because all CA/SA cichlids have a superb fast growth.

You can add plants provided they are anchored well both live or plastic. No problem.

I understand Hikari is too expensive for some people. but CP cichlid alone won't do. atleast mix tetrabits with the CP and feed them.

Good luck. :)
Regards,
Angshuman Majumder
angshuman
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Arthas » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:25 am

satyajit82 wrote:
2.5 ft is too small for a single oscar...but keeping the small size in mind you can keep it in your tank but not for long,

in 4-5 months you have to upgrade your tank size. And for food use Hikari Bio Gold, or Hikari Cichlid Gold thats the best food for any

cichlid...I am sure experts can give you better and more info...

Thanks for the reply...i'm thinking of upgrading but will probably take some time due to lack of space.... :ymsigh:

angshuman wrote:
Hey, that Salvini is way too big for the Oscar. They are 100 times more aggressive than Oscars. So the size should be opposite, that is the oscar should be larger than the salvini. yes you can add one JD. Also, you'll be needing to upgrade the tank within 6-8 months because all CA/SA cichlids have a superb fast growth.

You can add plants provided they are anchored well both live or plastic. No problem.

I understand Hikari is too expensive for some people. but CP cichlid alone won't do. atleast mix tetrabits with the CP and feed them.

Good luck. :)

I've heard Oscars grow more quickly than other cichlids....so, i thought of getting a slightly bigger Salvini to balance out the growth difference....but the

Salvini has been hiding in the pot for a few days...it hardly comes out....should i have bought a pair?? The Oscar seems fine though....Took your advice

and got Tetrabits for it....also, can i add the JD in this tank itself or wait till the upgradation??
Arthas

Postby angshuman » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:17 am

hey bro,

yes, what you have heard is absolutely right. Oscars grow faster than most medium sized new world cichlids. Salvinis won't grow beyond 5.5-6 inches but what they lack in size they make it up by aggression. A pair of grown up Salvinis can and will shred your O in pieces unless you have a really really mean badass oscar(which is not very common for oscars). So, good that you didn't get a pair.

That poor Sal seems a wee bit stressed which is why it's not coming out right now. maybe a picture of your tank will help us tell you (please open a new thread in the cichlid forum if you are doing that). but wait till it reaches 4 inches size. At that age they start becoming territorial and aggressive towards it's tankmates (then again unless you have a very very shy salvini which is not very common either :P )

I'd strongly suggest you to wait for the JD till you can upgrade. :) since JD's are territorial and powerful and there's a reason they are named after Jack Dempsey.

Cheers!
Regards,
Angshuman Majumder
angshuman
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Demiurgic » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:56 am

having problem keeping German Blue Ram (local, not the imported one) with Pearl Gourami.

Gourami feeds so first that the RAM(a bit younger , 1 inch) does not want to reach food . I tried both liveworm and Cichlid pellet .
RAMs are dull and colorless most of the time , and looks they are not happy.

No live plant in the tank.Should I give some. ?
Demiurgic
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners Corner