150 Gallon of complexities!

Diary of the Salty life

Re: 150 Gallon of complexities!

Postby thatssam2001 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:21 am

mithun wrote:you dont say! 3 hours of rigourous sanding surfaces for a perfect weld.. 8/26 pieces done.. the grinding continues night after night ;) ImageImage

Sent from my MI 4W using Tapatalk

Hey bro keep it up. What are you going to use to weld acrylic?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
thatssam2001
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Postby mithun » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:03 am

Weld-On 4... still in transit from Amazon US..

Mithun
M:8583865385
Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:If you want something done in a better way, do it yourself.

My 220Gal reef journal | My 150Gal reef journal
mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby thatssam2001 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:05 am

mithun wrote:Weld-On 4... still in transit from Amazon US..

Oh. Just wanted to check that its available in india or not. So now i know its not. :cry:

thatssam2001
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby mithun » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:10 am

i have a DIY formula for acrylic solvent that i used for smaller builds of this n that.. just coz this one is big and will require extra strength i am opting for something industrial grade aka weld-on.. though i have no way to test and compare my formula with weldon, i think the DIY version is good as well for usual builds..

Mithun
Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:If you want something done in a better way, do it yourself.

mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby thatssam2001 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:11 am

mithun wrote:i have a DIY formula for acrylic solvent that i used for smaller builds of this n that.. just coz this one is big and will require extra strength i am opting for something industrial grade aka weld-on.. though i have no way to test and compare my formula with weldon, i think the DIY version is good as well for usual builds..

Could you plz share diy solution with me. I would like to make 1ft cube tank using acrylic

thatssam2001
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby mithun » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:52 am

mix 200ml of 99.x% pure acetone and mix it with clear acrylic scraps... the acrylic will dissolve (making small acrylic pieces/scraps will help it dissolve faster).. as it dissolves it will make the mixture more viscous... so depending on what kind of mix viscosity u need (weld-on 4 or 40) add corresponding amount of acrylic scraps slowly and keep shaking in a sealed airtight bottle until previous batch of acrylic is completely dissolved. more acrylic for mixture to fill gaps, less acrylic for mixture to weld. usually that process takes 4-6 hours... keep the mixture sitting at least 24 hours so achieve uniform viscosity. After that its ready to be used as acrylic cement through needle applicator...

Safety tips: Acetone is extremely flammable. also its vapour is toxic. so use in a well ventilated area away from fire. Also acetone will dissolve most plastic so mix it in a glass bottle with tightly sealed cap. The needle applicator should not be used to store the mixture.. its for short time dispensing purposes. Else it will dissolve in acetone over time. Once used transfer any remaining mixture from applicator bottle to storing glass bottle and clean the applicator thoroughly in running water.
Mithun

mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby thatssam2001 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:55 am

mithun wrote:mix 200ml of 99.x% pure acetone and mix it with clear acrylic scraps... the acrylic will dissolve (making small acrylic pieces/scraps will help it dissolve faster).. as it dissolves it will make the mixture more viscous... so depending on what kind of mix viscosity u need (weld-on 4 or 40) add corresponding amount of acrylic scraps slowly and keep shaking in a sealed airtight bottle until previous batch of acrylic is completely dissolved. more acrylic for mixture to fill gaps, less acrylic for mixture to weld. usually that process takes 4-6 hours... keep the mixture sitting at least 24 hours so achieve uniform viscosity. After that its ready to be used as acrylic cement through needle applicator...

Safety tips: Acetone is extremely flammable. also its vapour is toxic. so use in a well ventilated area away from fire. Also acetone will dissolve most plastic so mix it in a glass bottle with tightly sealed cap. The needle applicator should not be used to store the mixture.. its for short time dispensing purposes. Else it will dissolve in acetone over time. Once used transfer any remaining mixture from applicator bottle to storing glass bottle and clean the applicator thoroughly in running water.

Great one. Thanks for sharing. Will definitely try to make a acrylic tank.

It will be fine for 1ft cube tank right?

What is the biggest size of tank you have made from this solution bro.
thatssam2001
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby mithun » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:45 am

I havent made a fishtank from that yet.. but this formula have been used by many people to make tanks.. The biggest item I have made with it was an ATS 24"x12"x 8".. no leaks or dislocation anywhere yet!
Mithun

mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby thatssam2001 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:47 am

mithun wrote:I havent made a fishtank from that yet.. but this formula have been used by many people to make tanks.. The biggest item I have made with it was an ATS 24"x12"x 8".. no leaks or dislocation anywhere yet!

Cool. So i can set a benchmark of 24x12x8. :mrgreen:

thatssam2001
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby mithun » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:57 am

there wont be any threat in 1 ft cube for sure!
Mithun

mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Marine Journals