Dedicated to WOULD-BE Hobbyists.

Diary of the Salty life

Re: Dedicated to WOULD-BE Hobbyists.

Postby Aayaan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:42 pm

06th November, 2017.
Update-

Hello.
Nothing exciting about this setup. The simplicity involved with this aquarium is enough to prove that anyone can indulge in marine-aquarium keeping. The indispensable parts that are essentially the backbone to this setup are filtration with Macro-algae, lighting that would support good photosynthesis, water movement for dilution and oxygenation, stocking appropriately and stable water temperature. But, one should have one's tank drilled and plumbed to a sump. The sump should be more than half the tank's carpet area so as to provide enough space for Macro-Algae growth. This "drill & plumb" is for future proofing the system as we all tend to tred the same path towards "coral-love".

For information may I mention that the fishes are not quite crazy about the new food from Newlife Spectrum as stated earlier. Therefore, the Royal Dottyback is taking forever to regain it's original intense magenta colouration.
Should begin to think about Pods now, maybe.
Aayaan
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Postby Aayaan » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:52 am

Greetings. ~o)

Its been a while with the Newlife Spectrum granular fish food now. It has been noticed that none of the fishes seem to find any affinity towards this specific type of grey-green coloured food. May be it is not really tasty for them but, it could also be due to its two millimeter granule size since the fishes (Ocellaris Clown, Devil Damsel & Royal Dottyback) are small that translates into smaller mouths. In comparison, the fishes literally jump at the one millimeter sized granules of the Ocean Nutrition brand of food which is also red in colour. The Royal Dottyback, for instance, snatches as many red granules as may fit into its mouth whereas the grey-green bigger granules fail to lure it in any way other than extreme hunger probably. As far as the Dottyback's faded colour is concerned, there is no noticable improvement. I have now decided to mix the foods while feeding only hoping to find the Dottyback regaining its beautiful magenta-pink colour. Let's see. :|
Aayaan
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Aayaan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:22 am

Hello to all :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aayaan
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Sunny » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:45 pm

any updates brother ?
If people take anything from my music, it should be motivation to know that anything is possible as long as you keep working at it and don't back down.
<Eminem>

The best way to guarantee a loss is to quit.
<Morgan Freeman>
Sunny
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Aayaan » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:21 pm

Sorry bro. What has happened is my salinity had dipped very low. The algae turned colourless. It let out stuffs turning the water cloudy. It then started to melt away. I had to get it out to avoid water fowling. Now the tank is bare. I have noticed an encouragement in the few patches of coralline which are trying to spread.
Now, what I have decided is to allow the phosphate bank in the rocks to deplete by harvesting the micro algae twice a month. No synthetic phosphate removers being employed. That's it right now.
I've got one Octopus Classic 110 INT skimmer @ 9000/- and am waiting to get a 22kg bucket Aquaforest sea salt. I have planned on getting a purpletip green bubble tip anemone. But, my preparation is going to need some huge patience before the materialisation.
Till then, let's wait. Cheers.
Sunny wrote:any updates brother ?

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Aayaan on Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aayaan
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Sunny » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:44 pm

glad to hear you comeback, keep us posted
If people take anything from my music, it should be motivation to know that anything is possible as long as you keep working at it and don't back down.
<Eminem>

The best way to guarantee a loss is to quit.
<Morgan Freeman>
Sunny
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Aayaan » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:57 pm

Sure
Sunny wrote:glad to hear you comeback, keep us posted

Aayaan
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Aayaan » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:15 am

Yesterday I had a small amount of fisheggs bought from the market. Brought it home and had it boiled for our consumption but today I suddenly began thinking about how well the fishes prefer the eggs of other fishes. I then decided to try and feed my Ocellaris clown & Electric-blue damsel a tiny bit of those eggs. And guess what, they were hopping around and gobbling up every tiny egg that I threw at them. I loved what I saw. They were getting something directly from nature after a really long time. Poor fishes. And I am happy to have found them being greedy for good. Surely I've kept some of it tucked away in the refrigerator for them to find some treat twice or thrice in the weeks to come.

Aayaan
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Aayaan » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:38 am

And previously, ... I said something about the salinity of my tank having gone down to the lowest point on my swing-arm hydrometer. It lead me to order a bucket of salt and address the problem through daily addition of spoons full of salt to raise it back up. After a week's effort, it went up from being somewhere around 1.010(I don't remember) to 1.0165. And, I don't know why but I decided to cross-check the swing arm's reliability that showed that everything was fine and there wasn't anything to worry about by it resting at 1.010 while in fresh-water. On a closer observation I realised that the arm was being stopped at that point physically and not by means of density. I decided to go and tilt the hydrometer body untill its arm floated in fresh-water and rested at the 1.010 mark and swayed about that point freely ensuring lack of any further physical hindrance. The angle of tilt (of the hydrometer body against a perpendicular line) was to be noted (marked on the hydrometer as a line) here as reference for correct measurement with salt water inside. And, guess what? The arm went on to point at 1.022 or 30 ppt(salinity) to be precise. So, the extent of the fault was a whopping 0.0055. This has coaxed me into withdrawing myself from reopening the salt bucket any further, for the time being.
I might want to add more salt intending to raise the alkalinity, calcium, etc levels. After the salt addition intense magenta coloured spots have been found to be appearing as compared to the paler version of coraline on the rocks.
Aayaan
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Previous

Return to Marine Journals