Dedicated to would-be hobbiests.

Diary of the Salty life

Re: Dedicated to would-be hobbiests.

Postby SanamMarik » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:18 pm

love the tank specially bcoz of its dimension looks awesome bro \m/
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Postby Aayaan » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:26 pm

SanamMarik wrote:love the tank specially bcoz of its dimension looks awesome bro \m/

Well, thanks, but to me it looks nothing short of a refugium :p
Now, as far as the tank is concerned, I want to employ nothing, but natural methods with the least expense possible with a fish only tanks. Yes, there are the so called reef rocks but, I would not want to call them live rocks though a few of those when bought, had some patches of coralline on them.
Anyway, I would keep atleast a low profile tank rather than nothing at all :D
Aayaan
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby Aayaan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:26 am

29 Sept.,2017.
Update:

Alright. There is nothing new about my aquarium to show. Its just a few more pics to show-off my c. peltata macro algae from different perspectives.

tmp-cam--2121809545.jpg

tmp-cam--2080055050.jpg

tmp-cam--414998282.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aayaan
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby Aayaan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:37 am

tmp-cam-1678569679.jpg

tmp-cam--965209017.jpg

tmp-cam--1593887622.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Aayaan on Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aayaan
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby Aayaan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:41 am

tmp-cam--1860375799.jpg

tmp-cam--250385949.jpg

So, you might say whats so great about it all. Its mere algae, which goes on to say that the tank water isn't clean at all. Well, to that I would add that the more macro-algae takeover occurs, the more the nutrient uptake. Thus, what I ami left with is a tank full of cleaner water and decent water parameters. And, to have it done the natural way starting from scratch calls for loads & loads of patience. Once I have spent a couple of years growing a garden of various macro algae, I end up learning a lot and graduating from a novice to an aquarist who is fit enoughand ready to embark upon higher levels of the marine/reef hobby. (*)
Aayaan
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby Aayaan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:11 am

Ok, here is another thing which is regarding colour fading on fishes. The royal dottyback fish is widely acknowledged as a fish that looses it purple /magenta colouring in the confinements of our hobby. So, what do we do?
First, as we know, loss of any naturally occuring feature on a living element is a result of nutritional deficiency that leads to what we popularly know as disease that could be reversible. And so, I contacted New Life Spectrum over the Facebook window regarding colour loss on marine fish. Their representive confirmed that the company provides guarantee on noticable colour gain on fishes after a month of feeding. Therefore, I decided to give it a try. I went and got one from amazon. Let us see what happens.
tmp-cam-789241249.jpg
Aayaan
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby Aayaan » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:56 am

6th Oct. 2017.
Update-

Hey all... That new food I got (i.e. New Life Spectrum, refer to the picture above) with the wish of bring back some colour on my Royal Dotty Back fish, lets share my experience with it so far. :-B
First, the granule size is a bit bigger than what could fit comfortably in my fish's mouth, especially the one & half inch clown. But, they are able to feed of it when the granules are pre-soaked in (tank) water for about a few seconds until they turn a little soft to touch.
Second, the olive green colouration of the granules make it a bit difficult for the fishes to spot those (instantly) when lying on the sand floor. Else, no problem for the fishes to spot the soaked granules while those are gradually drowning in down the water column.
Third, do not know anything regarding the taste. (I have no intention either, to challenge the warning against human consumption [-( .) Except for the Devil Damsel, the other two fishes are not showing much of an interest. And honestly, the colour of the granules itself reminds me of bitter-gourd pills :p .
Anyway, I will have to allow some more time for some change to be prominently noticeable.
Till then, happy times !! :ymparty:
Aayaan
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby Aayaan » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:49 am

09 October, 2017.
Update.

Hey everyone, whats up!
Here is a fresh update. Yesterday was utilised to increase the rocky real-estate in my tank. If you look backwards you will find the previous setup that was like a boomie with narrow headroom, resulting in the Peltata algae poping up out of the water surface. I could hear my Peltata crying for relocation. Therefore, I had to quickly rearrange the rocks so as to spread the available real estate for my algae over the whole aquarium. Now, it looks quite nice, to my eyes atleast. Keeping the looks aside, if we want the water to be of better quality, the amount of macro-algae needs to increase. I hope to be able to achive complete filtration with my army of Peltata in about a couple of months. Lets wait it out. I am excited already \:D/

tmp-cam--1982545735.jpg

tmp-cam-1546568801.jpg

There is stick(used for the purpose of back scratching :p ) put inside the tank to press the runners down onto the nearby rocks so that the roots can easily find anchorage and continue to spread.

tmp-cam--2004465659.jpg
Aayaan
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby mithun » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:34 am

you are making a saltwater planted tank.. ;) good scaping
Mithun
M:8583865385
Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:If you want something done in a better way, do it yourself.

My 220Gal reef journal | My 150Gal reef journal
mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Aayaan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:10 am

mithun wrote:you are making a saltwater planted tank.. ;) good scaping

Ha ha. I admit that at times it does feel quite in line with what you have said, while staring at that tank of mine. But then, atleast the plants are weired looking as well as beautiful in their strange forms. ;))

The scape. Thanks for the compliment. But the credit goes to "Chance", as it ultimately turned out to be that way, all by itself, after I finished fidling with rocks. :))
Aayaan
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Previous

Return to Marine Journals