Starting a 4 feeter REEF

Diary of the Salty life

Starting a 4 feeter REEF

Postby soumyaghosh » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:49 pm

Hi Friends,
I am Soumya, had a freshwater 3 feeter in past, then suppressed my hobby for couple of years and finally now back to the real world.
For a month am reading and seeing lots of videos, finally had my fund ready for my new 4 feeter Reef. Planning to have mostly corals n inverts with some decent fish.

All I need is your guidance and help, without which it will be difficult to proceed.
I am yet to get the aquarium stand, which is actually delaying the entire idea.

Seniors in the world of Reef, please let me know wherever I make a mistake. I will keep this thread updated if not daily, at least weekly. Will share my experience with my Reef.
As per the initial plan, I am planning for a 4' tank with sump to start with. I have already visited Buro da's shop and got a quotation, which I would like to share with you and get you views.

1. Tank : 4' * 2' * ²²2' - Rs. 5500
2. Sump tank : 2.5 ' - Rs. 2500
3. Protein Skimmer: Rs. 8800 (Reef Octopus)
4. Plumbing cost : Rs. 1800
5. Return Pump : Rs. 1800
6. Live Sand : Rs. 1650 * 4 bags
7. Flurocent Light: Rs. 3000
8. Salt 20kg : Rs. 4600
9. Rock Dead/Live @250/kg * 40kg
10. Medicine : Rs. 5000
11. Master Test Kit : Rs. 3800
12. Wave Maker: Rs. 850

I am not sure of the brands as of now. Need to visit buro da once more to get things finalized, but before that if you all can suggest the best brands with model no. for my 4 feeter tank with 2.5 feeter sump.

I have planned to have the sump with four chambers with sizes as follows:
1. Collection tank for overflowed water - 6 inches
2. Skimmer - 10 inch
3. Refugium with Live rock and macro algae to be used for feeding later and to grow pods and cure corals/fish - 6 inch
4. Bubble trap - 1 or 1/2 inch
5. Return pump - 7 inch

Later planned to buy Zetlight ZT 6600 ;) probably after a year or so.
I don't have RO/DI purifier at home. So planning to buy water. Please suggest Brisleri or Kinley, which is better?
Please reply with all your suggestions.
Regards,
Soumya Ghosh :)

Marine tank :- 48" x 30" x 20"
soumyaghosh
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: Starting a 4 feeter REEF

Postby el batty » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:55 pm

5000 worth of medicine and just 850's wave maker....i am not sure about the brand, but the prices are kinda off the mark.
Regards,
Subhadeep

aninda wrote:I believe in karma. That means I can do bad things to people I don't like and assume they deserved it.
el batty

Postby xarg0n » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:40 pm

soumyaghosh wrote:Hi Friends,
I am Soumya, had a freshwater 3 feeter in past, then suppressed my hobby for couple of years and finally now back to the real world.
For a month am reading and seeing lots of videos, finally had my fund ready for my new 4 feeter Reef. Planning to have mostly corals n inverts with some decent fish.

All I need is your guidance and help, without which it will be difficult to proceed.
I am yet to get the aquarium stand, which is actually delaying the entire idea.

Seniors in the world of Reef, please let me know wherever I make a mistake. I will keep this thread updated if not daily, at least weekly. Will share my experience with my Reef.
As per the initial plan, I am planning for a 4' tank with sump to start with. I have already visited Buro da's shop and got a quotation, which I would like to share with you and get you views.

1. Tank : 4' * 2' * ²²2' - Rs. 5500
Make the dimension in a way you have less height than width, so that overall volume to surface area ratio will be less, allowing
more natural evaporation and cooler temperature . Also This will allow to save some money over lights. For eg 4 Feet (L) X 2.5 Feet (W) X 20" (H)

2. Sump tank : 2.5 ' - Rs. 2500
3. Protein Skimmer: Rs. 8800 (Reef Octopus)
4. Plumbing cost : Rs. 1800
5. Return Pump : Rs. 1800
Invest in better pump in terms of higher flow per unit power consumption, this will result in cooler water temperature. Lookout for Jebao DC variable speed
pumps. Remove meds worth 5K and add that fund to this returns pump section

6. Live Sand : Rs. 1650 * 4 bags
Can you be more elaborate about the brand of this LS and/or quantity per bag etc.
7. Flurocent Light: Rs. 3000
No idea how even fluorescent lights for a feeter can be so expensive. Provide the details of light fixture etc pls.
8. Salt 20kg : Rs. 4600
Every seasoned reefers know the optimum quality reef salt in the market comes around INR 2500 per 20KG bucket !
9. Rock Dead/Live @250/kg * 40kg
10. Medicine : Rs. 5000
Prevention is better than cure; medication in salt water is always expensive ; what you haven't added is the cost of salt water you have to throw out
every time you have to use medicines. Maintaining a better water quality ensures medicines are never used. Use this fund to get better equipments

11. Master Test Kit : Rs. 3800
12. Wave Maker: Rs. 850
Get Jebao wavemakes and nothing else, they will be expensive but last longer and will perform beyond your imagination

I am not sure of the brands as of now. Need to visit buro da once more to get things finalized, but before that if you all can suggest the best brands with model no. for my 4 feeter tank with 2.5 feeter sump.

I have planned to have the sump with four chambers with sizes as follows:
1. Collection tank for overflowed water - 6 inches
2. Skimmer - 10 inch
3. Refugium with Live rock and macro algae to be used for feeding later and to grow pods and cure corals/fish - 6 inch
4. Bubble trap - 1 or 1/2 inch
5. Return pump - 7 inch

Later planned to buy Zetlight ZT 6600 ;) probably after a year or so.
I don't have RO/DI purifier at home. So planning to buy water. Please suggest Bisleri or Kinley, which is better?
Best is make a simple DIY RO/DI unit at your home
Please reply with all your suggestions.
Thanks & Regards..

Sourav...

"If you want to do something in a better way, do it yourself !" --Nepoleon Bonaparte
xarg0n
Dedicated KAC Member
Dedicated KAC Member

Postby soumyaghosh » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:18 am

Hi Sourav & Subhadeep,
I will try to change my dimensions as you have mentioned.
For Return Pump which one do you suggest Jebao DC 6000 or higher?
I am not sure which brand of LS was suggested, Please suggest a good one with the quantity required for a tank with the demention suggested by you. Also if you can tell me the approx price. I am planning to have 1.5 inch of sand bed.
I was told that they will provide actinic White & Blue fluorescent tubes with fixtures. Please suggest a brand and how many white and blue should I buy and what could be the price.
I too was thinking why to buy Medicines from Day 1.
Please suggest the name of the Salt which I should use.
I checked youtube for the WaveMaker, its really awesome. Will a Jebao RW-8 be sufficient for my tank or should I go for Jebao RW-15.
I will check out DIY for RO/DI.

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions & help.
Regards,

soumyaghosh
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby kumarjit » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:11 am

Best of luck Soumya. I am also planning for moving fresh water to salt water but still now thinking where to start LOL!!
kumarjit

Postby el batty » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:43 am

if you are willing to invest, i would suggest buying a sicce pump which might cost a lot, but wattage and life expectancy will be more.
instant ocean reef crystal is supposed to be the best reef salt on paper, but we are using blue treasure with good results.
Actinic and white should be in the ratio 2:1...if not 2:1...blue should be more than white.
Regards,
Subhadeep

aninda wrote:I believe in karma. That means I can do bad things to people I don't like and assume they deserved it.
el batty

Postby soumyaghosh » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:37 am

Hi Subhadeep,
I checked with Water World, they only have BT/RedSea/Sachem Salt : 3000/4200/4500 respectively and Buro Da I guess has Sachem....Which one to take?
It would be good to have more knowledge on Lighting details.I mean to say, let me know how many lights do I require (LED or non LED), blue and white for my 4 feeter. Please suggest a company name & also if you can let me know the approx price.
Additionally how much sand do I need?
Regards,

soumyaghosh
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby soumyaghosh » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:25 pm

Hi All,
Finally ordered my 4 feeter to buro da along with a 3 feeter sump.
All set, will get the rest of the suffs on Saturday.
Once I receive everything will update you all with specs and pics.
I am upset only because I am not able to get any LR. Can anyone help me to grab some. Please KACians help me.....
Regards,

soumyaghosh
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby deep123 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:16 pm

Seachem is best among them IMO. Price is fair also. that's the price of per bucket, i.e. 20 kg salt.
to build 1.5 inch sand bed in your tank you need 30-35 kg sand.
deep123
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby soumyaghosh » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:12 pm

Excited to get all the equipments on Saturday and some LRs.....will update u guys with the pics
Regards,

soumyaghosh
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Next

Return to Marine Journals