My first salt water aquarium

Diary of the Salty life

My first salt water aquarium

Postby Sunit » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:56 am

Hi, I am going for a marine aquarium.I have ordered an aquarium at Buro Da's size 30*16*18in (L*B*H)with sump hole. I have a 1.5' spare aquarium to be my sump. I need some help and some info.

1.Is the sump size ok?also need some advice on design and filter media.
2.Is a skimmer must have?
3. What Test kit to be used?
4. Is Azoo substrate a good one for marine aquarium.
5. Which type of rock to be use LR or DR as both have pros and cons?
6. I have a 2x36 watt pll setup from my previous planted tank with phillips 6500k lamps can they be used or I need to go with some thing else?

I will start with Fish Only With(either live or dead as your valuable feedback)Rock and after some corals(easy to keep ones)and maybe after a long time when I gather enough exp. some tough ones.

PLZ guide me through my voyage.Thanks in adv. for your feed back. :-bd \m/
kEEp iT KoooooooooooooooooooooooooooLLL.
Sunit
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: My first salt water aquarium

Postby el batty » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:35 am

1.Is the sump size ok?also need some advice on design and filter media.
A: for your tank size, its adequete..but you wont be able to give much stress in it in terms of gadgets.
2.Is a skimmer must have?
A: If you are planning to do regular water changes once a month around 30%, you wont need a skimmer.
3. What Test kit to be used?
A: You need to start with a FOWLR setup. So, you need to procure cured live rocks and for that setup, you'd need NO2, ph as bare necessity. NO3 wont be needed as you wont be keeping any inverts. NH3 is optional.
4. Is Azoo substrate a good one for marine aquarium.
A: Aragonite sand is the best substrate you can get for marine setups due to its buffering property. You can buy live sand too. Azoo substrate, i am not sure. I dont think many have used this.
5. Which type of rock to be use LR or DR as both have pros and cons?
A: LRs are always beneficial as you get a colony of beneficial bacterias as well as critters and other hitch hikers. DR are colorless and they serve the purpose of shelters only. But, if you have a budget constraint, you can buy dead rocks, get a small piece of live rock full of coraline and use the small rock to seed your dead rocks with coraline spores.
6. I have a 2x36 watt pll setup from my previous planted tank with phillips 6500k lamps can they be used or I need to go with some thing else?
A: you will need 3 tubes of 2' if you want to make your tank full of coraline. (2 actinics and 1 t5 - 6500K)
Regards,
Subhadeep

aninda wrote:I believe in karma. That means I can do bad things to people I don't like and assume they deserved it.
el batty

Postby Sunit » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:59 am

thank a lot,
I didn't understand the monthly water change isn't the wc a weekly process for marine aquariums?the azoo one is a live sand but its dry Shaheb at Buro da's showed it to me and where to get argonite sand and PLZ shed some info about the actinics I was not able to get Info about those
Sunit
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby el batty » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:50 am

buro da can arrange them only.
weekly water change is an unreal concept in marine section.
but if you can do it, you wont be needing sump too..just a wet-dry trickle filter and thats all.

but i'd say you go for a sump only.
If its live sand,it will come in a wet pack..with water and all...if its dry, how is it live?
Regards,
Subhadeep

aninda wrote:I believe in karma. That means I can do bad things to people I don't like and assume they deserved it.
el batty

Postby Sunit » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:34 am

I don't no about the sand but it had a mix of many different things and he also told me that its not proper live sand like u said but said its calcium rich and will aid in keeping higher PH levels.
What about the lights where to get them,I read a post on KAC about a store named National(I didn't remember the full name of the store). Some one mentioned about the owner being a good aquarium light expert and have good stock of aquarium lights.But I can't find the thread.
Sunit
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby el batty » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:08 pm

you can either talk to pratik garg in our forum itself or you can visit best electricals...but you wont find marine light in best...you can pm pratik garg and check out him store for actinics.
Regards,
Subhadeep

el batty

Postby Sunit » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:23 pm

Is Live rock and dead rock banned???? I asked Buro da he told me he can't get rocks now wTh what to do about rocks please help ~x( ~x( ~x(
Sunit
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby el batty » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:27 pm

its not openly sold. Thats all.
Regards,
Subhadeep

el batty

Postby Sunit » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:04 pm

so where to get my rock from
Sunit
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby el batty » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:05 pm

come to galiff tomorrow i will give u a reference
Regards,
Subhadeep

el batty

Next

Return to Marine Journals