My marine started

Diary of the Salty life

Re: My marine started

Postby Najib » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:34 pm

As of now I am happy with my FW. Less hassle. We never know about the future ;)

Btw Sunny... What will be your livestock?
Najib

***My Fish Eat Your Fish***
Najib

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Postby xarg0n » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:22 pm

ashim1610 wrote:
Najib wrote:Good luck mate.

@ashim.... What is the temp need to be maintained?
If it is 24-25c then two high power cooling fans can do the job in bringing the temps down from 29-30c which I am currently successful in. The only issue will be water evaporation. Since mine is a planted tank I am not sure how it works for marine.

On a side note, there is a LFS around my place with a 15g tank operating on one single fan. The LFS lady had once mentioned she does a litre of top up everyday.

Najib vai, you are partially right.
In case of monster tanks like yours, there are a lots of place for several cooling fans.
One of my marine friend is keeping coral too wth six cpu fans, also during kolkata's summer.

But, in case of nano, there is very less space for such cooling fans, IMO.

Nextly, the evaporation factor.
In case of fresh water, there is no risk of salinity fluctuation.
But in marin?
Evaporation rate of my tank is 2lit per day now in this cool weather.
Think what'll be occour during summer. And 2lit evaporation from 300lit and 1lit evaporation from 100lit isn't same.
Salinity 'll be rise so quickly in case of nano marine. So must need a auto top up.

In LFS, normally are they maintain anything?
They just need to sale. And they know business is all 'bout profit and loss. So, if a clown or a chromies died due to bad water condition, owner must carry forward its rate fractionally to other species, so no loss.
One of my lfs owner even has no test kits except NH3.
His phylosophy is test kits are tention maker.
Do we start to think this way, Najib vai? :p

the main challenge of using fans to cool water is not the evaporation causing SG hike ..because almost all marine folks are used to with doing top off every other day , even if fans are not means of cooling. Rather it is the
evaporation which should take place in first in a humid place like Kolkata. Najib bhai..fans are of no use in hot humid summer of Kolkata. I am ready to top off bucket full of water everyday for gods sake but koyee to humidity kam karo yaar !!
I remember when I was in Chennai during summer humidity used to be around 70%, so using fans I could easily drop temperature 2-3 degrees. Here in KOlkata except for winter humidity always clocks 95%+. I have about 10+ cpu fans, 80 and 90 mms all sitting in shelves :(
Thanks & Regards..

Sourav...

"If you want to do something in a better way, do it yourself !" --Nepoleon Bonaparte
xarg0n
Dedicated KAC Member
Dedicated KAC Member

Postby Najib » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:58 am

Now that's a logical answer ;)
Najib

Najib

Postby ashim1610 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:14 am

xarg0n wrote:
ashim1610 wrote:
Najib wrote:Good luck mate.

@ashim.... What is the temp need to be maintained?
If it is 24-25c then two high power cooling fans can do the job in bringing the temps down from 29-30c which I am currently successful in. The only issue will be water evaporation. Since mine is a planted tank I am not sure how it works for marine.

On a side note, there is a LFS around my place with a 15g tank operating on one single fan. The LFS lady had once mentioned she does a litre of top up everyday.

Najib vai, you are partially right.
In case of monster tanks like yours, there are a lots of place for several cooling fans.
One of my marine friend is keeping coral too wth six cpu fans, also during kolkata's summer.

But, in case of nano, there is very less space for such cooling fans, IMO.

Nextly, the evaporation factor.
In case of fresh water, there is no risk of salinity fluctuation.
But in marin?
Evaporation rate of my tank is 2lit per day now in this cool weather.
Think what'll be occour during summer. And 2lit evaporation from 300lit and 1lit evaporation from 100lit isn't same.
Salinity 'll be rise so quickly in case of nano marine. So must need a auto top up.

In LFS, normally are they maintain anything?
They just need to sale. And they know business is all 'bout profit and loss. So, if a clown or a chromies died due to bad water condition, owner must carry forward its rate fractionally to other species, so no loss.
One of my lfs owner even has no test kits except NH3.
His phylosophy is test kits are tention maker.
Do we start to think this way, Najib vai? :p

the main challenge of using fans to cool water is not the evaporation causing SG hike ..because almost all marine folks are used to with doing top off every other day , even if fans are not means of cooling. Rather it is the
evaporation which should take place in first in a humid place like Kolkata. Najib bhai..fans are of no use in hot humid summer of Kolkata. I am ready to top off bucket full of water everyday for gods sake but koyee to humidity kam karo yaar !!
I remember when I was in Chennai during summer humidity used to be around 70%, so using fans I could easily drop temperature 2-3 degrees. Here in KOlkata except for winter humidity always clocks 95%+. I have about 10+ cpu fans, 80 and 90 mms all sitting in shelves :(

Sourav daa, one of my mariner friend is living just 4 minutes walking distance from my home.

He has a 4 feeter wth no cooler even.

That guy is keeping zoanthids, mashrooms, leather fingers, maze and open brain corals and many more wth just six cpu fans, as I spoke before.

Yea humidity is too high here during summer and rainy seasons.

But logically think, in a humid place if you are running a high speed fan wth a target point, then humidity of that particular target never be the same of its surroundings.

If it is, then when you hang a wet cloth infront of a high speed fan why its become dry before than other wet cloths hanging out of the range of that fan? Humidity matters, but not in all situations.

Just not it is. There are other factors too.
Such as where your tank is.
My frienda tank is on ground floor of his house. Room hight is 12'. So much more space for air movement.

Nextly the place is always cool from other sector.
He never open windows during hot morning or noon. Building is G+2.

So even in burning summer the room always cooler than external environment.

I inspired to see his set-up.
As my residence is G+2.
My tank is also at ground floor and the room hight is above 10'.
And I personally feel the diff.
In hot noon of summer, when my 1st floor rooms are start to boil, ground floor rooms are remain cooler. Same in winter, these rooms are more warmer than my 1st or second floor rooms.

So, I don't know, why your high speed fans are on rack. May be there are other factors responsible for it. Not only the humidity.
THERE IS NOTHING AS TRANSPARENT AS WATER. BE TRANSPARENT, AND WORLD COMES TO YOU THE SAME. ALWAYS KEEP SMILING.....

REGARDS..........
ASHIM.
ashim1610
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby xarg0n » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:41 am

The problem is not that..in ground floor as natuarally temperature is less ..fans can bring the temp down by say a constant value and after the drop the new temperature falls in the acceptable range. now as the humidity is constant ..no matter how many fans you run .the temperature drop is also the same constant value. so for example if your ground floor has an ambient temperature of 29 degree and fans can drop a constant temperature say 2 degrees ..your tank temperature will become 27 degrees which is well within acceptable temperature. Now in your first floor temperature is 33 degrees and the same 2 degrees will be reduced by using fans and the effective temperature will be 31 as the overall humidity is constant. for the same reason I cannot bring my aquarium down to garrage for 2 degrees ambient drop of temperature ..so I can curse only one humidity ;)
Thanks & Regards..

Sourav...

"If you want to do something in a better way, do it yourself !" --Nepoleon Bonaparte
xarg0n
Dedicated KAC Member
Dedicated KAC Member

Postby ashim1610 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:18 pm

Yap dada..........
I'm saying the same thing. :)

Evaporation is depend upon humidity. And temperature is depend upon evaporation too.

So, the topic, 'bout which Najib vai spoke. In case of nano, tanks position, place and airation is very crusial, if we have to depend upon evaporation for temp.
So, I spoke 'bout a chiller, where you don't need to worry 'bout whether your tank is on top floor or in garage. :p

And when summer hits the nano, salinity increasing due to evaporation and temp. rising due to summer and also for running skimmer, wave maker, sump pump and also for lights 'll cause a devastating effect, as water volume is too less quantity.
THERE IS NOTHING AS TRANSPARENT AS WATER. BE TRANSPARENT, AND WORLD COMES TO YOU THE SAME. ALWAYS KEEP SMILING.....

REGARDS..........
ASHIM.
ashim1610
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby el batty » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:30 pm

debdoot is as exception if you are talking about him @ ashim :P
Regards,
Subhadeep

aninda wrote:I believe in karma. That means I can do bad things to people I don't like and assume they deserved it.
el batty

Postby xarg0n » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:40 pm

yeah..I think he is. I have been in devdoots place and his tank is in the ground floor. not only that his room walls are thicker than normal flats which also helps in keeping the temperature way less. His ground. floor ambient temperature in the peak summer happens to be around 28-29. same case with kalyan. All staying in older buildings especially in the ground floor and wall thickness more than standard flats enjoy this benifit. They will never need chiller. I think hobbyists sufferring from higher temp should take chanda from them for chiller fund ;)
Thanks & Regards..

Sourav...

xarg0n
Dedicated KAC Member
Dedicated KAC Member

Postby ashim1610 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:06 pm

Yah.......same here........ :D

Think my father is an astrologer. :p
He must calculated that once upon a time in future his son 'll be a salty guy. So 25yrs ago he made our residance wall 12" thick to save my pocket!!! :))

REGARDS..........
ASHIM.
ashim1610
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Najib » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:59 pm

So from this discussion we can give a go ahead to Sunny to install cooling fans?
Najib

Najib

PreviousNext

Return to Marine Journals