Learning the hardway guys :plz help out with set up design

Diary of the Salty life

Learning the hardway guys :plz help out with set up design

Postby Rudra » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:06 pm

Hello friends,

Let me introduce myself , I was introduced to aquatic life & the hobby by my dadaubhai when I was in class 2.
I continued with him & we were able to set up freshwater tank with beautiful fishes like Goldfish , Molly , Fighter , catfish etc.

Also others were around like Badrika , Lovebirds.

And dog was there from the very beginning.I now have a Black Lab named BOB (sleeping just beside me now i-) )
At class 8 ,these gave away to the teenage attractions like cricket & other mortal beauties. L-)

I graduated in BBA(H) in'09 , when I stared earning a little all the past hobbies came back as now I can afford them & things are available nowadays.
Couldn't hold myself from bringing in Cichlids & setting up a 42" x 18" x18" tank.

but the species are more of a hybrid types & collecting pure ones were a problem.
I turned towards Arowana but managed to have one Pearl Arowana.
I turned towards FlowerHorn but managed to have one Red Dragon(Not sure of purity but I still have it).

I rate myself as a impulsive one.
In this year begining I learned about a shop which deals in Marine Stuffs.
R & D began but I was lost in huge pool of informations.

I left the job for further study (Advertising in St. Xaviers) last July.
from whatever I saved I managed to buy a pack of Brightwell Aquatics ' NeoMarine salt. and few other things as follows..

1. WY-100 Refracto meter by ReefOctopus
2. Atman AT105 pump
3.Reefcode A & B by Brightwell Aquatics
4.Microbacter 7 by Brightwell Aquatics
5.Liquid Reef by Brightwell Aquatics (was gifted actually 8-} )
6.pack of Ceramic Rings
7. Activated Carbon by Brightwell Aquatics
8. Salifert Test kit- pH , NO2

In my 36"x 14" x 12" tank I mixed the salt in required amount with RO water.(Used 'Pure it' by HUL to get RO Water).
Couldn't buy Rocks so I put in Rocks from riverbanks(after cleaning). Used my old Thermoster (kept at 25degree) and used my Jebo Power filter from Flower Horn tank to mix the salt.

After one week I checked the water parameters.It was stable next two days. :-?
Now I put in One Pajama Cardinal & one Percula. they were happy, healthy & eating flakes. I put in Red Mushroom Coral.
Were in good shape. :ymapplause:

Last week Impulsively , when searching for a wimple I found a CA (blue)placed it at a distance 10" from Mushroom. (~~)
stopped dosing & continjued with filteration(now a top filter box with media only). :-??

CA found the current discomforting so it approched the sucktion area and clogged it. 8-x
Filtering stopped. In morning I found dead fish. clouded water & Shrunken mushroom.
x_x
CA was pale & out of shape. :-??

Lesson Learnt.
1. Overflow design is req.
2. R & D is the 'king'
3. Abide by the rules of 'God's
4. Move on taking the brighter sides

Guys, I live in Uluberia where there is no Glass drillers , no bulkhead fitters.
I start again from 0 & flat broke.
:-w How to go about it.

I am having my old 42" x 18" x 18 " tank. for sump I have the 3feeter tank.

Help me out with the set up designs plz.

:(
Rudra
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: Learning the hardway guys :plz help out with set up desi

Postby Tirtha » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:07 pm

Welcome to KAC Rudra. Here we have couple of marine guys. Just wait for them to see your post. They will try their level best.
Regards,
Tirtha

A Bad Attitude is like a Flat Tyre. You cannot go anywhere until you change it.
Tirtha
Admin
Admin

Postby Rudra » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:10 pm

I feel good Tirtha Da
Rudra
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby Tirtha » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:26 pm

Keep watching the journal, Mithun has stsarted. Now he is planning for the SUMP and it's design. So it might be helpful to you too.

If you could not find out any Glass driller in Uluberia, get the drilled panel from Kolkata and just replace the side glass of your tank.
Regards,
Tirtha

A Bad Attitude is like a Flat Tyre. You cannot go anywhere until you change it.
Tirtha
Admin
Admin

Postby mithun » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:40 pm

Sad to hear about your disaster Rudra.. many has found themselves in similar condition due to the bad habit of the carpet anemones.. many of them not only lost their carpet but also lost their entire tank due to this.. Suction blocked, the sump pump still pushed the water into the main tank making it overflow and eventually losing their sump pump due to running dry and then if they are unlucky enough burnt out pump made the whole tank short circuitted and a living disaster..

If you have seen my earlier nano tank, you will notice I have fit the cut out bottom part of a bottle in the suction part to prevent this.. notice the suction bulkhead..

In my current project, I have drilled 2 holes for drain so that even if one is blocked by similar incident the other keeps the sump going and does not make the system fail

You can use some of your own innovation to prevent this.. a small frilled plastic cup etc usually works good for this
Mithun
M:8583865385
Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:If you want something done in a better way, do it yourself.

My 220Gal reef journal | My 150Gal reef journal
mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Rudra » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:57 pm

Thanks Mithun.

What I used is the power head of RS Top filter.

Now to have a overflow design , I need a extra chamber with main tank or a side panel hole will do "(As I see yours).
Sorry boss, I have not seen many Marine tanks in reality.So my Qs might be flat foolish !

The sump pump has the power of 2000L/H out put. Can I control it with a valve in piping.
Local shop can get me 12mm hole only. Will that do for piping / Bulkheads?? :)]

Where can I find Bulkheads fits?

Haire, This b;log should have surfaced while I was surfing ,while bringing my Blue CA home...

http://blog.captive-aquatics.com/captiv ... arium.html

:((
Rudra
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby el batty » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:19 am

if you are unable to drill a hole in the tank, i would suggest to go for an overflow chamber. The plumbing might be a little more than normal ones if you DIY. else commercially ones are available with hang on back status. That way your problem will be solved.

Its sad to hear about the carpet but they do have a habit of wandering around but honestly i doubt the fishes died in one night coz of no filtration. Another mistake was to buy the anemone impulsively :P But i would have done the same if i were you so can't complain.

I started too with a sumpless tank in 3' but soon only i shifted to a full equiped marine setup.

Welcome to the salty side and we'll try to help out as much as possible.

Btw, you planning to keep fish only tank or a reef? How is the temp of the room where the tank is set?
Regards,
Subhadeep

aninda wrote:I believe in karma. That means I can do bad things to people I don't like and assume they deserved it.
el batty

Postby Rudra » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:55 am

Hello SUbhadeep,

yes I am planning to have a reef tank. The room temparature fluctuates between twelve to thirty two degrees C. I changed my mind. I am going for a fullfldged set up. I have a four by one by onepoint five tank. Now how to convert it to a overflow box. If I install a panel of less height at one side of that tank, overflowed water will be collected in that. I can pump out with a a powerhead. Cant I ? If that is ok then i can move ahead with the sump design. Boss which skimmer would you re you recommend for that sixty G tank? I need to scrape, for broke #:-s i am now
Rudra
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby el batty » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:04 am

are you going to get a chiller? coz at 32 you wont be able to save anything expect mushrooms and at best zoas.
So, if you are not sure of a reef, but a fish only tank with live rocks, then you can not only save a lot of money but also invest the same amount on better gadgets that'd last long.

The concept of overflow box is that water will collect in that box and there will be a hole in that box that will connect to the sump. This saves you the trouble of drilling a hole in the glass as the hole will be in the box where the water will overflow from the main tank.

1.5 is the height or the width of the tank?
Regards,
Subhadeep

aninda wrote:I believe in karma. That means I can do bad things to people I don't like and assume they deserved it.
el batty

Postby el batty » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:06 am

I am using weipro 2011 skimmer (costs within 1300 in galiff). Its good enough for my 4x2x1.5 tank with 2.5x15"x15" sump.

Sump is a critical thing and make sure you get the design right before you start. and ya, make sure there is enough clearing between the top of the sump and base of the main tank's table.

My clearing is around barely 1' so i am having huge problem in maintenance. Since you will be starting from scratch, you can get a hold of common mistakes committed by others and make sure you don't do that :D
Regards,
Subhadeep

el batty

Next

Return to Marine Journals