Starting a tank build -- have some noob questions

Use this forum to maintain all of your fish only journals

Re: Starting a tank build -- have some noob questions

Postby Amit.. » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:02 pm

arindam77 wrote:Seems you made a mistake, silicone is not to be injected while the spacers are in position.
You should have made like point soldering with silicone while the spacers are in position, around 1 foot apart, then let the points cure, then remove spacer, trim the excess silicone at the points soldered/ joined both inside and outside and then inject silicone along the whole seam.
And you should put the tape at narrower margin, so that less silicone is visible.
Now, i see why there was mess with silicone.
Anyway, it's the sump. Better luck next time. I will try to draw a image showing steps, if time permits.

Will the joints hold together? or should i redo them.
Regards
Amit

Just getting started in fish keeping.... for the second time.
Amit..
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Postby arindam77 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:27 pm

Joints will hold, but the question is water tightness. Don't loose hope, it's only the sump. You can always redo later. Fill the gaps as soon as possible. And overlap silicone where the old and new joins. Finish is not going to be good, though.
arindam77
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby Amit.. » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:50 pm

arindam77 wrote:Joints will hold, but the question is water tightness. Don't loose hope, it's only the sump. You can always redo later. Fill the gaps as soon as possible. And overlap silicone where the old and new joins. Finish is not going to be good, though.

Me too, keen on checking water tightness. I put it together on Tuesday around 11 pm, Do you think today it might have cured enough to check with water half way?
Regards
Amit

Amit..
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby arindam77 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:51 pm

No, not yet, Curing rate of silicone is 1 -1.5 mm per 24 hrs, if not exposed to air. As, this injection method puts silicone between glass panes , the silicone surface is only exposed to air. So, calculating 8 mm curing from both sides it will take 72-96 hrs. Water testing should be done at least on Sunday morning, not before that. Else you will be risking whole project.

Once I made a 10mm thick washer for my vacuum cleaner hose, which Eureka Forbes couldn't supply, as it was outdated model, and after 7 days it wasn't cured, luckily i made 2 pieces of same design, and 2nd one was opened after another 7 days, to be good.
arindam77
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby Amit.. » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:12 pm

arindam77 wrote:No, not yet, Curing rate of silicone is 1 -1.5 mm per 24 hrs, if not exposed to air. As, this injection method puts silicone between glass panes , the silicone surface is only exposed to air. So, calculating 8 mm curing from both sides it will take 72-96 hrs. Water testing should be done at least on Sunday morning, not before that. Else you will be risking whole project.

Once I made a 10mm thick washer for my vacuum cleaner hose, which Eureka Forbes couldn't supply, as it was outdated model, and after 7 days it wasn't cured, luckily i made 2 pieces of same design, and 2nd one was opened after another 7 days, to be good.

Noted, not touching it before Sunday. BTW the filling of the spacer gaps turned out fine, Doesn't even look like there was a gap ever.
Your advice is really working wonders for me :-bd . Cheers
Regards
Amit

Amit..
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby arindam77 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:49 pm

Water testing should be done on a leveled surface, and put the tank on a thin (NOT THICK) thermocol . I know, what I am saying. Half inch will do. Purchase a spirit level, if you don't have one.
BTW, what are you planning to keep in the main tank ?
arindam77
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby Amit.. » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:52 am

arindam77 wrote:Water testing should be done on a leveled surface, and put the tank on a thin (NOT THICK) thermocol . I know, what I am saying. Half inch will do. Purchase a spirit level, if you don't have one.
BTW, what are you planning to keep in the main tank ?

I've level testing app on my phone. its quite accurate. Or i can borrow a spirit level from a carpentry shop next door. Yeah, i agree with you about the cushioning, i know what you mean. Anyway thats not happening before sunday. So i'll focus on reinforcing the table for the time being.
Regards
Amit

Amit..
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby arindam77 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:16 am

Any news of Water testing ?
arindam77
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby Amit.. » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:21 am

Nothing really, no further development until Sunday, some friends came over, was stoned pretty much the whole weekend.

However, this morning i've set it up on surface which my spirit app says has 2 degree pitch and .7 degree roll. but its a plane surface with no noticeable warping or dents.
Have filled it up 1/3 and plan to leave it at that over night. I haven't noticed any visible leak or bowing of the front glass.
However, as the tank doesn't have any braces i wouldn't fill it up to the brim until i have set up the partitions etc.
Regards
Amit

Amit..
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby arindam77 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:57 am

Correct it, top will be more than 1.5 cm away from bottom with 2 degree pitch. Better not put any unnecessary stress on glass and joints. Not your fault, the Earth also seemed flat for centuries.
arindam77
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

PreviousNext

Return to Non Planted Journals