Some shrimpy advice requested

Re: Some shrimpy advice requested

Postby xarg0n » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:19 am

C.Babaulti is referred as rainbow shrimps as they tend to be of different colors depending on food , surroundings etc. IMO Rainbow shrimps , if introduced carefully with drip acclimatization (even though many a times I did not), there should not be any trouble. I technically dont see that they are any less fragile than rcs. I have quite a hefty number of rainbow shrimp population with pressurized co2. But there is one aspect though. Rainbow shrimps are more shy in nature than rcs and they tend to get bullied pretty much by others easily..at times by rcs as well. Also if excessive co2 that kills rainbow shrimps can kill rcs as well.
Thanks & Regards..

Sourav...

"If you want to do something in a better way, do it yourself !" --Nepoleon Bonaparte
xarg0n
Dedicated KAC Member
Dedicated KAC Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Postby Sumit K Sen » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:24 am

xarg0n wrote:C.Babaulti is referred as rainbow shrimps as they tend to be of different colors depending on food , surroundings etc. IMO Rainbow shrimps , if introduced carefully with drip acclimatization (even though many a times I did not), there should not be any trouble. I technically dont see that they are any less fragile than rcs. I have quite a hefty number of rainbow shrimp population with pressurized co2. But there is one aspect though. Rainbow shrimps are more shy in nature than rcs and they tend to get bullied pretty much by others easily..at times by rcs as well. Also if excessive co2 that kills rainbow shrimps can kill rcs as well.

Many thanks.
One question. I have read that shrimps should be drip acclimatized (as you mention). Is it true for all shrimp varsities that one introduces into a new set up?
Cheers!
Sumit K Sen
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby xarg0n » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:57 am

Ideally every species should be drip acclimatized if you know when or whether there is a need or not. For example we collected a lot of c.babaulti and ghost shrimps from the purbasthali collection trip. Now the water parameter there closely matched to that of Tala supply. Like TDS of 127, Tala varies from 120 to 130 roughly. pH between 7 and 8, Tala water pH is roughly 7.4. So these were well within the acceptable range. A pH difference of 1+ should be enough to justify a drip acclimatization. Same reason I directly released them in my tank with 30 mins of temperature acclimatization and all of them are doing just fine till today.
Thanks & Regards..

Sourav...

"If you want to do something in a better way, do it yourself !" --Nepoleon Bonaparte
xarg0n
Dedicated KAC Member
Dedicated KAC Member

Postby Sumit K Sen » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:04 am

xarg0n wrote:Ideally every species should be drip acclimatized if you know when or whether there is a need or not. For example we collected a lot of c.babaulti and ghost shrimps from the purbasthali collection trip. Now the water parameter there closely matched to that of Tala supply. Like TDS of 127, Tala varies from 120 to 130 roughly. pH between 7 and 8, Tala water pH is roughly 7.4. So these were well within the acceptable range. A pH difference of 1+ should be enough to justify a drip acclimatization. Same reason I directly released them in my tank with 30 mins of temperature acclimatization and all of them are doing just fine till today.

Thanks a ton, good learning. Much appreciated. So, if someone does not use test kits, his/her best bet is to not take a chance and drip acclimatize.
Sumit K Sen
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby xarg0n » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:09 am

Well you can say that, with a hypothesis "tank water is the worst of all" :D
Thanks & Regards..

Sourav...

xarg0n
Dedicated KAC Member
Dedicated KAC Member

Postby Sumit K Sen » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:13 am

xarg0n wrote:Well you can say that, with a hypothesis "tank water is the worst of all" :D

:))
Sumit K Sen
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Previous

Return to Shrimps and Inverts