Some shrimpy advice requested

Re: Some shrimpy advice requested

Postby rahul » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:37 pm

lets get back to shrimps rather than otos.
honestly any red,yellow,orange neocaridinas are usually bullet proof,can withstand normal summers with fans, aeration and decently cycled tanks.And you will have something to cherish once you will fill your tank with those.
rahul

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Postby Sumit K Sen » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:25 am

rahul wrote:lets get back to shrimps rather than otos.
honestly any red,yellow,orange neocaridinas are usually bullet proof,can withstand normal summers with fans, aeration and decently cycled tanks.And you will have something to cherish once you will fill your tank with those.

I think I will bite the shrimp bullet :) Just the sort of advice I needed. Thanks.
Sumit K Sen
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby aquarajan » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:56 am

You are right. If otos are tummy-full with the slimy soft algae that they get around they wont bother to touch anything else. I feed them Hikari algae wafers too particularly when I have dosed glut or h2o2 in the tank for which these weaker algae species die and theres no food for the ottos to nibble on or once in a while just to change their taste.

Try feeding them when lights are off. They are anyways unsettled with the lights on. What I do is just take one tab of the wafers and break them to small pieces and randomly drop them in the tank. This helps in the otos to identify them. Shrimps I have seen are much more smarter when it comes to hunting them. Also, its an observation that otos prefer it when it is a bit mushier than when hard. So small broken pieces of mushy algae wafers even if left uneaten wont be a grave problem. One tab sufficies my 5 ottos belly full. So its preferred not to overfeed.
Cheers,
Rajan Bhaumik

"We've come too far to give up who we are..."
aquarajan
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby avik » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:04 am

Rainbow shrimps?
avik
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Sumit K Sen » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:35 am

aquarajan wrote:You are right. If otos are tummy-full with the slimy soft algae that they get around they wont bother to touch anything else. I feed them Hikari algae wafers too particularly when I have dosed glut or h2o2 in the tank for which these weaker algae species die and theres no food for the ottos to nibble on or once in a while just to change their taste.

Try feeding them when lights are off. They are anyways unsettled with the lights on. What I do is just take one tab of the wafers and break them to small pieces and randomly drop them in the tank. This helps in the otos to identify them. Shrimps I have seen are much more smarter when it comes to hunting them. Also, its an observation that otos prefer it when it is a bit mushier than when hard. So small broken pieces of mushy algae wafers even if left uneaten wont be a grave problem. One tab sufficies my 5 ottos belly full. So its preferred not to overfeed.

Thank you :) I leave them overnight - but not even a small piece is touched. And then the only way to remove them is to siphon it away.
Sumit K Sen
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Sumit K Sen » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:39 am

avik wrote:Rainbow shrimps?

Won't work for me. This tank will have pressurized CO2 - and they seem to be allergic to it :(
Sumit K Sen
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby xarg0n » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:55 pm

Rainbow shrimps are allergetic to pressurized co2 ? :O
Thanks & Regards..

Sourav...

"If you want to do something in a better way, do it yourself !" --Nepoleon Bonaparte
xarg0n
Dedicated KAC Member
Dedicated KAC Member

Postby Sumit K Sen » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:29 am

xarg0n wrote:Rainbow shrimps are allergetic to pressurized co2 ? :O

That's what I summarized from threads on rainbow shrimps here and elsewhere on the net. Incorrect, is it?
Cheers!
Sumit K Sen
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby xarg0n » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:58 pm

You mean c.babaulti ?
Thanks & Regards..

Sourav...

"If you want to do something in a better way, do it yourself !" --Nepoleon Bonaparte
xarg0n
Dedicated KAC Member
Dedicated KAC Member

Postby Sumit K Sen » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:58 am

xarg0n wrote:You mean c.babaulti ?

Me completely ignorant about shrimps xargOn :) Even 6 months ago I thought shrimps are what garnish Chinese fried rice :D I just searched for Rainbow Shrimp on this forum and read threads that mentioned them. At least a few reported that their rainbows were killed because of some CO2 issues while RCS survived. I have to get to learn about shrimps and want to keep some. When I was an active hobbyist we never kept shrimps other than the accidental entry of local shrimps from a collection trip. They never survived for long.
Cheers!
Sumit K Sen
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

PreviousNext

Return to Shrimps and Inverts