Intoducting myself

Give a small introduction of yourself and your hobby so we can know you better
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Intoducting myself

Postby malsaq » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:59 pm

Hello to everyone. I am Aslam and I live in Karachi, Pakistan. Perhaps I may be the first Kolkata Aquarium Club member from my country? Anyway I came across your website whilst browsing the web seeking a remedy for my two discus fishes, one of which had started getting Ich or white spots and the other suffering from pop eye. I have tried various options, just changing water, adding aquarium salt, then medication (oxytetracycline). It was too late for one of my discus, a male of six inches who was with me for more than five years. I had taken him when he was the size of a coin, a five rupee coin that is smaller than a silver dollar. Anyway the other discus, a female about 4 inches is doing better now. The Ich has gone and its eyes have also started getting better but she has started standing on her head since the last 3-4 days. I would like to convey my gratitude to one of your members i.e. 'Achintya' whose post on 'How to prevent ich or white spot disease of discus' post on Thu Jul 12, 2012 helped me in curing this discus. Many many thanks, dear friend. Oh, lest I forget I have four discus,one died and now three are left and all had pop eye.

I love fish and aquariums, I have three tanks of four feet each. In one I have the three discus - this is a barebottom tank. In another I have about a dozen colourful chiclids, all about 4 inches long (when I took them they were about half an inch long). My last tank is partioned in two equal parts, one of which houses a long body Flowerhorn about 7 inches long (when I bought it it was about an inch long) and in the other I am keeping eight red dwarf gouramis. Of all the fish I have my all time favourite are the Discus.

I have been keeping fishes for a long time now but I hope to learn many new things from the Kolkata Aquarium Club. I am also member of a few Discus Forums in other countries but many times I have felt as if I am lost there as many of their equipment/accessories/medicine are not available in my country. I think the Kolkata Club being more in my vicinity and we sharing many similarities can be more of a help to me. Unfortunately there are no fish forums in Pakistan from where I can take help or guidance.

Thank you all for reading. Cheers.
malsaq
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: Intoducting myself

Postby avik » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:59 am

Welcome to the forum Aslam. Sorry about your loss and hope all the remaining discusses will be fine shortly. What are your filtrations systems and what is the feeding and water change regime? The colorful cichlids..are they malawi cichlids?
avik
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby vikramdutta » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:41 am

A Very big Welcome from my side Aslam, i am Really excited to have a friend from Pakistan,
Aslam I will suggest you to post the photographs of your pets, Tank dimension, filtration, water change schedule if possible water parameter, water temperature of the tank, weather condition of your place round d year. and what u have used to treat the pets. This will help our experts to suggest you the treatment. This is a great hobby and we will definitely guide you whenever you will face problem. All D best, Happy fish keeping.
vikramdutta
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Re: Thanks

Postby malsaq » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:59 pm

Thank you Avik and Virkamdutta for your kind welcome. Sorry about the belated reply but I was busy with other things.

At this moment my 3 remaining discus are well on the way to getting better and they have improved greatly. Their pop eye problem has almost dissipated and eyes are clear and normal sized again, the oxytetracycline treatment seems to work just nicely. I will continue treatment for a few days more just to be sure. The one discus (female) that had also started ‘head standing’ is also better now and appears to have regained her balance. She is the most voracious eater of the three.

All my three aquariums are 48 inches long by 18 inches breadth by 24 inches height, holding approx 85 gallons water each. The filtration system I have made on my own, it is a glass tray set atop the aquarium lid running the length of the aquarium. A submersible power head pump of capacity 1000 liters pumps water via a pipeline made of PVC into the tray set on top which has 3smaller partitions which are all filled with a mechanical filter media (sponge or iron wool), then the water goes into each of the biological filtration trays. The filtered water then falls into the aquarium via two nozzles which have been drilled into the filtration system from a height of about three inches thereby creating sufficient movement in the water. During winter I was using a heater for the tank which was set at 30 degree Celsius for the discus. Winter has receded now but the heater is now being used during their treatment only.

I usually change 25% of the water every fortnight but at times when I was busy I have changed 50% water once a month (but such occasions were rare). I feed my discus tetra (colour) bits, Hikari discus bio-gold, high-grade pellets, boiled (deshelled) peas which they eat happily and at times bloodworms. I also give them spirulina based flakes but frankly they do not seem to like it very much. Plus various other food.

The chichlids which I have are the Malawi Lake Mbuna variety and they are really fun to keep especially at feeding time when they will follow me around in the tank from one corner to the other anxiously waiting for their food and at times even jumping in the air. I have 18 of them in one tank.

I would like to take some time to explain how difficult it is to get quality fish/aquarium products in Karachi (or elsewhere in Pakistan for that matter) i.e. equipment, medication, accessories, fish food, etc. Whatever equipment is available is not of high quality and most times we have to make do with whatever is available. You may not believe it but the water testing kits are not available and maybe once in a blue moon some shop might have this in stock (but chances are it will have expired). So there is no way I can test the water for ammonia, nitrates, etc. Good medicine for treatment for fish diseases is also a problem and one cannot get items like what one can find in other countries (Quickcure, Maracyn, Melafix, etc, etc) but we make do with alternates. For example, I could not find Malachite green anywhere in Karachi. The ingredients that I keep on hand for use in case of an emergency are aquarium salt, Epsom salt, methylene blue, metronidazole, antibiotics like tetracycline, terramycin, etc. Even the discus that arrive in Karachi are not of the best quality but second grade or probably even third grade. The pictures of colourful and beautiful discus that can be seen on various websites and discus hatcheries are like a dream and are nowhere to be found in Karachi. Of course as elsewhere discus are costly depending on their size.

I think I have written a lot and as I do not want to bore anyone, I will take leave temporarily.

I will definitely try to post photos in my next post.

Many thanks for everyone's patience.
malsaq
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Re: Thanks

Postby Calcuttan » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:15 am

malsaq wrote:I would like to take some time to explain how difficult it is to get quality fish/aquarium products in Karachi (or elsewhere in Pakistan for that matter) i.e. equipment, medication, accessories, fish food, etc. Whatever equipment is available is not of high quality and most times we have to make do with whatever is available. You may not believe it but the water testing kits are not available and maybe once in a blue moon some shop might have this in stock (but chances are it will have expired). So there is no way I can test the water for ammonia, nitrates, etc. Good medicine for treatment for fish diseases is also a problem and one cannot get items like what one can find in other countries (Quickcure, Maracyn, Melafix, etc, etc) but we make do with alternates.

Welcome to the forum. It is nice to know that there is someone from Karachi (a city I have always wanted to visit personally for its markets) following a Calcutta forum. I can identify your problem described above. Anyone who has tried to keep fish or grow plants in India in the 70s and 80s or even the 90s will be able to identify with the picture you paint of the aquarium trade scene in Pakistan now. I guess the problem for you is a little more painful because thanks to the internet you can see all that is available in the world but get almost nothing. But anyway, one has to make do with whatever is available. I am sure most of us would be ready to send you basic things over by courier but given the current state of politics one might be in trouble if one sends things to Pakistan. Even personal phone calls to friends lead to problems from the security agencies.
However, most fish diseases can be treated with human medicines if you know the correct dosage. I think forums like these can help you with that. Particularly bacterial infections can be quite treated with antibiotics that are generally easily available off the counter in the subcontinent everywhere.
Please PM me for regular FREE clippings of HM, tripartita mini, AR mini and RR hi-red
Calcuttan
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby vikramdutta » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:31 am

use this link to import necessary items for your hobby.
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Fish- ... -2229.html
vikramdutta
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby chanda.subhasis » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:49 am

dear aslam warm welcome to KAC, we all can understand u r not in that status to continue your hobby at your locality due to unavailability of the items. But brother in our country also some of the places are such like this, so just do your hobby as good as possible from your heart then see all is well :) why don't you purchase all your needs from online store like....... lots are there.
stay well and keep updating us.
chanda.subhasis
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby SanamMarik » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:29 pm

Aslam bro, can you please check for the part if u have sponge or iron wool or its 'stainless' steel wool. if not stainless steel wool, please throw that away. it is/will react with water and i dont think that will b good for the fishes.
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Postby Tirtha » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:34 pm

Welcome to KAC Aslam. Nice to see another KACan across the border. You are not alone but Asim Khatri is another hobbyist from Pakistan who is here for a long time(Though not posting anything now a days :( ).
Regards,
Tirtha

A Bad Attitude is like a Flat Tyre. You cannot go anywhere until you change it.
Tirtha
Admin
Admin

Postby malsaq » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:49 pm

vikramdutta wrote:use this link to import necessary items for your hobby.
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Fish- ... -2229.html

Thanks for the tip. Will definitely look into it.
malsaq
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Next

Return to Introduction