Indian Native Fish Tank

Talk about Indian Fishy diversity
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Indian Native Fish Tank

Postby avik » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:57 am

Hi guys,
I have always thought of setting up the 5-2-2 tank in my Kolkata home with Indian flora and fauna, not exactly a biotope..but local compatible plants and fishes which can withstand high temp of Kolkata for few months every year (more than 32c) and which does not need live feeding. The tank presently holds 3 nicaraguensis cichlids only which will be removed soon. For filtration I have is a top filter (with floss) and Eheim 2217 (better medias are due). The lighting is supported by 2 led units (can not remember the spec correctly now) and a backup 18watt T8 tube. I would like to make it open top and would like to have few plants growing out of the water surface. The dominating flora I thought would be valisnaria, straight or spiral u guys suggest. I want to keep the front part open with some big roocks and a wavemaker directed towards the rocks.. I would like to keep the branchy driftwoods I already have in the tank.

For fauna, I initially planned for
bottom dweller: a group of 6 badis (spp. not decided yet and), few hillstream loaches, few whiptail catfishes..
mid and surface dweller: barbs/ Barelius.

I am trying to draw a rough image of the setup I planned. Basically, it is something like at one corner there will be bigger rocks, no driftwoods and the high flow for the hillstream loaches..that part will be under highlight to get good amount of green algae..no vals in that corner. The other corner will have all the plants and driftwoods and lesser flow for the whiptail catfish and badis (some caves will be there for them in terms of coconut shells). I would like to have 2-3 species of up/mid dwellers (depending on their size).

All sort of suggestions/ criticisms are welcome. Feel free to comment.

I am going home on 6th Feb for few days..will try to get the plants and set up done then..will need your help to collect the plants.
avik
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: Indian Native Fish Tank

Postby Sumit K Sen » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:01 am

If you ever need spiral val, let me know. I throw away tons every month :)
Sumit K Sen
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Tirtha » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:33 am

You dont live here and the tank is being maintain by your mother. Give her something colorful to look at.
Regards,
Tirtha

A Bad Attitude is like a Flat Tyre. You cannot go anywhere until you change it.
Tirtha
Admin
Admin

Postby avik » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:11 am

She was convinced with aurunti last month..so I think she will like colorful barbs. What is the present status of denisoni..they are pretty colorful. ;)

Sumitda, I would like to have some spiral val..will let you know. I am still not sure about my itinerary.
avik
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Sumit K Sen » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:10 am

avik wrote:She was convinced with aurunti last month..so I think she will like colorful barbs. What is the present status of denisoni..they are pretty colorful. ;)

Sumitda, I would like to have some spiral val..will let you know. I am still not sure about my itinerary.

All yours. I am away between 9/2 and 15/2, any other time is fine :)
Sumit K Sen
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Tirtha » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:14 pm

avik wrote:She was convinced with aurunti last month..so I think she will like colorful barbs. What is the present status of denisoni..they are pretty colorful. ;)

Denisoni available here but they are good till they reach 5". After that ugly.

Why native at the first place? Keep some good cichlids.
Regards,
Tirtha

A Bad Attitude is like a Flat Tyre. You cannot go anywhere until you change it.
Tirtha
Admin
Admin

Postby avik » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:31 pm

I was keeping cichlids from thevery first day..never kept barbs..want some change dada.

Guys..please help me fixing my mind and to get the plants and fishes.
avik
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Abhirup.mecho » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:01 am

Not just barbs but as medium sized schooling fish you can explore between barilius bakeri/canarensis,puntius filamentosus/fasciata/ticto/conchonius
As a mid dweller you can keep etroplus canarensis (would be interesting to keep a schooling cichlid right) and gagata cenia.
As bottom dwellers schismatogobius deraniyagalai,pangio kuhli,Canthophrys gongota...would have added aborichthys elongatus too but size woul be an issue.
Abhirup.mecho
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Abhirup.mecho » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:03 am

Honestly if it were me going for a community native tank, i would restrict myself to fishes within a few inches. Would have kept the system moderately planted and cramped with different species.
Abhirup.mecho
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby avik » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:39 am

Mecho, the tank is all yours after you switch to Kolkata.. until then decided to bring around 10 denisoni and add some plants. Before the next winter will add the hillstream loaches, and may be switch to Barelius. Your loach and goby list is tempting, what about their feeding? No live food, and no frozen worms either in the tank.
BTW, I have seen schools of red devils and oscars before. :)
avik
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Next

Return to Indian Native Fishes