Importance of Aquahobby

Talks about the hobby itself, the hobbyists, and acceptable topics not related to fish keeping
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Re: Importance of Aquahobby

Postby pulsarabhi » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:45 am

I am wondering if keeping a fish tank at home can be pitched as a potential prevention of diseases spread by mosquitoes. I have not seen this happen personally but if open fish tanks provide a breeding ground for mosquitoes, may be they'll not have the urge to breed again somewhere else. In addition, I doubt if mosquitoes are care-taking parents, so they don't really know or care if their larvae ever make it or become fish food, so they continue to breed at will, effectively controlling their population.

I know this sounds crazy but just some food for thought. Anything to inspire somebody to keep a fish tank :P
Last edited by pulsarabhi on Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pulsarabhi
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Postby abhirup » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:01 am

Interesting Topic..

Well I can think of some advantages/benefits of planted tanks (I think I have discussed it with you Avik Da)..
But this topic dragged me to the Google search engine...I came across an interesting article which honestly I was not aware of..have a look
http://www.indiatimes.com/health/health ... 41879.html
abhirup
Admin
Admin

Postby vikramdutta » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:22 am

That's a gr8 link Abhirup.
vikramdutta
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby rahul » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:44 pm

a good topic indeed.
First of all i tried not once but many a times to introduce some of my college friends into the hobby.
Let me tell you some of the problems.
First of all most of the people i found over there were bookworms.They grew up into adulthood on just two things to be honest----milk and books.
Apart from that ,some were exceptions who had some extracurriculars.And most amongst these were show off people who makes atleast some 3 trips per week to CC1 /mani square ,and all other bullshit places or even some 100 posts per day in facebook and stuff.We dont blame them but its the usual place to hangout for college folks now-a-days no matter how much cash goes in vain.
Now if you tell the first kind of people about keeping an aquarium,they will say '' Its beautiful.i wish to keep them after i am settled in life''.Infact trust me ,in this profession there is nothing called a settled life.They are idiots to think about that.For them that day will never come and they will continue with post-graduation,then post doctorate and then work for 7 days a week with just 6 hrs sleep thinking just about patients and money ending with with crores and crores of insurance only to see his wife and children enjoying life but not him.Whats the use of earning 4 crores when you cant spend 4 bucks??They wont be able to answer.Thats how dumb they are.
Now coming to the second kind of people ,i haves seen majority will keep it but for how long?thats the question .These people love to keep the aquarium as a showpiece with little care for fishes.
Now there are exceptions which crop up.And when it comes to our profession ,thats very few in number.

The thing i have learnt that MBBS course is definitely not 'sanyas' as many bookworms suggest.THE REALITY IS THAT IT EASED MY LIFE A BIT WHENEVER I FELT DEPRESSED.
Theres nothing like sitting in front of a nature aquarium .
Infact when i was in 3rd year i almost made up to suspend the hobby atleast for the final year.But my hobby grew and grew bigger in moments of crisis.And i also pulled off some tanks in internship year when i worked some 120 hrs per week.I think commitment has a big role.

Lets come to another fact. What most self- proclaimed super educated samples(who themselves have forgotten N2 cycle of class 7)think that the aquarium hobby is limited to uneducated rustic people. I have seen many of my professors say that.Even one or two came to know about that and gave some insulting comments .As usual these folks like to burn peoples 'jhaats'.This is the bloody attitude of some people in this profession.They may be able to pull off 10 surgeries a day but in real life i would call them 'lifeless losers'. I bet that if they are given retirement and free time and made access to the most reputed brands the world has ever seen,they will struggle to pull off a planted tank no matter how and how much they spend.

It all depends on peoples mentality,how they see human beings and other living things too.I think that to become an aquarium hobbyist you dont have to be super rich nor super educated(i am not reffering to degrees) but some logical common sense and basic sciences.That much will not just do great but commitment matters.They need to act upon pets as they see other humans.Otherwise they are themselves animals.
rahul

Postby mithun » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:54 pm

I guess i do aquahobby coz I love doing and making things! :-?
Mithun
M:8583865385
Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:If you want something done in a better way, do it yourself.

My 220Gal reef journal | My 150Gal reef journal
mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby avik » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:23 am

Rahul, calm down bro! :) Mithunda, my question is how to attract people into our hobby/convince them that aquahobby is such a great thing to do.

Another issue is why not many women are interested in this hobby? How to get that crowd! So two questions to be answered now.

I request more members to contribute in this thread, having some bigger plans.
avik
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby mr_feynman » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:36 pm

avik wrote:Vikramdutta, thanks a lot for sharing the story of ur son. I shall try to conduct the bp test myself sometime. :) Once I read a research article on how fishtank can act as stressbuster. Hopefully can find more such articles.

Sumitda, I can understand your point. We will arrange photos of all type of low maintenance tanks.

On the other hand, a dark almond leaf only tank has its own charm if u know why u want that type of tank, where u need a torch to see a pair of samurai gourami doing a mating dance or a male Paros snatching grindal worms from others. But ofcourse, as you said it's not a potentially good item to show to beginners.

Thanks all for sharing your views. Please continue !! :)

I believe, that's the reason a beginner can overlook a Walstad method tank but can barely ignore NA style of Amano! Entrepreneur like Amano envisioned this simple truth much earlier than any other guy!
mr_feynman
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby mr_feynman » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:22 pm

There may be N number of reasons to keep an aquarium, but I believe the most important one is to manage a time out to truly think of the world we live in, but not to think of the world we made, simply!
We all know which one is a pollutant, we all blame each other, we all curse natural calamities, we all curse growing unawareness, but still we practice the causal habits!
I don't claim that aquahobby can directly help overcoming that, on the contrary some activists can accuse the hobby too!
You come home after myriad issues of our financially driven society where still money matters much more than anything else! Who else thinks of to get up early in midnight to wait for a comet which only passes by each 75 years, who among us is very anxious about the tiger disappearing in sunderbans! We, the common people, think, that we need to awake up in the morning, need to go market to buy a fish for food, then will eat it and start heading for the job place! That's a heck of a routine to follow up whole day, tomorrow and the day after tomorrow!

This hobby, can take away you from this man made 'virtual' world which we call reality and day by day as you grow up as a true hobbyist you learn the lessons of nature in manifold manners! Still, you are not contributing, but now you are a changed person!
Next time when you see an old banyan tree in your office campus, I doubt you can overlook that and just pass by! Because, now you will be amused to see that tree, its aged trunks, labyrinth of complex root system, vigor of its leaves! You know it better how much pain you took to grow that in your glassbox!!! Now, whenever I see a small epiphyte is happily growing in creeks and crevices of bricks and mortar, I think of my anubias which struggle to throw in a new leaf in a whole month!!! I envy nature -- then I realize in the next moment how infinitesimal we are in front of nature!

I believe, I am able to justify my points to keep aquaria at home!
mr_feynman
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby ambooz » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:01 pm

Every School should have one aquarium .
ambooz
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby avik » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:12 am

Ambooz, I shall come back to your statement very soon.

The points are nicely expressed Mr. feynman. I request others to contribute to this thread.
avik
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

PreviousNext

Return to Fishy Lounge