Importance of Aquahobby

Talks about the hobby itself, the hobbyists, and acceptable topics not related to fish keeping
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Importance of Aquahobby

Postby avik » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:48 am

Want to spread fishy water on some colleagues, help me explain them why aquahobby is so Great, why we need a fishtank in our home, other than those Feng Sui things! Assume we are talking to someone who never kept molly in horlicks bottles. :)

Thanks in advance. :D
avik
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: Importance of Aquahobby

Postby pulsarabhi » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:35 am

I recently gave a talk in my organization, about fish keeping and the science associated and I started the session by saying "Having a fish tank is about having a small piece of nature at home" and I must say this perspective has been quite popular with my colleagues since then. Nowadays they ask me "how are your fish doing?" more often than "how are you doing?" :D

My stories apart, here are some points I would like to add:
- least maintenance pets IMO, with weekly water changes and monthly filter cleanup being the major tasks ,if at all.
- least foot print as far as space required is concerned
- cleanest pets to have, no stinking, no droppings
- free ferts rich water if you have a garden to care for
- no-noise pets (except if you have pumila's like I do :P)

Not sure if this is what you were looking for @avik da, but hope this helped.
pulsarabhi
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby avik » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:48 am

Thanks for the nice points Pulsarabhi, but then what if they ask why do we need a pet. Also it will be great if you can share something from your talk.
avik
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby pulsarabhi » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:21 am

That's a good question and a tough one to convince somebody on as well. I am a pet lover and my wife is the exact opposite, so much so that I have had little success in the past 3 years convincing her about having pets :cry:

But I feel if you can showcase the beauty of a fish tank in person, you may stand a better chance convincing somebody. Like they say, seeing is believing :) In my talk, I had to arrange a small bowl with 2 Goldie's in it to add some visual appeal and I also used loads of pictures from my tanks as part of the presentation. Not to mention, the Goldie's were then gifted to a colleague who already has an established Goldie tank.

One common deterrent I saw was about maintenance. People wanted to have a fish tank and were not ready to spend too much time fixing things. Obviously they had no idea about stuff like bio-filtration, nitrogen cycle, best stocking practices etc, so my talk addressed exactly these issues. Sadly, I think LFS's play a major although indirect role in misleading such beginners and shunning them away from this beautiful hobby for good :|
pulsarabhi
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby avik » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:07 am

Nice set of infos bro, so a live tank would be handy. LFS guys think about their business first.
avik
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby vikramdutta » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:19 am

It has been proved that watching fish swimming in an aquarium normals the BP. In an article I had read this, that in a doctor's chamber in America some people were measured the BP before watching the tank and after watching the fish tank for an hour when they were measured again, their BP was close to the normal.

The second which really worked with me is my son, (he is really a notorious fellow), before I brought the tank in my house he was very impatient in everything, but now after an year he has generated some patience, he watches the fish swim when he have nothing to do (Cartoons has been nearly replaced by the tank), he watches the plants grow and asks several questions regarding the plants and fish and tries to understand the science behind it, helps me in maintaining those. The most amazing part is that previously he was unable to study continuously for more than 45 min, now he has started to continue more than two hrs. I think this change has come because of the tank.

And Me, after a hard days work when I sit in front of the tank, something happens and I feel so relaxed looking at those happy fishes swimming happily whom I have grown from fries to fish.
Watching the idiot box has minimized in our 3 member family, sorry it is a 16 member family, (Me, my wife and our 14 babies :D :D ). I think this is one of the best part
vikramdutta
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby pulsarabhi » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:01 am

That's a very rewarding experience you have shared, cheers @vikram da!! I believe a fish tank would have had achieved a lot more than it was intended to, if it can effectively get people away from the television. Fish tank, if well maintained, is the most beautiful "reality TV" I would say :D:D
pulsarabhi
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby vikramdutta » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:14 am

pulsarabhi wrote:That's a very rewarding experience you have shared, cheers @vikram da!! I believe a fish tank would have had achieved a lot more than it was intended to, if it can effectively get people away from the television. Fish tank, if well maintained, is the most beautiful "reality TV" I would say :D:D

:D :D Very True Bro.
vikramdutta
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Sumit K Sen » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:18 am

In my opinion talking does not work. Show people a beautiful aquarium - that kindles interest and enquiry. Not a dark, almond leaf only tank - a tank with plants and a lot of colorful and happy fish. Push those who show interest to start the hobby in a small way. You can keep a small low-tech tank with limited maintenance as a showpiece. I spend 5 minutes a day on my 1 foot cube betta tank. My sister saw it and said that she wanted one just like that because it looked good and required low maintenance. That should trigger the hobby and some would move on and become gardeners in the long run :)
Sumit K Sen
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby avik » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:25 am

Vikramdutta, thanks a lot for sharing the story of ur son. I shall try to conduct the bp test myself sometime. :) Once I read a research article on how fishtank can act as stressbuster. Hopefully can find more such articles.

Sumitda, I can understand your point. We will arrange photos of all type of low maintenance tanks.

On the other hand, a dark almond leaf only tank has its own charm if u know why u want that type of tank, where u need a torch to see a pair of samurai gourami doing a mating dance or a male Paros snatching grindal worms from others. But ofcourse, as you said it's not a potentially good item to show to beginners.

Thanks all for sharing your views. Please continue !! :)
avik
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Next

Return to Fishy Lounge