My article in TFH (updated: with some excerpts)

Talks about the hobby itself, the hobbyists, and acceptable topics not related to fish keeping
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

My article in TFH (updated: with some excerpts)

Postby avik » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:37 am

This month's Tropical Fish Hobbyist magazine has featured a trip report of mine..in the rainforests of Sarawakian Borneo, looking for B. brownorum and B. taeniata. I shall upload the unpublished photos of the trip here. There were few incidents like eating bamboo rice with Vidayu tribal people which has been edited. I 've couple of videos too which can better describe the location of the brownorum. Let me find them out.
tfh.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by avik on Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
avik
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: My article in TFH

Postby Sumit K Sen » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:47 am

Would love to read it.
Sumit K Sen
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby mr_feynman » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:43 pm

Great! :)
But could not read it! It is subscription based... not free mag! :(
mr_feynman
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Tirtha » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:21 pm

Proud of you my boy :-bd \m/
Regards,
Tirtha

A Bad Attitude is like a Flat Tyre. You cannot go anywhere until you change it.
Tirtha
Admin
Admin

Postby Abhirup.mecho » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:27 am

Donno bt I had access to all the pages. Really well written. Takes you on a journey of sorts.
Abhirup.mecho
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby mr_feynman » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:16 am

Abhirup.mecho wrote:Donno bt I had access to all the pages. Really well written. Takes you on a journey of sorts.

will try again...
mr_feynman
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby avik » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:07 am

I can not share the whole article here as I signed the copyright agreement..asked the publisher if I can share the screenshots of the mag. Till then some excerpts, hope they wont mind:

Contrary to a popular belief that all anabantoids are bubble nesters, B. ibanorum and B. taeniata are mouthbrooders. It is justified because these fishes mostly live in fast flowing water where it is very difficult to build and maintain the bubble nest. B. brownorum, on the other hand are termed “switch hitters”, they build bubblenest and often mouthbrood as the situation arises..

3 main species of betta are found near Kuching; B. brownorum, B. ibanorum and B. taeniata. Brownorum is peat swamp inhabitant whereas taeniata prefers fast flowing freshwater streams. B. ibanorum has been caught from both peat swamps and freshwater waterfalls. This fish got its name from the local Iban tribe of Sarawak. Presence of taeniata in tannin rich water has also been recorded.

Our first catch was some Puntius sealei, Rasbora borapatensis and Rasbora sarawakensis, abundant in those pools. Swee brought some worms and he was trying to lure the taeniata. Steven and me were looking around the corners. Johnson and Chung were collecting the Bucephalandra growing immersed on the rocks, while Ong went inside the forest in search for Orchids and reptiles. After few hours of trying, we only managed to catch Nemacheilus saravacensis, halfbeaks Dermogenys pusilla and few shrimps. We saw a group of big barbs and a particular barb whose lower body looked orangish, but they were too fast to catch. I caught a glimpse of an eel, perhaps Macrognathus maculatus but it hid inside the rocks.

suddenly shouted “Sucker! Sucker!” and pointed his finger to a submerged rock. And all of us pounced upon instantly to find the beautiful tiny Borneo sucker grazing on algae

We could feel literally hundreds of flying fox swimming through our feet, if only these were in our to-catch list

Eating Bamboo Rice with the Vidayu Tribe
As we hiked back to our cars we saw some native people, cooking rice inside bamboo. We were told that they had some ceremony that day, and this was the rituals special food. They offered us few sticks, so generous of them. The rice was sticky type, we had to peel the skin of bamboo to eat the rice inside, somewhat like how we eat a banana. This is prepared by putting rice grains inside hollow bamboo trunk covering the openings with leaves then putting the assortment near a fire, thereby slowly cooking the rice and incorporating an array of exotic essences and flavors . This felt heavenly to our empty stomachs after the long arduous day; we thanked them repeatedly before leaving the place.

and we understood these fishes were everywhere on the wet path we just crossed.

I was inspecting the canal; it looked like some tiny red fishes were swimming inside the deep brown water. I promptly took out the net and the scoop produced few Paedocypris species, world’s smallest freshwater fish yet discovered. Sarawak continued to amaze us.

As I draft the last few lines of this article one of the male is mouthbrooding. Hopefully we can release back some of the brood back to its natural habitat. Long live the brown beauty of Matang.
avik
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Re: My article in TFH (updated: with some excerpts)

Postby suvrajit » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:16 pm

@ Avik
I have read it,
Nice write up
we are proud to be your co-member in this forum
keep up the good Job!
Suvrajit
Fishaholic
suvrajit
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby avik » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:19 am

Thanks Suvrajit.
avik
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby avik » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:15 am

So finally uploaded some of the unpublished photos from the trip:
The first location, a small stream, a smaller waterfalls..but could not catch taeniata.
The second location where we were attacked by a pack of firefox :)
The kind hearted local tribes who fed us, can never forget the taste of that rice. Since morning we were hiking, and looking for fishes everywhere in that area..the nearest shop was few kms away.
Betta brownorum habitat:
avik
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Return to Fishy Lounge