Showcasing Hardscaping Steps

Talks about the hobby itself, the hobbyists, and acceptable topics not related to fish keeping
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Re: Showcasing Hardscaping Steps

Postby Sumit K Sen » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:38 pm

Calcuttan wrote:Very nice tutorial. Please tell me something about driftwood. I want it to sit in the tank in a particular orientation. But when I put it in the tumbler for soaking/seasoning, it is constatnly changing its orientation from the way I want it to be and deciding on its own orientation. Is it because it is not fully soaked yet? Or is it always like that and I have to do something like sink it substantially in the substrate and then flood with water ? Can you throw some light on this please? I think what I have is called spiderwood.

Do wait for Parthapratim's views. My own opinion is that it is not fully soaked yet. You can accelerate the soaking by boiling it if feasible. But if not possible, then nothing like placing a large stone on top which you can remove after a month or so. If it is wood that will sink, a month is a long time for that to happen. My mopani took a week (you can see the stone in the image that I put up. It is gone now, work done :) )
Good luck!
Sumit K Sen
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Postby parthapratim22 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:16 pm

I generally drill hole on the wood towards the bottom tie a bigger rock(enough to sink the wood)
You can use zip tie to do that
Black color zip tie hides with the color of wood.

I let the maturing process inside the tank only without adding any live. After I see tannin reduces significantly or no tannin I add plants and fishes.

Boiling with salt is also traditional process, but these big size woods generally tough do boiling.

Hope this works.

Any further query let me know.

Thank you for liking.
Frogfoot ADnS, enquiry call 9953551924
https://www.facebook.com/frogfootaquariumdesigns
parthapratim22
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Calcuttan » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:39 pm

It certainly helps. Boiling is not feasible for me, given the size of the wood. In our modern kitchen the thing called "dekchi" of yesteryears has gone missing :) I would have loved to soak it in my tank. The only problem - my tank is still not made and I have quite bought the wood for it !!! It's like buying the riding crop ahead of the horse. :)
Please PM me for regular FREE clippings of HM, tripartita mini, AR mini and RR hi-red
Calcuttan
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby parthapratim22 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:35 pm

Another design 142cm
Frogfoot ADnS, enquiry call 9953551924
https://www.facebook.com/frogfootaquariumdesigns
parthapratim22
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Previous