Trip to Amtala

Talks about the hobby itself, the hobbyists, and acceptable topics not related to fish keeping
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Trip to Amtala

Postby Aveek » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:52 am

Last Saturday myself and @Arnab had been to Amtala in search of fish \ breeders \ fishy outing ;-p and here are the updates....

Exact Location :- The exact stop is Bishnupur ( before Amtala and near Bishnupur Police station) near abt 35km by car from Ultadanga. Area name is Ghora Para - Udairampur.

Description of the Place :- It's mostly a semi village area with lots of small ponds all around. 80-85% of the population do depend on ornamental fish breeding for their lively hood. People do have a stretch of land attached to their house wherein they have constructed concrete tanks for fish breeding.They do use easily available local pond water and the tanks are full of algae having a thick green bed at the bottom. Even the ponds are also being used to breed fish.

Stock Available :- Any native stock that you do see in your LFS. Here is the list of stock we did see

1. Mollies (most of the varieties were available out of which the majority was red and black)
2. Bettas - Being bred by almost every one. 95% of the houses we did enquire did atleast have a variety of bettas if not any other species.Once the babies are born and do grow up to a considerable size, they are separated out and kept in water jars (filled with pond water).Once they attain the proper size, are sold to the market.
3. Gold Fish - There was a variety of sizes available (did notice few Orandas too)
4. Carp
5. Tiger Shark, Red tail, albino e.t.c.
6. Mudskipper
7. Puffer
6. Oscar (was available with only one person and the stock was also very less)
7. Tiger Barb
8. Widow Tetra
9. Guppi (Price being asked was Rs.300 for 100 pieces)
10. Angels (One person was dealing only with angels but was not ready to sell)
10. Cichlids
a. Kenyi (was available with only one person @Rs.10 per peice - 1.5 inch in size)
b. Ice Blue

There was no good variety of cichlid available we did enquire each and every person we met on our way ;-p...Did cover a distance of appox 5km in total in search of cichlids......;-p

as per few of the breeders, this being winter season they are not dealing with cichlids to that extent. We were asked to contact them after mid Feb for cichlids AKA Chicklets ;-p .Few of them do deal with cichlids like Kenyi, Ice Blue, Powder Blue, Jewels, Auratus.

A Bit About the Breeders :- People here are either individual breeders or distributors. We did visit 3-4 distributors who do not breed themselves but do collect the stock form individual breeders. We did visit the place on saturday and did see lot of individual breeders queuing up in front of the distributors home to sell \ hand over their stock which they have bred in their pond ( e.g. we did ask a person and did see he was carrying 50 red tails, there was another guy with gold fish and tiger barbs)

Attitude of the People:- I would say it was a mixed experience though over all it was good.

1. Few were not at all ready to entertain us and did directly say "We will not sell".
2. Few did greet us cordially once we approached them and said that we do want to see their stock.
3. Few did ask for unnecessary expensive rates to discourage us from buying looked like they more interested in bulk sales.
4. Few did even help us by showing the way to the breeder's place.

Best Time to Visit :- As per our experience, Saturday is the best time since that's the day when they get their stocks ready to be sold in Sunday's market in Galiff. Distributors place will be full of variety during Saturday second half. And Saturday first half will be the best time to get in touch with the individual breeders since that's the time they take out the stock form the pond to be handed over to the distributors but for this you need to know who breeds what else your time will be wasted in searching.

General Suggestion :- Do not expect to get any good variety.You will mostly get the commonly available variety. Looked like they are more interested in breeding what the market demands most. Variety will be available with the distributors (Saturday second half) but they ask for a higher price in comparison to the individual breeders...(same old theory of middle man business).....

I do have taken the contact of few of the breeders \ distributors... if any one wants, please do pm me.
Aveek
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: Trip to Amtala

Postby soumadip » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:59 am

what kind of pufers were available??
winter isnt appropriate time to visit this places as they generally dont keep any stock due to heating expenditure
My dragon breeding project
ImageImage
soumadip
Dedicated KAC Member
Dedicated KAC Member

Postby Sunny » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:08 am

what kind of puffers and mudskippers are available ?
If people take anything from my music, it should be motivation to know that anything is possible as long as you keep working at it and don't back down.
<Eminem>

The best way to guarantee a loss is to quit.
<Morgan Freeman>
Sunny
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby arnab » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:06 am

Chinese puffers bro. And local mudskippers, from ganges i believe. I am not an expert on their classifications
arnab

Postby Aveek » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:32 am

soumadip wrote:what kind of pufers were available??
winter isnt appropriate time to visit this places as they generally dont keep any stock due to heating expenditure

Might be ....even we did not see any heating equipment......

but based on our conversation with them, I do not think there is something more to expect during summers... they did directly say that this is the stock which they do generally keep.... might be + - 5-6 types more....
Aveek
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Sunny » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:56 am

Were the mudskippers big or small ?
I mean can you acquaint with the approximate size.. this might be a good lead for the skipper fans out here....
If people take anything from my music, it should be motivation to know that anything is possible as long as you keep working at it and don't back down.
<Eminem>

<Morgan Freeman>
Sunny
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Aveek » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:44 am

appox 5-6 inch was available.....
Aveek
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Aveek » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:47 am

I do have the contact no of the breeder who was having the mud skippers....do pm me if you want
Aveek
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Sunny » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:57 am

Yes I do want the contact number of the seller if you have...
^_^
<Eminem>

<Morgan Freeman>
Sunny
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby harishankar » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:06 am

Plz share some photos :smile:
My 40 Gallon Planted Tank - http://www.kolkata-aquarium.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4613
Don't Care about money while you enter into a hobby
harishankar
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Next

Return to Fishy Lounge