Status Updates of KACians

Talks about the hobby itself, the hobbyists, and acceptable topics not related to fish keeping
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Re: Status Updates of KACians

Postby avik » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:35 am

Returned to Malaysia yesterday after 20 days, saw my 4 Stiphodons happy in their (almost) self-sustaining tank..first thing I did was a 50% wc, while wife kept on shouting at me. :P The Betta and Paros are still with a hobbyist friend, will set up their tanks and get back the live stocks this weekend.
avik
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Postby Sumit K Sen » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:21 am

xarg0n wrote:Have you observed which algae are on their hit list ?

I am not very skilled at algae ID, so treat that as a Disclaimer :D. But I have seen them feeding on Green Dust Algae, Brown Algae and Beard Algae.They do not feed on Hair Algae. They are forever pecking on the glass, so GDA seems to be favoured :)
BTW, I keep the back glass uncleaned. An old habit :)
Sumit K Sen
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby avik » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:32 pm

All my fishes in their respective homes after an evening of acclimatization. :D
I always believe that the first few hours in a new environment is very challenging, so night time is a better option to shift your fishes imo.
avik
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby rahul » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:45 pm

finally its december in kolkata and it seems as if we are in december.
day before yesterday temperatures dropped to 18 and so removed fans for the first time in 11 months
rahul

Postby Sumit K Sen » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:34 am

Picked up a baby Ember Tetra and a baby Daisy's Ricefish from the mini tank today. The ember fingerling is smaller and weaker than the Daisy's. I don't have hopes of raising them because I do not have a heated raising bucket. But I can try in summer now that I know that the embers will breed in the tank :)
Incidentally, the ricefish is 2nd generation :)
Sumit K Sen
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby avik » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:34 am

Great.. u can make one breeding box with nets and chopsticks or some other things, and hang it in the main tank. The problem is how to feed the fry?
avik
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Sumit K Sen » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:45 am

avik wrote:Great.. u can make one breeding box with nets and chopsticks or some other things, and hang it in the main tank. The problem is how to feed the fry?

You have seen the tank Avik. It is too small to add anything :) I have some plans to expand the hobby. The only space that is mine is the 'chile-kothar ghor' . That is being fixed now. I plan to fill it with tanks :D I can then safely move the pair and raise fry.
Feeding half a dozen fry is not a problem. If there is enough water with lots of discarded plants and rotting leaves there is generally enough food to feed them over the 1st stage naturally. At the 2nd stage I usually start them off with egg yolk and move them to pellets/flakes dissolved in water. Then it is micro pellets. It is hit and miss, but painless -and you will always get a few survivors. As trading is not an option, a few survivors is useful and a source of happiness :)
Sumit K Sen
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby avik » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:33 am

Will be looking forward for your fishroom..but chilekotha=> high temp!!
avik
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Sumit K Sen » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:03 pm

avik wrote:Will be looking forward for your fishroom..but chilekotha=> high temp!!

You are right of course, but beggars can't be choosers :D Am taking some small steps to moderate the temperature. Good thing is that it is airy, so the heat will not build up.
Sumit K Sen
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby SanamMarik » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:39 pm

I am a bit late to say this but bttr late than never. So I take the opportunity to thanks everyone of the team here to help me and encourage me. Also I am sharing my experience in the planted hobby for last two years in brief. 29 Dec is a spcl day to me, 2years back in Dec 29, 2013 I setup my 1st planted tank.... :x :x now after two years I feel very thankful to the whole team for their overwhelming support and guiding and correcting me in every possible way. Also I would say that these two years have been the most awesome time so far in my life...neither school days/college days or Job has been this rewarding in my life...I am loving it.... :D :D :D
this was the 1st tank I setup that too w/o proper lights and ferts or co2 for 3days after the inauguration. In those initial three days I used table lamps to provide them lights... :| . Added sugar yeast CO2 after 2months... look at my noobness with my filter positioning... =)) =)) =)) =))
29 Dec 2013
and together with me, my 1st planted tank completed its 2yrs hand in hand. :x :x

after around 5months...1st lesson on diy substrate uprooting...and the algal growth :D I did lose all hopes from the tank and thought to start over again...bt then I continued with the setup in hand...the condition of tank in the below pic stayed like dat for 2 long months :|

And then came the 1st redemption in a month's time-

2nd Redemption after another 6months 25 Dec 2014
IMG_0107.JPG

3rd Redemption - Sept 2015

And now after two years in the Planted hobby a new and bigger tank-- (this pic is already there but show putting it here for comparison.... :)
24 Dec 2015

I dont know if I am learnig it slow or fast but if I am slow...kindly be patient with me...I will get there where u want me to be....just keep blessing me...may be a little delayed, but I surely will someday
Thank you all!! ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Fishy Lounge