DIY 3D background

Time to build something new
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Re: DIY 3D background

Postby bappa » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:38 am

love it ... i wll try it
Thanks
BAPPA....

Math. The only place where people buy 60 watermelons and no one wonders why....:)
bappa
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Postby aquamans » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:06 pm

You guys sure are hell lot of creative.
aquamans

Postby mithun1981 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:24 am

For epoxy what u use 'araldite'? Please describe that part.
mithun1981
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby raj_81 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:01 pm

Yes I have used araldite 180g pack.. Mixed the 2 tubes well in a small bowl with help of small paint brush which we use for water colors, I aplied at the backside... I think I took around 30 to 50 grams to aply.. I will use remaining in my upcoming sandfall (waiting for good design to come up in my mind, you are welcome for providing any ideas).
raj_81
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby raj_81 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:08 pm

Thanks to all for your comments.. Those who are interested to do this DIY, its very easy than what you think.. You just need the "will to see the BG in your aquarium" and ability to spend 20 hours(2 to 4hrs each day for 4 days) apart from collecting required items...

To create this BG you don't need much creativity... Just need the will and patience..

Good luck..
raj_81
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby raj_81 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:09 pm

mithun1981 wrote:For epoxy what u use 'araldite'? Please describe that part.

Yes I have used araldite 180g pack.. Mixed the 2 tubes well in a small bowl with help of small paint brush which we use for water colors, I aplied at the backside... I think I took around 30 to 50 grams to aply.. I will use remaining in my upcoming sandfall (waiting for good design to come up in my mind, you are welcome for providing any ideas).
raj_81
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby raj_81 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:15 pm

mithun1981 wrote:For epoxy what u use 'araldite'? Please describe that part.

I forgot to mention, I got the epoxy in paintshop, (I couldn't find the matte finish epoxy in Chennai, which is referee somewhere in this forum)

Its 90g pack - box price 170 but the wholesale paintshop guy gave it for 140₹
I think it would be 30grams used...

Let me know if you need any other missing info...

Note: Its better to wash sand before mixing with cement twice to remove any insect eggs if it had...
raj_81
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby ajinkyajin » Fri May 13, 2016 7:53 pm

I am going to make a 3d background for my new tank.Will the standard thermocol sheet work?Also where is araldite resin used,on the front or back of the background i.e to coat the cement at front or to stick the background to the glass?Also should i fully coat the thermocol sheet with cement-front and back?
ajinkyajin
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby raj_81 » Wed May 25, 2016 12:17 pm

ajinkyajin wrote:I am going to make a 3d background for my new tank.Will the standard thermocol sheet work?Also where is araldite resin used,on the front or back of the background i.e to coat the cement at front or to stick the background to the glass?Also should i fully coat the thermocol sheet with cement-front and back?

Hi sorry for the delayed reply..
Yes you can use standard thermocol but make sure it's 1 inch size so that it better holds... Or will not break when you try to lift after first coat.
Araldite resin can be used on all sides.. In my case i applied only on sides and backside.. To ensure to avoid the water contact directly on thermocol..
For cement apply only on front end, make sure there is no excess part on sides or else you might end up to see unable to fit inside..
To stick the 3D background you have to use silicone...

I would be happy to answer if you have any further doubts in this DIY.. Wish you all the best... And eager to see your final output.
raj_81
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby ajinkyajin » Fri May 27, 2016 11:35 am

raj_81 wrote:
ajinkyajin wrote:I am going to make a 3d background for my new tank.Will the standard thermocol sheet work?Also where is araldite resin used,on the front or back of the background i.e to coat the cement at front or to stick the background to the glass?Also should i fully coat the thermocol sheet with cement-front and back?

Hi sorry for the delayed reply..
Yes you can use standard thermocol but make sure it's 1 inch size so that it better holds... Or will not break when you try to lift after first coat.
Araldite resin can be used on all sides.. In my case i applied only on sides and backside.. To ensure to avoid the water contact directly on thermocol..
For cement apply only on front end, make sure there is no excess part on sides or else you might end up to see unable to fit inside..
To stick the 3D background you have to use silicone...

I would be happy to answer if you have any further doubts in this DIY.. Wish you all the best... And eager to see your final output.

Thanks for d reply bro,my background is complete with all the coats of cement applied,will apply araldite on the backside of bg.
What can I use as a thinner for araldite?Will painter thinner do the trick?Also does painter thinner react with thermocol?

Here's my background:
ajinkyajin
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Projects