Programmable timer circuit

Time to build something new
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Programmable timer circuit

Postby bibaswan » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:20 am

bibaswan
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: Programmable timer circuit

Postby mithun » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:08 pm

Bibaswan .. Openning a thread with just a single link and no text is not allowed.. Please provide details as to why and what you are posting this! else it will be deleted!
Mithun
M:8583865385
Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:If you want something done in a better way, do it yourself.

My 220Gal reef journal | My 150Gal reef journal
mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Calcuttan » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:42 am

I shall be very keen to get some hands on help from someone to make a timer for a 150 watt metal halide that I have. I am completely useless in the field of DIY with anything. For example, the linked article is worse than Hebrew to me.

I was told that I need to connect the MH ballast to a contactor and then the contactor to the timer. Otherwise the timers wouldn't last for long. I asked the office electrician who is otherwise pretty capable and competent. He has no clue how to connect these. So I guess it is a little more complicated than just plug and play. Any help will be appreciated.

Edit/Clarification: I want to clarify that I do not want to make the timer or the contactor per se. I just want to be able to connect the ballast with the contactor and then the contactor with the timer.
Please PM me for regular FREE clippings of HM, tripartita mini, AR mini and RR hi-red
Calcuttan
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby kumar » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:36 am

Calcuttan wrote:I shall be very keen to get some hands on help from someone to make a timer for a 150 watt metal halide that I have. I am completely useless in the field of DIY with anything. For example, the linked article is worse than Hebrew to me.

I was told that I need to connect the MH ballast to a contactor and then the contactor to the timer. Otherwise the timers wouldn't last for long. I asked the office electrician who is otherwise pretty capable and competent. He has no clue how to connect these. So I guess it is a little more complicated than just plug and play. Any help will be appreciated.

Edit/Clarification: I want to clarify that I do not want to make the timer or the contactor per se. I just want to be able to connect the ballast with the contactor and then the contactor with the timer.

try ebay.in for frontier timer. You ll get them with switch box too.

You use a MH? wow! /:) thats rare these days, apart from guy above you.
You get a contactor and the timer, and post the pictures, we ll help you out with connections which can be made by any electrician.
i luv fish + u luv fis=we luv wish

rahul wrote:It should not be like today planted ,tomorrow cichlid,day after tomorrow blackwater, next community, then marine ,then business and end up dying useless. Whatever you do do it well
kumar
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Calcuttan » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:26 pm

kumar wrote:You use a MH? wow! /:) thats rare these days, apart from guy above you.
You get a contactor and the timer, and post the pictures, we ll help you out with connections which can be made by any electrician.

Thanks.

The MH is from another era, another time, another life :-) I had last used it about 8/9 years ago and then packed everything up (I think at a subconscious level it was linked to my father's cerebral attack > going vegetable for several months leading to eventual death). After my recent come back to the hobby (I still feel like Rip van Winkle) I put the plug into the socket and it kicked back to life and started to glow up. I cannot explain the joy I felt as it gradually started getting brighter. I felt a similar joy when I kicked my old Bullet to start after leaving it idle for about 4 years :-)

It was a mini adventure in those days to find out the source for the right material and then assemble the whole thing. It took weeks. I am keeping it as a back up for my current lighting set up which is shoddy Chinese and can give way any moment. It is pointless wasting so much money in today's world to operate the MH on a regular basis. However, if I could get a timer for it, I might find some other use for it.

Regarding the second part of your answer above, I have no idea what kind of contactor to get. I checked a website called Tolexo and they have various types of contactors. I felt quite confused. Could you please throw some "light" on it ;-) ? I don't want to take chances with electrical equipment and switches etc. Something going wrong can be disastrous for the entire house.
Please PM me for regular FREE clippings of HM, tripartita mini, AR mini and RR hi-red
Calcuttan
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby mithun » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:56 pm

Calcuttan wrote:I was told that I need to connect the MH ballast to a contactor and then the contactor to the timer. Otherwise the timers wouldn't last for long.

You are told the right thing... A MH ballast sends out nasty voltage surges back(during turning ON) to the connected circuits that can screw up almost any un-isolated circuit.. I think your best bet is to get an opto-isolated relay circuit and turn the relay on/off using a timer.
Mithun
M:8583865385
Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:If you want something done in a better way, do it yourself.

My 220Gal reef journal | My 150Gal reef journal
mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to DIY Projects