How do you store your DIY trace mixes?

Time to build something new
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

How do you store your DIY trace mixes?

Postby mithun » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:23 pm

Hi guys,

Its a often ignored topic.. But a very important one.. Most trace mixes we can buy are photo sensitive. Its always written on the package that store in cool and dark place.. But most of us store them in normal coke bottles after mixing in water not having a proper setup to store it.. what we dont realize is that the mix loses its potency almost 90% in less than 1 month of storage, specially EDTA/chillated mixes.. So share with us what is your storage method if possible with a picture of the setup!
Mithun
M:8583865385
Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:If you want something done in a better way, do it yourself.

My 220Gal reef journal | My 150Gal reef journal
mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: How do you store your DIY trace mixes?

Postby SanamMarik » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:33 pm

i have some of my setups 4"-5" above floor. i slide the bottles underneath...another thing that I do is, using black polythene bags.i put the bottle inside a bag and thn slide in under the rack. 1 thing to note is-getting thick polythene bags... :)
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Postby Tirtha » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:42 pm

Mithun... you know my approach. I will wait to see how others dose micro. Will reply at the end :D
Regards,
Tirtha

A Bad Attitude is like a Flat Tyre. You cannot go anywhere until you change it.
Tirtha
Admin
Admin

Postby mithun » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:52 pm

This is what I do,..

you need an aerosol black paint (costs 80-100 bucks, lasts forever)

a two litre coke bottle.. spray paint it as thick as you like.. (its fun to spray paint :D).. u can also try an art work.. :P

it dries in less than 15mins and here is the finished product.. light proof..

last is to label the bottle.. it also stops people from taking a gulp thinking its water(happened to me a lot of times :D)

i advise this paint coz water based paint wont stick to plastic and avoid brush paints coz it gets messy and takes forever to dry
Mithun
M:8583865385
Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:If you want something done in a better way, do it yourself.

My 220Gal reef journal | My 150Gal reef journal
mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby kumar » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:22 pm

Tirtha wrote:Mithun... you know my approach. I will wait how others dose micro. Will reply at the end :D

we know you are lazy to mix in water, so you must be dosing dry ;))
i luv fish + u luv fis=we luv wish

rahul wrote:It should not be like today planted ,tomorrow cichlid,day after tomorrow blackwater, next community, then marine ,then business and end up dying useless. Whatever you do do it well
kumar
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Tirtha » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:13 pm

kumar wrote:
Tirtha wrote:Mithun... you know my approach. I will wait how others dose micro. Will reply at the end :D

we know you are lazy to mix in water, so you must be dosing dry ;))

I follow tripple dip method. Lil too technical. Will post step by step with pictures tonight.
Regards,
Tirtha

A Bad Attitude is like a Flat Tyre. You cannot go anywhere until you change it.
Tirtha
Admin
Admin

Postby rahul » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:50 pm

i have seen that these trace mixes need to be provided with some an antimicrobial or antifungal kind of thing as after months usage i have found some slimy or moldy developing at the bottom.some also use glut or excel to aviod that.
i stored it in a dark brown bottle and in a dark place.
afetrall these are all agricultural chemicals and the packets were designed to be used for short time.who would have thought this to be used for aquariums and that too for 1-2 years. =))
rahul

Postby xarg0n » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:16 am

For now I am using dry only..will figure something out before setting up auto dosing. I have a plan to use black acrylic to build multiple chambers together, this saves room. Round bottles
waste a lot of space.
Thanks & Regards..

Sourav...

"If you want to do something in a better way, do it yourself !" --Nepoleon Bonaparte
xarg0n
Dedicated KAC Member
Dedicated KAC Member

Postby kumar » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:58 am

xarg0n wrote:For now I am using dry only..will figure something out before setting up auto dosing. I have a plan to use black acrylic to build multiple chambers together, this saves room. Round bottles
waste a lot of space.

Just reminds me of below Image
xarg0n wrote:I know ..we can always make somthing by doing DIY..but its aways not worth the effort.

why not use a square bottle? :p or may be make stuff out of glass and spray paint like Mithun da.
I plan to build one soon(been saying from 1yr :| but couldnt give a time)
i luv fish + u luv fis=we luv wish

rahul wrote:It should not be like today planted ,tomorrow cichlid,day after tomorrow blackwater, next community, then marine ,then business and end up dying useless. Whatever you do do it well
kumar
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby xarg0n » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:34 pm

Haha I know..but crafting an acrylic box for me works better, you can say an hour long project after all the sheets are cut upto right dimensions.
finding 4 square bottles sounds more tricky to me and may eat up a whole weekend. In the shopping hubs like big bazzar or spensors , they keep such square fancy bottles
but they are too expensive to use for such project. last year I purchased 3, 2.5 liter cylindrical water tight, food grade jars to DIY 3 small canisters, but they looked attractive
and my mom kinda snatched them from me ... since then my DIY canister file got archived :-l
Thanks & Regards..

Sourav...

"If you want to do something in a better way, do it yourself !" --Nepoleon Bonaparte
xarg0n
Dedicated KAC Member
Dedicated KAC Member

Next

Return to DIY Projects