DIY Algae Turf Scrubber (ATS)(Marine)

Time to build something new
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Re: DIY Algae Turf Scrubber (ATS)(Marine)

Postby xarg0n » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:46 pm

Yes ..very much
Thanks & Regards..

Sourav...

"If you want to do something in a better way, do it yourself !" --Nepoleon Bonaparte
xarg0n
Dedicated KAC Member
Dedicated KAC Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Postby indracalcutta93 » Mon May 02, 2016 8:50 am

Dear Xarg0n,

I am just a new member in this forum and going to start a SW system. I am in the FW since ten years. Now for the coming saltwater system I am in a dilemma, should I build a sump with ATS or only ATS ? My system will be as follows : Main tank 84'' (L) X 22'' ( B) X 24'' ( H) with live rocks and Sump 36''x 12''x 16'' with Protein Skimmer ? and live rocks. My Fishy friends will be some Clowns and Tangs with Cleaner Crews at the beginning. Later I would like to have few angels and available Corals.
Now the questions are : How is your ATS working ? If working, is it handling the filtration process alone ? or co working with sump.

Kindly reply

Thanks
Indra
indracalcutta93
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby Murtazadhanera » Sun May 22, 2016 7:24 am

Duplicate post...
Last edited by Murtazadhanera on Sun May 22, 2016 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Murtazadhanera
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby Murtazadhanera » Sun May 22, 2016 7:28 am

Skimmer is the most important component of marine aquaria. If one says he can't afford a 10 or 14 k skimmer IMO he can't have a successful and content hobby. Skimmer is considered mechanical filtration component it removes all the waste before it break downs to ammonia hence reducing the load of nitrogen cycle. There is no one singular component in any aquarium which can function all the aspects of nitrogen cycle or needs. In order to be successful at the hobby think of it as a whole system rather then components. What works for one of my tank or yours can't be beneficial to other systems or simply won't work on others. Every system is unique. Hence understanding basics of filtration and planning out thoroughly is the first step to success.

Get or build proper sump. Prefilter, skimmer, bio-media, ATS (optional), return, respectively. ATS is not as easy as it may seem. You need to research more.
Cleaning crew would not go well initially. Put them once your tank matures, angles and corals don't go well.
Don't think about corals or simply avoid them for now. Go for a fishless cycle, research more about it. Don't throw in clowns or tangs.

Hope that helps.
Good luck
Murtazadhanera
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby indracalcutta93 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:41 pm

Thank you Murtazadhanera , I will keep these in mind. Actually when searching in different forums ,in some places I am getting conflicting opinions , some one is telling
ATS alone will do, some one advices for only water changes and skimmer. Its a bit conflicting. My searches are on and I am also getting lots of essential knowledge and insights . My set up are on the way of this valuable inputs, Thanks a lot you guides.
indracalcutta93
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Previous

Return to DIY Projects