DIY Acrylic/Glass Aquarium

Time to build something new
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Re: DIY Acrylic/Glass Aquarium

Postby mithun » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:40 pm

first of all, there is nothing called "ADA style" tank as they did not invent it to start with.. braceless tanks have been there since eternity.. and buroda made tanks are no less beautiful than the so called "ADA style tanks".. the difference occurs in only glass quality.. ADA uses low iron glasses which has blackish tint rather than the cheaper glasses which have greenish tint. This makes the tank look more aesthetic.. u can use the same glass to make similar looking tank.. but price-wise ADA tanks are day-light robbery!

My 6 feeter has bracing only on the rims.. no middle bracings to divide the tank lengthwise or breadthwise at all.. 4" bracings of same 12mm glass have been used to cover the perimeter to stop any kind of bending. And its been faring rocksolid till now! additionally similar perimeter bracing is applied at the inside-bottom of the tank as well.
Mithun
M:8583865385
Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:If you want something done in a better way, do it yourself.

My 220Gal reef journal | My 150Gal reef journal
mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Postby Subroto » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:22 pm

Thanks for your prompt response Mithun. You are right; strictly speaking, there is no "ADA style" tanks. You are also right that braceless tanks existed long before ADA came into existence. However, for ease of understanding, rimless, braceless, open top tanks are referred to as ADA style tanks as this is the company that revived and re-introduced the concept to the market with a build hardly matched by the copycats. The price? An arm and a leg and some more! :D

So you have a 12 mm, 4" brace all around the top as well as the bottom, but no cross braces, right? It speaks volume of the craftsmanship of Buro da who can build a 6'x2'x2' from 12 mm float glass without cross braces. My respect for him has gone up by more than a few notches. By the way, have you measured the distance between the front and the back panel in the middle and at the ends recently? Are they the same? I hasten to add that I am not trying to find fault with Buro da's expertise or your knowledge. The reason behind my inquisitiveness is this. I have been keeping fish since 1969 and building my own glass aquariums since 1990. I have been a member on many aquarist forum and an avid reader of DIY projects. I have never come across a single build project that used 12 mm glass to build a 6'x2'x2' without cross braces, that remained bow-free. Hat's off to Buro da ^:)^ ^:)^

Subroto
If we work for a living, why do we kill ourselves working?
Subroto
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby mithun » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:23 pm

Subroto wrote: However, for ease of understanding, rimless, braceless, open top tanks are referred to as ADA style tanks as this is the company that revived and re-introduced the concept to the market with a build hardly matched by the copycats.

Not true.. the concept never died so that they would revive it.. The only concept introduced by ADA is iwagumi style nature aquarium that didnt exist before.. If you are in doubt check the IAPLC and AGA competition entries that came long before 2005. Elos, predecessor of ADA has been doing aesthetic tank and accessory making long before ADA in a similar way. Just that Elos primarily marketted their product in Europe while ADA targetted Asia and USA. Australia is still sufferring from inferiority complex due to their ban on most plant imports.

Subroto wrote:So you have a 12 mm, 4" brace all around the top as well as the bottom, but no cross braces, right? It speaks volume of the craftsmanship of Buro da who can build a 6'x2'x2' from 12 mm float glass without cross braces. My respect for him has gone up by more than a few notches. By the way, have you measured the distance between the front and the back panel in the middle and at the ends recently? Are they the same? I hasten to add that I am not trying to find fault with Buro da's expertise or your knowledge. The reason behind my inquisitiveness is this. I have been keeping fish since 1969 and building my own glass aquariums since 1990. I have been a member on many aquarist forum and an avid reader of DIY projects. I have never come across a single build project that used 12 mm glass to build a 6'x2'x2' without cross braces, that remained bow-free. Hat's off to Buro da ^:)^ ^:)^
Subroto

Just measured it.. still 24"+1mm ... no problem there.. its made of saint gobain ultra clear glass
Mithun
Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:If you want something done in a better way, do it yourself.

mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Subroto » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:01 am

I checked the references you made and I stand corrected. In fact Elos is still in business, even in USA.

Wow, mithun, I really did not expect that minute deflection! Just 1mm!!! That does it. When I return to Kolkata (as eventually I would), no more aquarium building for me! Buro da zindabad! And with that said, I don't see any point in continuing this thread as DIY aquarium is not an option in whatever way you look at it, IF you are in Kolkata. The situation is different for me though, as there are places where you are forced to explore such options.

As a parting note I must add that this brief thread enriched me enormously. I found valuable information and insights into many things in my exchanges with fellow KAC members and my greatest discovery is, obviously, BURO DA. It would be an understatement if I say I am impressed! Is he one of our members? Is this his passion only or profession as well? Does he maintain an establishment? And finally, can I get his contact details?

Happy fishkeeping!

Subroto
Subroto
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby mithun » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:56 am

Buro da is not computer literate so no he is not a member :P But yes he is a big offline member of our club in spirit. He is a professional and his shop is near Jadavpur railway crossing. We dont endorse his business through KAC but his skill, honest business methods, humble and warm relation with our members has made a special place in our hearts.. so whenever somebody asks for leads for things that buroda excels in, we direct them to buroda rather than some other people who might not give you proper quotes/advises and we all know that in this hobby there is no scarcity of cut-throat sellers.

Thank you for opening this thread, I am sure that has also helped many other members and will do same for future readers.
Mithun

mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby soumadip » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:51 pm

do share ur plans for the wet dry sump for the planted tank...
i made my 4ft tank with 12mm glass and no rims (oviusly i didnt know about buroda then) its not as good as buroda's finish but better than all my local lfs and ofcourse cheaper
ur going to feed co2 through the sump right??
My dragon breeding project
ImageImage
soumadip
Dedicated KAC Member
Dedicated KAC Member

Postby Subroto » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:38 am

Good question, soumadip. I am still undecided about the modification that I need for adopting a wet/dry for my planted aquarium with CO2 feed. The main issue is degassing because of the nature of wet/dry mechanism. The additional cost for more frequent refill due to degassing may not be an issue in Kolkata though I don't know the refill price. But my idea is to make it as efficient as possible and I am still looking for the "perfect" sump. I have decided on the overflow though; it would be a BeanAnimal overflow design. For the sump itself, I am toying with the idea of adopting the reef set up to have a 'reverse' photo period in the sump where I can grow more plants which would oxygenate the display tank at night to keep the pH stable. Will it work? :-? I have plans to avoid bio-filtration in the sump altogether as I prefer to leave it to the display tank plants to handle. Dosing the tank would also be done through the sump obviously, but I have not decided yet whether I should include an auto dosing feature. Auto top-off would be next and if I can, I would try to incorporate auto water change. I am a lazy guy and usually have more things to juggle than I can handle ;) Now the return pump; internal or external? All pumps generate heat and internal pumps would transfer that heat to the water. External pumps are usually for a much higher flow rate and would be an overkill for a planted tank. Of course, the return flow can be split and the excess flow can be diverted back to the sump (restricting the return flow with valves is a no-no, as it shortens the life of the pump) but I don't see any reason to spend more (external pumps are much more expensive) if you can spend less! So, which one? The jury is still out :-\ . Finally the return pipe. Definitely under the surface. Definitely not near the bottom substrate. But where? In the middle? A submerged spray bar near the back, directed towards the front? Or one spray bar - submerged again - at each end? Flow directed towards each other? [-x Questions, questions. :-\ :-\

Ideas, suggestions, advices, guys?

Subroto
Subroto
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby mithun » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:13 am

Degassing is not an issue with wet-dry filtration if you can cover sump top and provide ample CO2 in main tank. Refill price is nominal.. around 30-50 bucks per Kg of CO2.
Having algae in sump is not a good idea. The spores will eventually spread into your display tank and infest it as well.. For reef the idea is safer becoz the main tank has more bluish light which unfavours plant/algae growth while sump/refugium has more reddish light to promote plant/algae growth. In planted tank main tank also has light that promote plant/algae growth. So this idea wont work.

The whole idea of having a filter is to provide 90% bio filtration and 10% mechanical filtration as whatever mech-filter takes out is not harmful to fishes. They are only visible eye-sores.. they mostly consist of fish poop, debris etc. But when they start to rot in the collected mech filter that when trouble starts, it produces ammonia and uric acids which needs to be promptly handled by bio-filters.. Therefore its a waste if you avoid bio-filtration and still make a sump as sump is the best in the category of bio-filter!

I am using Sicce Syncra 5.0 its a 5000lph pump and very very silent with compact design.. love it.. it can be used both internally and externally. There are smaller models available .. check the websites for the same.

the return pipe outlet should stay close to upper surface, otherwise in case of power outage/pump failure/simply switching it off will make the whole tank get drained through the return pipe. If you have a big enough tank you can split the pipe into several outlets and direct them in horizontal directions a little lower than the surface.. Too much surface agitation is bad for planted tank so keep it where it wont hit the surface and create waves..
Mithun

mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Subroto » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:33 pm

Sorry, couldn't find time to get back to this thread.
mithun wrote:Degassing is not an issue with wet-dry filtration if you can cover sump top and provide ample CO2 in main tank.

Do you mean the entire sump or just the intake area from the overflow?
mithun wrote:Having algae in sump is not a good idea. The spores will eventually spread into your display tank and infest it as well..

Not algae, plants. Basically, the sump would be a second planted tank that would be on a reverse photo period, to provide my main tank with sufficient oxygen during night and keep the pH stable. Will that work?
mithun wrote:The whole idea of having a filter is to provide 90% bio filtration and 10% mechanical filtration

This is precisely why I want the bio-media removed. Wet/dry, due to its bio-filtration process, turns into a nitrate-producing factory, which the plants find much more difficult to break down to assimilate N+ from. Ammonium is more readily taken by all aquatic plants, barring a few exceptions. The nitrifying bacteria in the biological filter competes with the plants for ammonium and by removing the bio-media from the trickle filter, I want to remove the competitor. I prefer to entrust the job of bio-filtration to my plants. It may not be advisable from the very beginning when the tank is cycling, but once the plants continue to establish themselves, I prefer to gradually reduce the bio-filtration in the wet/dry. I am still not sure whether I should remove the bio-media entirely or leave a little in there. Finding that balance may not be easy. Perhaps testing the water parameter at various stages of the process would give me a clue.
Subroto wrote:I am using Sicce Syncra 5.0 its a 5000lph pump and very very silent with compact design..

Great! I would check it out.
Subroto wrote:the return pipe outlet should stay close to upper surface, otherwise in case of power outage/pump failure/simply switching it off will make the whole tank get drained through the return pipe.

You are right; I plan to use a swing or ball check valve on the return line just before entering the main tank which would protect the system from such a catastrophe.
Subroto wrote:you can split the pipe into several outlets and direct them in horizontal directions a little lower than the surface..

From both ends, towards each other? Or from the back to the front? What do you think would be better?

Subroto
Subroto
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby mithun » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:11 pm

Subroto wrote:
mithun wrote:Degassing is not an issue with wet-dry filtration if you can cover sump top and provide ample CO2 in main tank.

Do you mean the entire sump or just the intake area from the overflow?

Whole sump top.. covering overflow as well will reduce noise too...

Subroto wrote:
mithun wrote:Having algae in sump is not a good idea. The spores will eventually spread into your display tank and infest it as well..

Not algae, plants. Basically, the sump would be a second planted tank that would be on a reverse photo period, to provide my main tank with sufficient oxygen during night and keep the pH stable. Will that work?

Technically that should work but Why would u want to drain the nutrients by having a second planted tank in the cabinet? just turning off the CO2 solenoid will do it.. oxygen will be already enough if u run wet-dry filter/sump.

Subroto wrote:
mithun wrote:The whole idea of having a filter is to provide 90% bio filtration and 10% mechanical filtration

This is precisely why I want the bio-media removed. Wet/dry, due to its bio-filtration process, turns into a nitrate-producing factory, which the plants find much more difficult to break down to assimilate N+ from. Ammonium is more readily taken by all aquatic plants, barring a few exceptions. The nitrifying bacteria in the biological filter competes with the plants for ammonium and by removing the bio-media from the trickle filter, I want to remove the competitor. I prefer to entrust the job of bio-filtration to my plants. It may not be advisable from the very beginning when the tank is cycling, but once the plants continue to establish themselves, I prefer to gradually reduce the bio-filtration in the wet/dry. I am still not sure whether I should remove the bio-media entirely or leave a little in there. Finding that balance may not be easy. Perhaps testing the water parameter at various stages of the process would give me a clue.

Ammonia is harmful for fishes and induces algae... Nitrate readily consumed by plants .. ammonia is not.. u are misinformed about this.. ammonia is broken into NO2 and then NO3- by bacteria then NO3- is consumed by plants..

Subroto wrote:
mithun wrote:you can split the pipe into several outlets and direct them in horizontal directions a little lower than the surface..

From both ends, towards each other? Or from the back to the front? What do you think would be better?

I would suggest from one side lengthwise flow with parallel outlets.. that would make CO2 distribution even..
Mithun

mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Projects