DIY Acrylic/Glass Aquarium

Time to build something new
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Re: DIY Acrylic/Glass Aquarium

Postby Subroto » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:15 pm

Ditto

Subroto
If we work for a living, why do we kill ourselves working?
Subroto
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Postby Subroto » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:16 pm

I was hoping to see some more posts from the DIYers who have had experience with glass or acrylic, particularly acrylic. Do I take it that we at KAC do not have a DIYer who explored that path, albeit on a smaller scale?

On a different note, Mithun, I am curious about your 6 feeter's specs. Could you post your tank's dimension, the glass thickness, kind of braces used, drilled or not, sump details if you are using one; in other word, the whole lot. As Buroda built it, you may not have any issues like post-construction leak, but I would love to know whatever details you can provide. And please don't forget to mention the cost!

That reminds me to ask my next question, is anyone on this forum using a sump/wet-dry with a planted aquarium fed with CO2?

Happy fishkeeping

Subroto
Subroto
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby Najib » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:39 pm

Hi Subroto....

The reason we don't venture into acrylic is the sheer cost of making it. Even if want to make a nano why would we? When you can get something done for 450/- 10g tank and for the cost of triple that for the same?

Enuf said in that:) if you wanna know on glass and want to know the how and what, we are more than happy to guide. Moreover, we DIYers are more than eager to see it through;)

Let me ask you a few things first before you venture into the tank making quest. Have you made a tank before? The reason for you to make ur own tank?

Cheers,
Najib

***My Fish Eat Your Fish***
Najib

Postby mithun » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:45 pm

well I did some acrylic DIY stuffs on a smaller scale for some equipments I made for my tanks.. did not make a tank with it though, rarely in any forums in the internet u will find someone who have ventured into a 4+ feeter DIY acrylic tanks. Just becoz the DIY part of it is not only costly but damn risky.

for my 6 feeter details follow the journal link in my signature..
Mithun
M:8583865385
Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:If you want something done in a better way, do it yourself.

My 220Gal reef journal | My 150Gal reef journal
mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Subroto » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:03 pm

@mithun, though off the topic, first let me congratulate you on your reef project that you pointed me to. I finished reading all the 41 pages in one go! I was spellbound! With the constraints of limited local availability of almost everything that you used for your dream project, you created something that would make any veteran reefer proud! Hats off, Mithun. ^:)^

You mentioned in your journal that you used 1 inch thick glass panes for your aquarium. Even with 15mm thick glass you could have achieved a safety factor much higher than the safe 3.8. Any particular reason for using 1 inch thick? Is your aquarium completely braceless? I could not make out from the photos.

Coming back to the present thread, I found in your journal that you did do some DIY job with acrylic! That's great!! Now I know where to look for help if I embark on my DIY acrylic project ;)

However, I would not say that there are very few DIY acrylic tank projects on the internet. MonsterfishKeepers.com, AdvancedAquarist.com, cichlid-forum.com are some of the sites (to name a few) where you can get to read step-by-step tutorials on it. Uarujoey has a great video on Youtuble on acrylic tank building; there are others on Youtube as well. Googling it would result in many more informative articles.

@najib, thanks for your post. You are right, the cost factor does not support such an effort, as pointed out by Mithun earlier in response to my OP.

I have already given my reasons for going the DIY route in my OP when I started this thread and in my subsequent responses to other posters. I did a few 2' to 4' all glass aquariums but never a six-footer!

Happy fishkeeping!

Subroto
Subroto
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby Najib » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:15 pm

Ignore my ignorance plz :)

When I started doin my tanks I did with 10g and 30g's. after sometime I found glass where I could make a 5footer. These were waste 12mm glass from work. The inquisitive me ventured into making that. And, that turned out to be a major confidence booster. Cause the finish which I eventually acquired was not expected at all keeping in mind I literally had minimum labor support.

If you want to try a 6 footer my word is go for it. Even if you mess up with the seams which happened with me on the 5 footer it still can be fixed :). But have a suggestion to get some help to hold the glass and such.

Good luck ;)
Najib

***My Fish Eat Your Fish***
Najib

Postby mithun » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:28 pm

my reef tank is made with 12mm glass not 1 inch..

good luck on your build! keep us posted.. \m/
Mithun
Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:If you want something done in a better way, do it yourself.

mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Subroto » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:35 pm

@najib, thanks for sharing your experience. I would definitely mobilize help while doing it as suggested by you if I really be so foolhardy as to ignore yours and Mithun's well intended advice against it ;). Glass panes of that size and weight are very tricky to handle properly. One of the reasons for exploring the acrylic route!

@mithun, I thought it was your sump that was built with 12mm glass. I got the impression that your aquarium was built with 1" thick glass from your post of 12 Oct, 2012 in your journal. I am now very curious to know the kind of bracing your aquarium has. Not to put a damper or anything, from info on this site http://www.fnzas.org.nz/?p=1732 it seems 12mm does not attain the safety factor of 3.8 for a 6'x2'x2'. Given the experience that you and Buro da have, there must be bracings on your aquarium. Could you post the details? Bracing is one aspect of a DIY build that I am not very clear about.

Happy fishkeeping!

Subroto
Subroto
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby mithun » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:58 pm

bracing doesnt necessarily need to be made with metal or wood.. it can be glass itself.. u can use same 12mmx 4" glass to make bracing ..

the 1.00 inch glass was for calculator to estimate weight.. forget about it.. :)

sump is made with 6mm.. for a 3' tank thats enough
Mithun

mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Subroto » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:28 pm

Ok, that clears it up; I realized my mistake when I re-read your Oct post. The thickness was taken as 1" to facilitate the calculation of weight.

Steel, aluminum or wood bracings are passe now for all glass aquariums, unless one wants to have such a rim purely for aesthetic consideration. Such rims, however, add little, if any, strength to a build. Bracing, done almost entirely with glass nowadays for an all glass aquarium, is meant to provide the necessary strength to the upper part to prevent the tank from bowing out in the middle. There are many different ways to do it, the most common, and arguably the most effective, is to place the front-to-back braces in such a way that it divides the aquarium into two equal spaces for an aquarium up to 4 ft. and three spaces for a 6 ft. For a 6 ft., for example, the top of the tank would be divided into three 2'x2' compartments. Usually these braces are further strengthened by adding two braces length wise, one each at the front and back, at the top. Another school of thought suggests adding similar length wise braces at the bottom as well (for a really large and tall tank, say upwards of 24"). Euro bracing is the accepted way to go in case of an acrylic tank, which is sometimes adopted for larger glass aquariums as well. Bracing is a necessary evil, as it detracts from the overall look of the aquarium. ADA style aquariums, marketed by ADA and copied by others, do away with the braces entirely, and it is a beauty to behold. Naturally, an ADA style aquarium needs thicker glass than a similar sized standard aquarium with braces. My question is, which one you chose for your aquarium? And your reasoning for choosing that particular bracing over others. Since you have done it successfully, your choice would be a pointer to me in my future endeavour.

Happy fishkeeping!

Subroto
Subroto
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Projects