Collecting Boraras maculatus

Explore the aquatic life on planet earth
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Collecting Boraras maculatus

Postby avik » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:05 am

Few days ago we went to catch Boraras maculatus from Muar, Johor state of Malaysia, from where it has been described originally. I know this fish is very popular among planted hobbyists, specially those with a nano setup. Do you guys know about their habitat, the water parameters and color of the waterbodies they live and breed! The maculatus are widely distributed in the whole South East Asia, even in the concrete forest of Singapore as I read in net.

Muar was a 2 and half hours bus ride from Kuala Lumpur. The place was previously called Bandar Maharani and it is believed to be older than the famed/touristy Melacca town. I had a friend there who straightaway took us to location for Nepenthes (pitcher plant), but the habitat was badly damaged by sand-mining and we hardly spotted 2 or 3 plants of N. gracilis. After that we explored a couple of peat swamps. The landscape was very beautiful; red soil, mystic forests all around and no human except us three.
The main swamp area was separated from the outside forest by a small ditch and we had a hard time crossing that, the soil floor was too soft to carry us. We somehow managed to get inside and started scooping. I brought back 6 maculatus to house with my Parosphromenus. We also caught a Betta bellica there. The photos are from photography tank just after we caught them, so the water is bit cloudy and the fishes stressed. I shall share more maculatus photo from my tank. They are cclimatizing well and eating grindal worms happily. The fts and more photos of popular foods (Otak Otak, Mutton gearbox soup etc) from Muar is coming shortly.

avik
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: Collecting Boraras maculatus

Postby Soumya Sarkar » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:37 am

wow....
waiting for more.....
I have learned how to be a learner.....
Soumya Sarkar
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby kumar » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:52 am

Superb bro!!

Bring them on.
i luv fish + u luv fis=we luv wish

rahul wrote:It should not be like today planted ,tomorrow cichlid,day after tomorrow blackwater, next community, then marine ,then business and end up dying useless. Whatever you do do it well
kumar
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Abhirup.mecho » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:49 am

Great dada, in many of your posts we come across habitat destruction across SE Asia,tell us more about it
Abhirup.mecho
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby avik » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:18 am

The main problem is the rising/growing palm oil industry..everywhere in SEAsia..they are destroying millions of years old rainforests overnight..very clever guys out there. They do not cut trees, rather just burn the whole forest. Less manpower required, less time consumed, no risk of getting caught/fined for killing protected animals or plants. Open burning is one of the major issues in this part of the world. You cannot breathe without a mask (eeh, I always forget to bring my masks in office, hoping I got the antibody from polluted roads of Kolkata) even in KL in most of the non-monsoon seasons..the visibility is poor, one night u sleep with windows open, you can literally feel mild pain in throat in the morning.

I shall post some photos of habitat destructions..till then why dont you guys google for API in Indonesia..like Riau or Pontianak.
avik
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby suvrajit » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:50 am

Nice thread avik
I had hard times keeping these guys,
captive bred are very reluctant eaters
Suvrajit
Fishaholic
suvrajit
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby avik » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:34 am

What did u feed them bro? They might like darker environment more than brightly lit planted tanks.
avik
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Return to Habitat Study and Collection Trips