Collection trip on January 16, 16

Explore the aquatic life on planet earth
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Re: Collection trip on January 16, 16

Postby xarg0n » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:58 pm

Well..enough for your 10" cube..thats kinda less :)
Thanks & Regards..

Sourav...

"If you want to do something in a better way, do it yourself !" --Nepoleon Bonaparte
xarg0n
Dedicated KAC Member
Dedicated KAC Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Postby SanamMarik » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:40 am

You r misinformed. Please note dat I have 25fishes or 100, i will qt them and raise them in a small tank only. And i was not alone to take fishes bak home. Also towards d end we stopped taking in fishes of same species nd were looking for other species. The catch was far more than Jaguli. Also, capturing too many numbers isnt a good thing to do. :)
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Postby arnab » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:45 am

finally people are talking business and not about the luchi and boiled eggs.

I have understood your points both Tirtha da and Xargon. But implementing in reality is always bit difficult when you have got 7 super enthusiasts in the team. More trips would bring more experience and more tips and tricks. We would know who is good at what and what one can do or cannot. This is a team work and I am sure we will improve as a team.

Coming back to collections, Sanam is correct. We left many fishes in the water bodies only later in the day. We were satisfied with the collection, that was the main part :)

Talking of shrimps, we were surprised too :( it looked heaven for shrimps. probably there was something in the water shrimps didn't like. As we got baby snakeheads, chances of adult ones dining on shrimps is also there. But probability of that is low.
arnab

Postby xarg0n » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:58 am

I guess every habitat that we feel would be a shrimp heaven , may not be. We need to study more specifically about shrimps and their requirements, so we will know where/what to look for during any such future collection trips. Also I believe pesticides played a major role for shrimp unavailability, though I would love to imagine shrimps were simply remained untouched because of their superior camouflage technics, which call for wait and watch during collection. I guess target fishing would be more appropriate for shrimping ;)
Thanks & Regards..

Sourav...

"If you want to do something in a better way, do it yourself !" --Nepoleon Bonaparte
xarg0n
Dedicated KAC Member
Dedicated KAC Member

Postby el batty » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:13 am

shrimps are more sensitive and absence of shrimps suggest that the water is not void of pesticides or similar stuffs and as it was mentioned/documented that the owner of one the wetland was spraying pesticide to reduce growth of plants, this practice might not be uncommon for the rest too.

So, this particular area is corrupted with human presence is all i could conclude.
Snakeheads wont just eat the shrimps..they are predatory and they could eat almost everything if we consider that way. The presence of smaller species like rice fish cancels that hypothesis i guess. I may be wrong too :P
Regards,
Subhadeep

aninda wrote:I believe in karma. That means I can do bad things to people I don't like and assume they deserved it.
el batty

Postby rahul » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:38 pm

just finding less shrimps does not mean that there are less shrimps.from what it looked the area could be paradise for shrimps.and all we did is to throw nets during the midday where they tend to hide in the deepest areas and the amount of vegetation suggests there are enough of hiding spots no matter how many and how nasty predators are around.They are always safe in numbers.And the ideal time for catching them is dawn or dusk where they tend to come more near the surface.
I am pretty sure that this habitat is a native shrimp heaven..........
But our timing was odd to get them.
rahul

Postby mithun » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:23 pm

I as usual missed an early morning trip.. A little disappointed with myself.. But... oh well.. if you do awesome DIY late at night mornings are gonna drag anyways (No pun intended) :P I never make it to anywhere early morning :(
Mithun
M:8583865385
Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:If you want something done in a better way, do it yourself.

My 220Gal reef journal | My 150Gal reef journal
mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby rajivmemon » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:14 pm

Wow amazing pics and trips, no wonder Calcutta is such a great place ... will sure try and meet up with you guys in my trip to calcutta(it will be my first)

Regards
Rajiv
rajivmemon
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Previous

Return to Habitat Study and Collection Trips