Nessler's reagent for Ammonia detection

Dedicated to the science behind the hobby
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Nessler's reagent for Ammonia detection

Postby soumyadipta9 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:44 am

About a month ago, after the last epidemic hit my tank I started thinking about getting test kits. But buying them wasn't easy obviously, being as damned expensive as they are. Then, while browsing through various forums on the subject, I was reminded (thanks to @Rohan's post in MAC) of Nessler's Reagent as the universal test for Ammonia.
Decided to give it shot. Even if it doesn't work I only lose, like, Rs 100 which is peanuts compared to the price of test kits..

Over the past month I have done quite a number of tests using Nessler's Reagent. Here's my findings so far....

Test samples:

Tank water-> No detection so far for either of my tanks

Keeping 1 Buenos Aires Tetra in 1 Gallon water-> Ammonia detected after roughly 1 day

Water in fish packet brought from Galiff-> Deep yellow coloration of solution after just 1 drop of the reagent, very high concentration of ammonia. Poor fish :(

***1 drop of Harpic in 10 ml water-> Precipitation :P <Harpic contains Ammonium Chloride>

From the tests it is clear that Nessler's definitely works for higher concentrations of ammonia. As for lower concentrations like 0.2-0.3 ppm, its hard to say. The only way to ascertain that will be by comparing the findings with a test kit or, better, by testing a solution with known concentration of Ammonia.

So, that was my experience with Nessler's Reagent. Has anybody else here tried it ?
Deep

--I solemnly swear I'm up to no good--
soumyadipta9
KAC Freak
KAC Freak

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: Nessler's reagent for Ammonia detection

Postby Rohan » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:37 am

Seems like my lil research worked :P :D

Good work mate ;)
Rohan

Postby soumyadipta9 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:32 am

Rohan wrote:Seems like my lil research worked :P :D

Yes it did. :)
Deep

--I solemnly swear I'm up to no good--
soumyadipta9
KAC Freak
KAC Freak

Postby Rohan » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:36 am

:D
Rohan

Postby SanamMarik » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:03 pm

Nice Find Rohan...Will try and update shortly as I would have bought ammo kit by nxt week... :D
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Postby SanamMarik » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:42 pm

Also can pls share the info in detail on how to measure nd chk the level in which scale? Thanks a lot!!!
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Postby Sourav Bhowmick » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:55 pm

Yes! You can use Nessler's reagent to detect low ammonia conc also. But you have to buy a colorimeter, micropipette you have to know Beer-Lambert's law, and a lots of calculation. Not at all cheap.
Sourav Bhowmick
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Subha92 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:42 am

soumyadipta9 wrote:About a month ago, after the last epidemic hit my tank I started thinking about getting test kits. But buying them wasn't easy obviously, being as damned expensive as they are. Then, while browsing through various forums on the subject, I was reminded (thanks to @Rohan's post in MAC) of Nessler's Reagent as the universal test for Ammonia.
Decided to give it shot. Even if it doesn't work I only lose, like, Rs 100 which is peanuts compared to the price of test kits..

Over the past month I have done quite a number of tests using Nessler's Reagent. Here's my findings so far....

Test samples:

Tank water-> No detection so far for either of my tanks

Keeping 1 Buenos Aires Tetra in 1 Gallon water-> Ammonia detected after roughly 1 day

Water in fish packet brought from Galiff-> Deep yellow coloration of solution after just 1 drop of the reagent, very high concentration of ammonia. Poor fish :(

***1 drop of Harpic in 10 ml water-> Precipitation :P <Harpic contains Ammonium Chloride>

From the tests it is clear that Nessler's definitely works for higher concentrations of ammonia. As for lower concentrations like 0.2-0.3 ppm, its hard to say. The only way to ascertain that will be by comparing the findings with a test kit or, better, by testing a solution with known concentration of Ammonia.

So, that was my experience with Nessler's Reagent. Has anybody else here tried it ?

Using Nessler's reagent to detect ammonia, is very hard as because the little differences from the control are not possible to be evaluated by our naked eyes. For doing so, you need a colorimeter or spectrophotometer, which seems to be quite expensive in compared to the test kit.

Sent from my Che1-L04 using Tapatalk
Subha92
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Return to Aquarium Science