Pest Anemone (Aiptasia)

Talk about marine fish diseases and tank disasters
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Re: Pest Anemone (Aiptasia)

Postby debmalya.seal » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:28 am

@ Krishnendu,
Thanks bro.... Vikash is doing fine as well. Will ask him to join in here.

Ph value of Lime Water is above 9. Now the issue here is not just 10ml of lime water. If you have one or two you can use lime water, vinegar or whatever. It will hardly affect the water chemistry. But when the point of concern is one tank full of Aiptasia then you shudnt be using vinger or lime water. As when vinegar is added to water more hydronium ions are produced and Ph value of the water drops drastically. I have never used lime water but I can assume with a tank full of pest anemone you will need a lot of lime water and that might seriously affect the Ph Value. Moreover even if target is not missed it will seriously affect the corals in the surrounding. So i use lemon juice, but little at a time.
debmalya.seal

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Postby debmalya.seal » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:31 am

@ Krishnendu,
Thanks bro.... Vikash is doing fine as well. Will ask him to join in here.
debmalya.seal

Postby tigermath » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:35 am

Arre Debmalyada, welcome to KAC. Now make it a habit to visit the forum atleast every weekend. :D
Regards,

Avik

**Dried testicles of POACHERS cure cancer**
tigermath
KAC Senior Member
KAC Senior Member

Postby Aquaticlife » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:13 pm

when i vist one customer then i saw Anemonia majano inside a bubble coral he bring his bubble from Dhritiman Dutta . he say this is a rare creature and customer buy this coral and Anemonia majano side of coral will not open where other side is fine. and he brig an Aiptasia x . i say all coral lover please watch ur coral which one u want buy .

http://www.google.co.in/search?q=Anemon ... 24&bih=588
images of Anemonia majano .

Red sea wholesaler in West Bengal
Aquatic life
http://www.Aquaticlifeindia.webs.com
Aquaticlife
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby rimikmc12 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:40 am

actually with the 10 ml addition,the ph will rise to 8.9 ...i just calculated
rimikmc12
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby krishnendu » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:05 am

Can you please provide the calculation.

Actually practically it does not happen, I want to check how 10 ml of Lime water when added to 250 litres of salt water at 8.2 ph changes to 8.9, theoretically .
krishnendu
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby mithun » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:51 am

Ca(OH)2 solution or chun jol as told by Krishnendu is a perfectly good solution..

The point here is to kill a big aiptasia you need around 0.1 ml of solution.. now you know how much your dosage is per day.. so you can kill that many in that perticular day

2 things to take care here..
1. Put a wavemaker towards the aiptasia to quickly disperse the Ca(OH)2 as soon as it bursts out of the aiptasia..
2. Make sure you punch the syringe deep inside the mouth of the aiptasia, practically like tearing it in.. dont be merciful in this step..

Another automatic way is to have a copperband butterfly.. they dont usually harm corals
Mithun
M:8583865385
Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:If you want something done in a better way, do it yourself.

My 220Gal reef journal | My 150Gal reef journal
mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby pomacanthus » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:30 pm

My reef tank is now infested with Aiptasias and absolutely uncontrollable. I have tried lime juice et al but it is too tedious and cumbersome, given the nooks and crevices that are infested. I understand they proliferated due to low maintenance and inadequate addition of kalkwasser. My tank has been free from this pest for over 3 years and now suddenly it's a major problem.

I have read somewhere that predatory nudibranch like Berghia is a voracious consumer of this anemone and will invariably rid the tank of Aiptasia. In order to rid my tank of the pest, I would require about 36 of these nudibranch. Any idea guys where these could be sourced in India?

Suggestions would be appreciated.

PK
pomacanthus
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Previous

Return to Saltwater Diseases and Disasters