How to quarantine marine fish

Talk about marine fish diseases and tank disasters
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

How to quarantine marine fish

Postby discus_sing » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:37 am

I want to know how to quarantine marine fish when they arrive.After keeping Moorish idol for month the I added 2 banggai cardinial n 2 azure damsel all went wrong.First Moorish idol died then all four next day. Salinity was 1.026
NO3 was 0 .NH4 was also 0 tested by Sera.temp was 27°.What are the possibility of dying.?my aquarium of 24*18*18 with a sumo of sump of 24*12*15 having 3 coloums 1st full of bio mats 2 nd having weipro skimmer 3rd is empty. In display aqurium i have put red sea live sand n few ordinary rocks with holes in it.Do I need ceremic ring? What improvement I need?
discus_sing
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: How to quarantine marine fish

Postby el batty » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:15 am

a bigger display tank.
Keeping a fish in quarantine does not mean that sending it to ICU. You need to observe and see if this fish is at all infected. Gill flukes are common parasite. Ideally we should keep a new fish for atleast 10-12 days till it is habituated to taking pellets from keeper.

Secondly, you added way too much fish in way too much small tank within a small period of time.
Your bio-crew was ready to handle introduction of 2 fishes max. You added 4.

was there any visible signs of discomfort, like redenning of gills or something like cysts on body etc.
Regards,
Subhadeep

aninda wrote:I believe in karma. That means I can do bad things to people I don't like and assume they deserved it.
el batty

Postby discus_sing » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:26 pm

Dorsal fin of one Moorish idol was bit rotten but it was taking food like anything.later it recovered .But few days other fish dorsal fin was affected even at this but were active n accepting food.Do marine fish need quarantine like we do in discus.What medicine we can use precautionary.
discus_sing
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby mithun » Wed May 17, 2017 11:37 am

quarantining marine fishes is easy but almost mandatory if you want to keep your display tank disease free

All you need is a sizable tank. This means your tank size should depend on how many fishes you are planning to quarantine simultaneously .. a rough measure is 10L per inch of fish. Keeping water volume/inch a little lower than ideal display tank is crucial. Because in quarantine you require to change water often depending on medicine cycles, so keeping lower volume makes your WC cheaper.

It should have minimal equipments. a heater for winter and a power or HoB filter with moderate waterflow rate and a air intake/airstone are all you need. Not mandatory to add lights! Lower lights help fish to feel secure and reduces stress. a few PVC pipes and L/T will be helpful to provide the fish shelter. Avoid adding any LR/substrate etc.

Keep the tank away from high activity/Sound area.

process: measure the sailinity of the water in which the fish is transported and keep QT salinity 0.002 lower than than. Do not add the water from the package to the tank rather just float the package on top of QT water to equate temperature to reduce thermal shock. after 20 mins of floating remove the fish from the package and add to the tank. Lights, if any, should be kept off.

Do not feed the fish on the first day and let the fish settle in. you will likely see the fish to retract into corners and stay a little stressed. After 24 hours you are likely to see more activity from the fish as it has recovered from shock of new environment. Now you can turn the light on. Don't feed the fish yet. wait for it to become free swimming and pecking/looking for food around. by end of 36 hours the fish is genuinely hungry. If its showing enough activity then only throw a little food to it.. if it doesnt show any interest dont try again that day. Remove any uneaten food after half n hour or so. Try again next day. A few days of hunger wont kill it so dont panic. Try different types of food if you wish.

During QT period monitor your fish closely for any diseases or signs of parasite etc. if you feel add general purpose meds like methylin blue, stabilized vitamin C etc. When any disease is identified immediately start treatment course.. Its preferable to do QT one fish at a time due to medicinal separation of them.. after 21 days of disease free QT you can move the fish to DT by slowly increasing salinity of QT to DT level and then transfer. Do not in any ways add QT water to DT coz that has very high chances of cross contamination.

Every time you start QT, start with new water .. do not use water of last QT to start new quarantine.

Hope that helps!
Mithun
M:8583865385
Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:If you want something done in a better way, do it yourself.

My 220Gal reef journal | My 150Gal reef journal
mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Saltwater Diseases and Disasters