Doubtful !!

Whats going on in your reef tank water
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Doubtful !!

Postby xarg0n » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:30 pm

After I got relocated to Kolkata from Chennai, I have setup my 50 Gal Marine
tank(the one in Chennai was 25G). But this time water parameters are not getting settled quite in the expected manner. I have set it up (the water) a month back but was not finding time to set the sand/rock etc.
Last week I added around 60 KGs of Live Sand (Aragonite, avaerage sand bed depth of 3.7 inches)
and around 23 KGs of LR(Cured ?) from LFS . I am running my intank trickle filter with Hailea 2500L/hour head
+ a wave maker(SOBO) which claims to be 5000L/hour but I know by watching its flow it cannot be more than 2000L/Hr.
on top of that I have added 2 yellow tailed blue damsel(not the short body one) to kick start the cycling. These two are eating like monsters and I got my NH4 reading 0 from very starting but the NO2 clocked at 1.5, 3 days back, 1 day before yesterday, 0.5 yesterday and 0.3 today morning. I have not attached any skimmer now, only filtration is the DIY trickle filter having recron synthetic cotton and ceramic sponge pads (its like a 1 inch thick sponge sheet embedded in ceramic) maximizing the surface area of those pads for bacteria colonization. Oxygen content is quite high in the water column as I can see micro bubbles in entire tank due to the water blasting inside the trickle.
The most strange part is my NO3 reading has never crossed more than 1 ppm . So if NO2 is decreasing so fast where the NO3 is getting consumed ?
Thanks & Regards..

Sourav...

"If you want to do something in a better way, do it yourself !" --Nepoleon Bonaparte
xarg0n
Dedicated KAC Member
Dedicated KAC Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: Doubtful !!

Postby mithun » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:36 pm

your tank has algae/diatoms?
Mithun
M:8583865385
Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:If you want something done in a better way, do it yourself.

My 220Gal reef journal | My 150Gal reef journal
mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby xarg0n » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:12 pm

Nope ...absolutely crystal clear..more over I am not using any lights at these stage
Thanks & Regards..

Sourav...

"If you want to do something in a better way, do it yourself !" --Nepoleon Bonaparte
xarg0n
Dedicated KAC Member
Dedicated KAC Member

Postby debdoot1987 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:20 am

For making the tank get matured you can take some water from someone whose tank is already matured when they are doing water changes.. Also you can try the rotten shrimp method , when the shrimp rots and starts bacterial population. Water parameters takes sometime to be stabilized.
Regards,
Debdoot

"Forgiveness is between man and god, my job is to arrange the meeting"
debdoot1987
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Return to Saltwater Chemistry