Fake marine salt..

Whats going on in your reef tank water
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Fake marine salt..

Postby krishnendu » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:10 pm

Kolkata market is flooded with fake RED SEA CORAL PRO salt. The dealers are selling it in 7kg bucket approx @Rs 1000. Initially one would not face any trouble because it will mix very well in water. But on a long term basis it would result in deteriorating condition of tank. So beware of Red Sea Salt...
krishnendu
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: Fake marine salt..

Postby Tirtha » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:24 pm

krishnendu wrote:Kolkata market is flooded with fake RED SEA CORAL PRO salt. The dealers are selling it in 7kg bucket approx @Rs 1000. Initially one would not face any trouble because it will mix very well in water. But on a long term basis it would result in deteriorating condition of tank. So beware of Red Sea Salt...

Is there any dependable source of the product in Kolkata, where people can buy the original??
Regards,
Tirtha

A Bad Attitude is like a Flat Tyre. You cannot go anywhere until you change it.
Tirtha
Admin
Admin

Postby Avinash » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:56 pm

even the distributor of red sea can't supply coral pro @ 1000/- INR to retailers like us.
Avinash

Postby tigermath » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:28 pm

What is the remedy?
Regards,

Avik

**Dried testicles of POACHERS cure cancer**
tigermath
KAC Senior Member
KAC Senior Member

Postby el batty » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:03 am

Is there any specific characteristics to differentiate the originals from the fake, like any exterior specifications to differentiate on the container? I have started marine in a small scale too and this particular news got me thinking as i bought mine 7Kg box of coral pro at Rs. 1100 :cry:
Regards,
Subhadeep

aninda wrote:I believe in karma. That means I can do bad things to people I don't like and assume they deserved it.
el batty

Postby Achintya » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:26 am

agree with kesto da. even this sunday i saw a buyer bought this salt at that quoted price!!!i think we merely find original aquatic products at gallif.isn't it??
The Best Revenge is Massive Success
Achintya
KAC Senior Member
KAC Senior Member

Postby krishnendu » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:57 am

Tirtha wrote:
krishnendu wrote:Kolkata market is flooded with fake RED SEA CORAL PRO salt. The dealers are selling it in 7kg bucket approx @Rs 1000. Initially one would not face any trouble because it will mix very well in water. But on a long term basis it would result in deteriorating condition of tank. So beware of Red Sea Salt...

Is there any dependable source of the product in Kolkata, where people can buy the original??

I am still searching for an original RED SEA SALT source. However, other brands are available which are genuine.
krishnendu
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby krishnendu » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:03 am

tigermath wrote:What is the remedy?

Try other brand. But the problem is, you will not get a particular brand of salt constantly in Kolkata market. I have noticed for every 6-7 months the availability of a particular brand of salt changes. The only solution is to stock huge volume of salt when your preferred brand is available in the market. But this is not always possible for everyone.
krishnendu
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Achintya » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:11 am

yes budget is a big factor here.
The Best Revenge is Massive Success
Achintya
KAC Senior Member
KAC Senior Member

Postby krishnendu » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:15 am

el batty wrote:Is there any specific characteristics to differentiate the originals from the fake, like any exterior specifications to differentiate on the container? I have started marine in a small scale too and this particular news got me thinking as i bought mine 7Kg box of coral pro at Rs. 1100 :cry:

Don't get heart broken, I think initially you are not keeping any invertebrates, so use the salt for 6 months, then slowly change to other salt before introducing any invertebrates to your tank. In the mean time check you salinity, pH, PO4 and NO3 readings regularly. Try to monitor any sudden change of pH in your tank. The salt can be used for a fish only tank.

Coming to differentiation, the original salt is crystalline in shape (like fine sugar granules or local edible salt) but the fake one is more like smooth powder like substance. The fake one dissolves very quickly in water whereas the original one takes quite a lot of effort to mix it well in water. You wont be able to differentiate it by looking at the container, they have copied it very smartly.
krishnendu
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Next

Return to Saltwater Chemistry