Hood getting hot and smell of burning plastic

Talk about Reef lighting, Filtration, Chillers etc
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Hood getting hot and smell of burning plastic

Postby ShubhamC » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:51 pm

New problem! I got T5HO lights and got an electrician to fix them to my acrylic hood. Now the hood is getting really hot on top and there's the smell of burning plastic! Can the heat cause my hood to cave in? Suggestions????
ShubhamC
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: Hood getting hot and smell of burning plastic

Postby el batty » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:31 pm

customize the hood...raise it from the edge of the tank...now hang the t5ho from the hood, this will reduce the contact distance from the hood.
Regards,
Subhadeep

aninda wrote:I believe in karma. That means I can do bad things to people I don't like and assume they deserved it.
el batty

Postby pritam » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:46 pm

that was happened with me also......i agree with @el batty
you can do also one thing,that 100% worked for me. according to your luminaire size you can buy some aluminium foil from any store or you can get it from kitchen.
then just cover the hood from inside with that. that will restrict any burning of plastic surely, as these foils can tolerate high heat flux.
this will also help you to increase the light level in your tank. but it will also heat up your water slightly faster,as more light reflected to the water.
so customize your hood this way,hope you will never face this type of prob.
pritam
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby ShubhamC » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:44 am

Thanks for the suggestions! However there is another issue. The t5HO ballasts I bought from Best Electricals look a little old....and they are inducing a serious current in the water,giving me a large shock when i touch the water with the light switched on! Also get a shock when i touch the ballasts. What should I do????
ShubhamC
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby vikramdutta » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:12 am

Is the ballast by any chance in contact with water? please remove it and arrange to fix it on the back wall, please check if any wire from the tube or other accessories touching the water, before touching the water check with Tester, best test will be switch off all the electric equipment and and power on any one and test with the tester, then switch off that one and repeat with the second one. Check all the equipment even if you find any issue prior to end.
vikramdutta
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby pulsarabhi » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:14 am

Do you have a heater inside your tank? If yes, check if that is faulty first. Heaters/thermostats are often prime candidates for such electric faults. And yes, please be cautious :)
pulsarabhi
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby DeepSankarSen » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:16 am

I am shocked and appalled that nobody cared to inform the fire brigade!
AQUAHOLIC
DeepSankarSen
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Postby pritam » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:52 am

ShubhamC wrote:Thanks for the suggestions! However there is another issue. The t5HO ballasts I bought from Best Electricals look a little old....and they are inducing a serious current in the water,giving me a large shock when i touch the water with the light switched on! Also get a shock when i touch the ballasts. What should I do????

i also think that your ballast is in touch with water. do not switch on any electrical equipment in tank before you are 100% sure they are well insulated. it can be dangerous for your fish also.
pritam
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Return to Reef Lighting & Equipments