Marine Lighting

Talk about Reef lighting, Filtration, Chillers etc
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Which is your preferred lighting option in a reef tank?

Metal Halide
29%
LED
61%
T5 VHO/ HO
2%
T5
6%
T8
2%

Total votes : 51

Re: Marine Lighting

Postby Tanmay » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:37 am

Hi Brothers.
Its Tanmay here from hyderabad
Need few suggestions. i have started my new 100 gallon marine tank a month ago and looking for good lighting for it.Considered 2 30watt leds.(1 white and 1 actinic blue).The 30 watt leds are equivalent to 70 Watt Metal Halides. But the problem is we dont have the blue actinic color light available in the Led series.
I already have 2 t8 30 watt tubes (both white and actinic) from my old 55 gallon tank. but i don't think they are enough for this new one.

Currently using 4 - 16 watt cfl lights for the temporary solution.
Please suggest some solutions.

Regards
Tanmay
Tanmay
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Postby krishnendu » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:59 am

Have you cot the 50watt LED flood light you are talking about. Please share the approx price of the LED lights. Can you post some pics of the light?
krishnendu
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby khoka1234 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:53 pm

read this carefully and learn more important things..
plz suggest me a Light for my 90 liter FOWLR
suggest me cheep-good-best type of light
and plz mention the price.
with regards

khoka

.......every thing is possible......nothing is impossible.... i do "nothing" everyday........
khoka1234
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby mithun » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:34 pm

My preference till now was 14k MH.. but seeing the LED developments off late I am willing to wait, try out and then vote.. So will vote later
Mithun
M:8583865385
Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:If you want something done in a better way, do it yourself.

My 220Gal reef journal | My 150Gal reef journal
mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby khoka1234 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:44 pm

khoka1234 wrote:
plz suggest me a Light for my 90 liter FOWLR tank
suggest me cheep-good-best type of light
and plz mention the price.
with regards

khoka

.......every thing is possible......nothing is impossible.... i do "nothing" everyday........
khoka1234
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby khoka1234 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:51 pm

mithun wrote:My preference till now was 14k MH.. but seeing the LED developments off late I am willing to wait, try out and then vote.. So will vote later

@ mithun da how much cost of MH 14K?
with regards

khoka

khoka1234
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby mithun » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:54 pm

SamudraGupta wrote:Subhadeep..Lighting to an extent will depend upon tank dimensions and what species you wish to keep..
A bare minimum combination of Fluorescent lights (notably of higher colour temp) and actinic tubes should be ok for fish only tanks..

thanks and regards,

I am still unaware why a FOWLR would need actinic? If you say for coraline algae i would say for coraline algae growth you would need regular dosage of calcium n buffer and yes coraline algae does grow without actinics.. would u take that pain for a FOWLR? I would rather not.. so for a FOWLR i would go for 10k lights, preferably tubes.. why 10k? to discourage unwanted algae..

@Khoka.. depends on wattage, whether ballast is copper or electronic etc.. 70watt MH with elecronic ballast will cost u around 5k .. for 150 watts its around 6.5k, 250 watts will cost u over 7.5k
Mithun
Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:If you want something done in a better way, do it yourself.

mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mithun » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:12 pm

Aquaticlife wrote:kb20KAC wrote:Some say 6.5k K MH lamps are best for coral growth, some experts strictly prefer light of above 20k kelvin. I have come to know people who use 14k K bulbs. Very confusing though. But if the look is concerned, 20k is definitely my first choice. The real issue is that, in a 3 ft reef tank, low light space is rare when using a MH lamp. Then to keep some low light corals, what is the solution in a small tank?
Bro who thinks that only a 6500 k mh is best for any kinds of reef tank :lol:. Please contact with him . In 20k k light zooxanthellae gate his 100 % color but growth rate is nar about 20% reduse than 14 k light. in 14 kk light zooxanthellae gate his 75 % color but growth rate is increase ( best for All kinds of reef tank)
in 10 k % light zooxanthellae gate his 5o % color but growth rate is Max but in only 6.5 k light coral cant create photosynthesis only algae can photosynthesis in 65 k light. Metal use for given ideal Wat /gallon if u can arrange ideal Wat for ur reef by t5 or t8 u don't need to buy a metal .
Red sea wholesaler
Aquatic life

I know who u are but i laughed my heart's content reading this post =)) please don't get offended by this..
never knew gate and get can be so confusing.. :)) incredible to see percentage calculation in colour display..
My dear friend, forget technical stuffs like 6.5k, 10k,20k.. Do you even know why bluish light is preferred for corals? 6.5k makes the growth and photosynthesis rate highest but colour isnt so vibrant because pigmentation does not form well in 6.5k and also for other nuisance algae growth. Light requirement is different for each kind of coral.. SPS do best under whiter lights for more photosynthesis as they are more dependent on zoox algae.. while LPS is dependent more on live feed and most light is fine.. higher colour temperature is preferred only for pigmentation and higher wattage is required so that more light intensity is there for photosynthesis. The reason to avoid white light is nothing but to reduce nuisance algae growth not that corals cant do photosynthesis .. let me give you a simpler chart to see how each light is effective..

PL/PLL/CFL gives around 50-70 lumens/watt
T5HO/T5VHO gives around 70-90 lumens/watt
MH gives 100-110 lumens/watt
LED gives around 150 lumens/watt
Mithun

mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Homes27 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:39 pm

Mates, expensive but everything combined to get your reef best Color and growth go for ORPHEK. Day, night, lightening what all u need this ORPHEK made specifically for reef can deliver.

Reef/salty guys spend bomb on their tanks to start up, maintain and lot of other things, so I don't think while selecting a particular basic equipment will think of cost.
Regards
Himanshu

GOTCHA
Homes27
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby mithun » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:34 pm

Well there are many LED fixture alternatives.. ORPHEK doesnt even come in competition to many like Ecotech Radions.. but they are not viable yet when you have to import everything from US/EU/AU and cry when u need a replacement urgently and your reef dies waiting for it to arive

let them release it here and availability become convenient then we'll see!
Mithun

mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Reef Lighting & Equipments