RO, RODI or a distiller?

Be a responsible reefer
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

RO, RODI or a distiller?

Postby stefanm » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:57 am

I was pricing up a diy ro unit today, I'm having a big problem finding someone to sell me mixed bed di resin, unless I buy 50 kg of each type! I have sent some emails out to various suppliers, doubt I'll get a response though.

So anyway whilst googling I stumbled across a small distiller unit, it's called megahome if you Google it, it'll do roughly a litre an hour, it costs a tad more than the ro unit without the di.

I can get my staff to run the unit and take the distilled water home in a canister, so no extra time, effort or electrical expense for me.

Should I go for the distiller? (It's just for top off, as I'll be using NSW)

The ro unit is coming to just over 5k, with a Dow membrane, the config would be something like this.
5 micron spun filter, iron filter, pre carbon, post carbon, sediment filter (to catch any carbon) ro membrane, di resin (if I can find any) the input tds could be anywhere from 50 to 800 ppm as it's well water, it can vary throughout the year.

The distiller is 6.5k, requires no replacement parts, only the output is roughly a litre per hour, I need roughly 5-6 litres per day. The downside is it's going to need to run a lot, though my staff can take care of that.

Without the di stage, probably 2 of them the ro will not be so good/effective.

Anyone have a supplier for mixed bed di resin? Care to share?
stefanm
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: RO, RODI or a distiller?

Postby kumar » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:40 am

up for another DIY? This has been my dream to build one, for what youd spend for electricity you ll instead need some estate to build it for you, may be multiple units on roof.

https://pt.slideshare.net/utkarshsethia ... ar-stills1

http://www.solaqua.com/solstilbas.html
i luv fish + u luv fis=we luv wish

rahul wrote:It should not be like today planted ,tomorrow cichlid,day after tomorrow blackwater, next community, then marine ,then business and end up dying useless. Whatever you do do it well
kumar
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby stefanm » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:06 am

Not really a DIY, just trying to find a solution, the DI resin is readily available locally, but the cation is 110 litre and anion 250 litre, minimum quantity of 50 litres of each, so that's 18k of resin, way too much for my use, now if at least 9 other reefers are up for a group buy, then I could repackage in zip lock bags of 2 litres and vacuum seal and post, so it would cost 1800 + postage and packing, so maybe 2100-2200 max. Shelf life would be around 2 years.

The distiller unit is a ready made unit, I found on dentalkart, I'd be running it at my work place, so not an issue with the electricity consumption, however is does take around 5.5 hours to output 4 litres of water, I think by time I add a chiller and heater evaporation would maybe go up to 5-6 litres a day during peak summer, so that's another consideration.
stefanm
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby stefanm » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:50 am

I got a response from a supplier in Bombay for the mixed resin, 5 litres pack 1750/- & courier charges 750/- plus 18% tax, so that come to 2950/- non rechargeable resin, not sure if that's a good deal? So far it's the only alternative to using a distiller...hmmmm...
stefanm
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby mithun » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:04 am

you can buy mixed bed resins on ebay.com!
Mithun
M:8583865385
Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:If you want something done in a better way, do it yourself.

My 220Gal reef journal | My 150Gal reef journal
mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby stefanm » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:14 pm

Thanks, I've ordered from a guy in Chennai today, along with an ro customised set up from a place in Delhi, will update once received.

For anyone who is looking for di resin, hi-tech in goojarat have it @ 850 litre, but no suitable cartridge/housing, also if you search, you can find aquaforest branded resin for around 1700/- litre in India, which is on par with international pricing on their products.

I do feel a group buy is worthwhile if we have enough interested reefers to partake, minimum orders are 25 kg for anion and cation, so 50 kg total ( it might be in litres)
Worth considering......
Just for the purpose of information, here in Goa battery guys sell distilled water for 15/- per litre, so anyone skipping ro or rodi water and using bottled water, take a look at this option or if you need in an emergency, it's obviously not economically long term...
stefanm
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby mithun » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:14 am

15/ltr? :O one water change in a 100 gal tank could give you a whole RO-DI setup.
Mithun
Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:If you want something done in a better way, do it yourself.

mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby kumar » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:59 pm

last time I heard, they use some acid in the battery distilled water, not ideally "the" Distilled water
i luv fish + u luv fis=we luv wish

rahul wrote:It should not be like today planted ,tomorrow cichlid,day after tomorrow blackwater, next community, then marine ,then business and end up dying useless. Whatever you do do it well
kumar
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby mithun » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:05 am

Pure water is bad conductor of electricity. They add electrolytes in the distilled water to make it conduct electricity very well.. When battery ages, the water part of the mixture evaporates (electrolytes stay back) and you need to refil the evaporated amount with distilled water.
Mithun

mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Saltwater Discussion