Starting my first aquarium, reef tank.

Be a responsible reefer
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Re: Starting my first aquarium, reef tank.

Postby kumar » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:48 am

stefanm wrote:I can't find crushed oyster shells or crushed coral anywhere, so will be going to a beach tomorrow, which is famous for oyster and other sea shells.

I read and read and read some more... people seem to be against the "crushed shell" method, they claim that it spikes up the phosphates to a level you cant easily handle/mitigate. Aragonite is a better substitute there, and youd buy it anyway.

How you make it porous is another story.

Cheers!
i luv fish + u luv fis=we luv wish

rahul wrote:It should not be like today planted ,tomorrow cichlid,day after tomorrow blackwater, next community, then marine ,then business and end up dying useless. Whatever you do do it well
kumar
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Postby mithun » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:24 am

crushed shells are way more porous than aragonite itself.. the beauty of crushed shells is that they are loosely packed .. that would mean loads of aerobic denitrification and critter population! At the same time its also famous for trapping debris in those gaps between the chips, hence the potential of spikes through leeching and disturbing.. Hence aragonite is a much better choice. If you are still going for shell dusts DO NOT keep any diggers in the tank and if possible include an active startfish/Sea cucumber for keeping it tidy!
Mithun
M:8583865385
Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:If you want something done in a better way, do it yourself.

My 220Gal reef journal | My 150Gal reef journal
mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Aayaan » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:17 pm

Yes..... Aragonite.
IMO, aragonite with big grain size.
Aayaan
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby stefanm » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:34 pm

Minor update, my diy rocks are ready, I also picked up a few pieces of dry rock from my LFS, just over 3 kg, 200 per kg, not too bad.

The diy LED's are almost ready, got all my bits for the controller, unfortunately the touch screen doesn't work as it should, trying to fight it out with Tanotis for a replacement, have proven it's faulty and the wrong item also, so let's see, once I get the screen sorted I can test and finish off the lights, going to look awesome, I've made some changes in the fly to my original design, it's going to be three pendants supported on a projector wall mount bracket.

I had also ordered some hyper violet LED's from the USA, all mounted on my heat sinks, will probably finish the wiring this week.

Other progress, I have made a net cover for the tank, as the tank is on my balcony, I have to be careful of predators etc.
stefanm
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby kumar » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:14 am

pictures for our delight ? :)

rahul wrote:It should not be like today planted ,tomorrow cichlid,day after tomorrow blackwater, next community, then marine ,then business and end up dying useless. Whatever you do do it well
kumar
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby stefanm » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:43 pm

Patience! Once the lights are wired up and tested, need to sort the touch screen issue put first, then I'll post pics and a video!
stefanm
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby kumar » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:48 am

Tanotis is tad bit slow... yeah may be a month for it to re-process your order :( happy waiting

kumar
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby stefanm » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:51 pm

I ordered a replacement screen from another vendor, all working fine. Unfortunately I blew up the arduino, had a 48 v+ wire from my mean well psu touch on one of the IC's on the RTC, blew that up and took out the arduino, got a replacement and it appears the TFT shield is also gone, so got one of those on order, lol. Still awaiting the replacement from Tanotis...

In the meantime I've been tidying up the wiring to avoid another mishap, must have soldered over 100 points as I've designed the pendants to be serviceable, still more to do, will finish it off tomorrow.
stefanm
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby stefanm » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:25 pm

Sneak peak of one of the pendants, there will be a total of 3 pendants over the tank.

Just waiting on the touch screen from Tanotis, I blew the good one up too during the mishap :ymsigh:

IMG_20171127_214910-800x600-780x585.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stefanm
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby Aayaan » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:14 pm

Going good. :-bd
Aayaan
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

PreviousNext

Return to Saltwater Discussion