Starting my first aquarium, reef tank.

Be a responsible reefer
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Re: Starting my first aquarium, reef tank.

Postby stefanm » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:39 pm

Some progress over the past 3 days, got a return pump sunsun jtp5800, couldn't find much in the way of reviews, apart from one fellow in Brazil, who's been running one for almost two years, got it for a good price and it runs on 12 v DC, I did have to buy a separate power supply and car cigarette lighter adapter, so far it seems ok, draws 37.5 watts, I will be hard plumbing it, I don't much care for flexible pipes.
Also built my sump area yesterday, I will be making another tank to house filter socks and a refugium. The extra chamber will be for media which can be used for quarantine/hospital tank as required. Next I'll be making a cover for the sump and an insect screen for the display, after that media, live rock and sand, the final stretch will be to finish the lighting whist the tank is cycling and chiller if needed, I'm keeping a close eye on the temperature as summer has begun, day time temps are equal to peak summer and so far water temps are just about ok.
Other things I need to sort are a battery backup and a wavemaker, both are essential, hoping to keep my current use for essentials under 100 watts, with the return pump and skimmer I'm at around 54 watts.

The beananimal drain system seems very good so far, not 100% silent, but very quiet, no gurgling sound, however it did take a good 3 hours for me to dial it in properly, not sure if I'll need to adjust it further with salt water.

Pictures to follow...
stefanm
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Postby stefanm » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:23 am

Some photos.
IMG_20170302_160457-1040x780.jpg

IMG_20170302_160126-1040x780.jpg

IMG_20170302_160444-780x1040.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stefanm
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby kumar » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:56 am

wow, I dint realize this would be an outdoor tank.

How are your lights coming up? cant wait to see that getting in shape

I think I might be late, but it would have been better with the coast-coast overflow outside the aquarium perimeter. That way it would have allowed better circulation and also not block light. As well the looks would have been cleaner.
Last edited by kumar on Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
i luv fish + u luv fis=we luv wish

rahul wrote:It should not be like today planted ,tomorrow cichlid,day after tomorrow blackwater, next community, then marine ,then business and end up dying useless. Whatever you do do it well
kumar
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby kumar » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:09 am

stefanm wrote:Some photos.
IMG_20170302_160457-1040x780.jpg

Do you intend to use that whole cement enclosure as your sump? Or is it there just for some protection?
i luv fish + u luv fis=we luv wish

rahul wrote:It should not be like today planted ,tomorrow cichlid,day after tomorrow blackwater, next community, then marine ,then business and end up dying useless. Whatever you do do it well
kumar
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby stefanm » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:23 am

kumar wrote:wow, I dint realize this would be an outdoor tank.

How are your lights coming up? cant wait to see that getting in shape

I think I might be late, but it would have been better with the coast-coast overflow outside the aquarium perimeter. That way it would have allowed better circulation and also not block light. As well the looks would have been cleaner.

Lol, I didn't realise either, just decided to measure up after a few vodka's, told the Mrs and she was really happy, bonus I get a huge sump, no extra heat in the house and could probably help in keeping the water temperature down, we've been having peak summer temps lately and the water so far has stayed below 28c, not sure how much the LED's will raise it.

Still plenty of time for the lights, probably be the last thing, I can cycle the tank and start stocking fish without the light. I had made the coast to coast when I had designed the tank for the inside space, have been thinking of changing it, shouldn't be too difficult or the other thing I was thinking is to paste some polyester or epoxy resin and sprinkle some sand as a back drop.

The water is straight out of the well, hence it's quite turbid, it's only for testing purposes.
stefanm
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby indracalcutta93 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:47 am

How is your tank going on Mr. stefanm ? please post more updates kindly.
indracalcutta93
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby stefanm » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:25 pm

No updates as of now, need to earn some money! The biggest cause for delay is that I need a battery back up and a phase selector for the house, to many power cuts here. Also Will be building another section for the sump, so I will have around 200 litres for my sump, hopefully will be up and running in July/August.
stefanm
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby Aayaan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:46 am

Wow !
Another build.
Another journey begins here. :ymhug:
The funny thing is that it feels like every tank is mine. :p A new addition of a fresh reefer to the list (doesn't matter if it's a FOWLR or a reef tank with just mushrooms) as if translates to the excitement of adding a fresh new tank to my possessions. It just makes me happy at the birth of a new salt tank. :ymparty:
Bring it on buddy. And, take your time. We want something solid and fit so as to be able to face the rough seas. No hurry mate :-bd
Aayaan
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby mithun » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:43 am

Good to have another reefer onboard :) How is the build going brother?
Mithun
M:8583865385
Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:If you want something done in a better way, do it yourself.

My 220Gal reef journal | My 150Gal reef journal
mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby stefanm » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:13 pm

Still taking my time, awaiting some payments, God knows when or if they will come, going to be making some DIY rocks, probably within the next week.

I can't find crushed oyster shells or crushed coral anywhere, so will be going to a beach tomorrow, which is famous for oyster and other sea shells.
stefanm
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

PreviousNext

Return to Saltwater Discussion