Starting my first aquarium, reef tank.

Be a responsible reefer
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Re: Starting my first aquarium, reef tank.

Postby stefanm » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:06 am

The USB socket for the Bluefish Mini power supply

usb.jpg

Heatsink

heatsink.jpg

Some inspiration, though mine will look different,

2fbd6348-5350-4b96-934a-a5ee092c14a0_zpse22745d3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stefanm
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Postby stefanm » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:35 am

mithun wrote:sure.. its pretty easy to find a second hand skimmer for a 40" tank size.. thats the most common size range people opt for and leave prematurely :P

Give me a call in case you dont be able to source one yourself, I will see if I can arrange one for you,... whats your location?

I'll take you up on that, keep an eye out for me please, thanks, I'm not in a rush, I have saved your number, will ping you in the next week or so.

Anyway, I woke at 5.30 this morning (really annoying!) with an idea/vision and thus have decided to have a brushed stainless steel cover fabricated, this will give me a tad more clearance inside the enclosure for the power supply and still come in at less than 40 mm thickness and should look more professional, i'll order the heatsinks this week, with the fans fully recessed, hopefully no more sleepless nights with the lighting.

I've ordered the stand today along with the arm/stand for the light, the stand will be cladded in marine ply with 2" steam beach beading with approx 2 mm gap between the beading strips (I might do large gaps, so stay tuned), i'll make a tutorial on how it's done, it's a relatively simple diy process and you can apply the polish yourself, it should run around 150 rs per square foot, i'll put that into perspective, the cost for a kitchen dealer of a factory made kitchen or wardrobe laminated cabinet door in 710 marine ply is roughly 300/- sq ft, this is sold on between 550 and 600 sqft.
stefanm
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby sunny_2k_99 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:41 pm

hi,

im looking for royal blue leds (cree or bridgrlux brand) any source in mumbai or online shop in india

Regards

sunny
sunny_2k_99
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby stefanm » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:11 am

^^China is your best best for most
stefanm
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Re: Starting my first aquarium, reef tank. some progress...

Postby stefanm » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:21 am

Ok, some progress over past couple of weeks.
Had to buy one of these, my glass guy's bit was worn.
Bit.jpg

Plumbing in and the first test of the tank, no leaks!

first test.jpg

Siphoned the water out and siliconed the coast to coast surface skimmer/weir, this leaks, so I have marked where I need to re-silicone and will repair.

coast to coast.jpg

Sump built and tested, there's a minor leak on the first baffle of the bubble trap, ran out of silicone and it skinned over a touch whilst I reloaded the gun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stefanm
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby stefanm » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:22 am

Sump pics...

sump test.jpg

sump build 2.jpg

sump build 1.jpg
stefanm
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby stefanm » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:25 am

The stand will be in this position.

stand position.jpg

For now it's on the balcony.

disp sump stand 1.jpg

disp sump stand 2.jpg
stefanm
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby stefanm » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:39 am

Today I received a pair of flexible returns, I was only going to use one, but since the MOQ was two, I decided to use both.

loc line return.jpg

I couldn't find a double female thread adapter, so I ended up cutting a standard FTA to fit, wasn't fun.

I got a call from a friend who's coming down from England next week, he's willing to carry a protein skimmer, so I ordered a used one on Monday, he's just received it and probably freaking out with the size of it. The skimmer, whilst it will fit the sump perfectly, won't fit the stand, so will be cutting off the cross beams from the base and either use a rubber mat or a thinner polystyrene sheet under the sump, will also need to raise the stand by around 30mm.
stefanm
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby indracalcutta93 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:09 am

Wow,Another Great thread.
DIY is great thing. I have tried to built protein skimmer, Have passed 75% marks. The needed pump with needle spike was not available, so had to improvised one. The cost of the proper pump is 2/3 of the branded one. So bought a reef octopus. But doing the DIY was real joy.
indracalcutta93
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby stefanm » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:34 pm

Indeed, anyway I had a friend visiting from England, said he was traveling light, offered to carry stuff for me, so I found a second hand, used for one year bubble magus c6, received it last week.
Some changes have happened, we've decided to keep the tank on my balcony, sump is in the garden, more to follow...
stefanm
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

PreviousNext

Return to Saltwater Discussion