Building New Salt Water System

Be a responsible reefer
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Re: Building New Salt Water System

Postby mr_feynman » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:29 pm

indracalcutta93 wrote:Here is the schematic of the tank & sump with plumbing. I have used 1.3/4" PVC pipes for two drains and 1/2" pipes for one return path. Sump is completed now, plumbing also done.
With a pump of 4000 Lt/H capacity I am facing a problem.
In the return chamber of sump, water level comes to a very low mark allowing some air to enter into stream, whenever I am allowing water of the pump to return in the Display Tank in full volume. But if 1/4 volume of the said water recycled back into sump's return chamber through a bypass valve , the water level remains at a safe mark submerging the pump in full. What to do ? :(( :(( :(( :-s :-s

Experts Kindly give your suggestions please.

add more water when the pump starts in full power!
See if that amount of water your sump can hold up when pump is off. Otherwise create siphon breaker hole with 90 deg pvc elbows in main tank drain holes in upright position.
Or you can make the sump return chamber smaller -- must do the math of lxbxh before any such adjustments.
mr_feynman
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Postby indracalcutta93 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:07 am

Dear mr_feyman,
Thank you for your help,
According to your suggestion, after increasing return section's water level and making an extra auto start syphon drain from DT, the said problem is quite solved.
Thank You again.
Now I have three drains, two measuring 1.1/4" each and one auto start syphon drain measuring 1.1/4" . ( 1 1/4" =910 gph) X 3 =2730 gph. (10334.17 LT/ H )
I think these will work perfectly in sync.
Now I will add salt water , and start cycling. Kindly give advices for any stumbling block please.

With regards to all.

indracalcutta93
indracalcutta93
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby mr_feynman » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:34 pm

indracalcutta93 wrote:Dear mr_feyman,
Thank you for your help,
According to your suggestion, after increasing return section's water level and making an extra auto start syphon drain from DT, the said problem is quite solved.
Thank You again.
Now I have three drains, two measuring 1.1/4" each and one auto start syphon drain measuring 1.1/4" . ( 1 1/4" =910 gph) X 3 =2730 gph. (10334.17 LT/ H )
I think these will work perfectly in sync.
Now I will add salt water , and start cycling. Kindly give advices for any stumbling block please.

With regards to all.

indracalcutta93

I am glad that it worked. You are most welcome!

inadracalcutta93 ... can you make this tank open top? I mean, no hood!
I know, this is totally personal taste, but, believe me, whenever I see an open top tank, be it planted or marine or reef, how much beauty it radiates, can't explain in words!

If you agree, you still can make it open top and go for the following points:

1. Replace the return line with 3/4" or 1/2" clear hose and a lily pipe! Lily pipes comes in various types and you need a pipe called violet pipe of straight pipe.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9-equ ... glass.html
Also, flexible hose reduces pump head pressure loss significantly if used properly. The less you have 90 deg or such bends the more you save on flow rate.

2. Initially can cover the tank with mesh screen lid. Once the fishes are acclimatized to the tank environment and has no aggression within the glass box... then you can remove the screen lid later on. Most of the cases fish jumps due to new environment, degrading tank water parameter, aggression, waking up a sleeping fish lighting up the tank suddenly and kids (sometimes stupid adults! /:) ) banging on the glass!

3. Can go with minimalistic equipments for light with open top; e.g. you can use kessil or similar reef pendants (even DIY) hanging over the water surface!

4. Don't know what pump you are using... but anyway you can split the hose with a tee and connect two violet pipes. In addition you certainly need wave maker in a 7 feeter! Look for minimalistic but effective wave makes like Jebao/Jecod cross flow wave maker.

Open top helps to have good oxygenation but be ready to do huge top offs due to evaporation!

You have a sump, so, hide most of the equipments there, try to make the display less cluttered and please do not make it looks like a science lab project w.r.t display.
I visualize, that 7 feeter as a streamlined tank with sleek reef pendants and shimmering water surface!
The choice and decision are yours only!

Best of luck!
mr_feynman
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby indracalcutta93 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:52 am

Dear mr_feynman,

Thank you for advises,

1.) For clear return line,- I have got your vision, It will be fantastic to have a clear look. Even drains could be made up with acrylic for a crystal clear look. I am on look up for these materials. The said lilly pipe / poppy pipe would not fit my tank due to 3" braces up there . So I have to do a quite DIY here.

2.) for open top,- Lets see what can be done, I have two Cats in my hose, one is Kabla and other Hema. His name may be Kabla but he does not seem so. This cat hunts everything except mice, and Hema ? she is always inquisitive of everything.

3.) For a realistic set up - I have already messed up with rigid pipe at the back and under the cabinet there .
I will post some photo of those, please bare with me mr_feynman.

Thanking again,
with warm regards to all,

indracalcutta93
indracalcutta93
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby mr_feynman » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:14 pm

indracalcutta93 wrote:Dear mr_feynman,

Thank you for advises,

1.) For clear return line,- I have got your vision, It will be fantastic to have a clear look. Even drains could be made up with acrylic for a crystal clear look. I am on look up for these materials. The said lilly pipe / poppy pipe would not fit my tank due to 3" braces up there . So I have to do a quite DIY here.

2.) for open top,- Lets see what can be done, I have two Cats in my hose, one is Kabla and other Hema. His name may be Kabla but he does not seem so. This cat hunts everything except mice, and Hema ? she is always inquisitive of everything.

3.) For a realistic set up - I have already messed up with rigid pipe at the back and under the cabinet there .
I will post some photo of those, please bare with me mr_feynman.

Thanking again,
with warm regards to all,

indracalcutta93

I understand your points!
One tip: you can look for flexible nozzle in return outlet. They are found in pneumatic goods store. I have seen these in NS Road stores.
https://cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-fh5tkm/p ... 50.jpg?c=2
mr_feynman
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby indracalcutta93 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:56 am

Dear Koushik905,
Extremely sorry for let reply,
Sure I will re adjust the baffles a little at the time of completion .

with warm regards,

indracalcutta93
indracalcutta93
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby indracalcutta93 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:51 am

Is it necessary to use RO water of " 0 " TDS for saltwater Aquarium ? I could not get the aforesaid 0 TDS water from local packaged drinking water supplier. Even they are negative to supple at least 45 TDS water. So I have assembled a new RO for my SW tank. But this is giving only 10 TDS. What to do.

Kindly help me seniors please.
Thank in advance.

indracalcutta93
indracalcutta93
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby indracalcutta93 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:25 pm

Dear KAC members,
updates after a long gap.
Sorry for the unintended delay. RO water with 10 TDS, is not giving any problem, at least till date there is no sign of nuisance algae. I have filled up the tank with RO water on 13.7.2016. It took nearly 5 days to produce 650 Ltrs. of clean water. The RO. could not be run continuously for a long time. There was a restriction for the said RO- one hour rest after each Hour of running . So I had to assemble a timer for that. It took nearly 12 Hrs. to produced 80 Ltrs. of clean water, expelling more than 500 Ltrs.
Now I know why the water bottling company had declined my order.

On 17.7.2016 salt was added . I have used 22 KG.( Rs. 4500/-) RED SEA CORAL PRO salt. Adding it cup by cup into the running sump( middle chamber). with a Temp of 32 C,aided by a running pump in the system, the salt dissolved instantly. Though the water got cloudy,it cleared overnight.
But more salt needs to be added ,since my tank + sump containing nearly 636 Ltrs. water, requires 26.96 kg salt.

Meanwhile,my ATS is now nearly complete. I have assembled it in a store bought clear plastic container. 18" X 12" X 12". Its a semi horizontal cascade concept .
I will post schematics and photo of that.

DT : 84" L X 21" W X 24" H
Sump 36" X 12' X 16"
Live rock 40 Kg.
coral dust substrate 40 Kg.
water 636 Liters
Phosphate 0
Nitrite 5
Nitrate 15

Have not added any ammonia or fish food or any thing . Waiting to get Nitrite and Nitrate to be 0.
Any thing go missing ? Seniors kindly give advises.
Thanks.

Indra.
indracalcutta93
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby indracalcutta93 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:05 pm

Updates Dear KAC Members,
Water tests were done on 13.8.2016.

Phosphate - 0.0
Nitrite - 0.0
Nitrate - 0.0
S.G. - 1.020
Added more salt to brought it on 1.023

Everything were nearly set, ready to add Fishy Friends.
Given order for clowns, Gobies and damsel .

Warm Regards.
Indra.

Here are some photographs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
indracalcutta93
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby indracalcutta93 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:10 pm

more photographs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
indracalcutta93
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

PreviousNext

Return to Saltwater Discussion